OP
OP
Bumgrundle

Bumgrundle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to look like it's her slime coat having issues, and picking up bits of detritus. (This from an LFS guy whom I trust)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to look like it's her slime coat having issues, and picking up bits of detritus. (This from an LFS guy whom I trust)

Could be brook:

Brooklynella:

Symptoms – This is most often seen in clownfish, but it can afflict any fish. The fish’s skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off, oftentimes causing excessive white mucous to form around the affected area(s).

Treatment options - Formalin bath, followed by additional formalin baths (as needed - but give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths). You can use formalin in a QT (at a much lower concentration than the bath), but great care must be taken to provide plenty of gas exchange as formalin will quickly deplete the water of oxygen. For this reason, doing baths is the safer option as the fish can be pulled from the formalin if showing signs of distress. Formalin-MS is preferred, as that contains 37% formaldehyde. However, in a bind, any medication containing formalin (ex. Quick Cure) is better than nothing. Alternative treatments for brook include metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex) and acriflavine (ex. Acriflavine-MS). A freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away.

OP
OP
Bumgrundle

Bumgrundle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday she finally found my cleaner shrimp, they made her clean as a whistle! No stuff on her at all, color good, still very emaciated, and not eating at all.
Woke up this morning, and she was dead =(
None of the huge spots and discoloration was on her yesterday.
Bummed, but much wiser.

IMAG0094.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are mainly going to eat dead skin cells. It wont clean your fish of all parasites and cure them. I'm sorry about your loss.

OP
OP
Bumgrundle

Bumgrundle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are mainly going to eat dead skin cells. It wont clean your fish of all parasites and cure them. I'm sorry about your loss.
Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah, it was all detritus, and mysis shrimp particals from feeding that they cleaned off. I don't think it was parasites at all, I think she was horribly stressed from the shipping, and was already emaciated when she arrived.
Working on a 10 gal QT as we speak. Any livestock I purchase in the future will go there first, no exceptions.
I do want to thank everyone for all the help info and advise, just a great community!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back