Is this Ich on my tang?

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, recently discovered that my purple tang is covered with white spots. It looks very like ich, but the spot is much larger and some of them are peeling off from the skin (still attached, looks like the skin is peeled off). It still eats, and looks fine.
IMG_9893.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

#MODS any chance you can switch to disease forum?
Thanks! Will post in that forum in the future

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi reefers, recently discovered that my purple tang is covered with white spots. It looks very like ich, but the spot is much larger and some of them are peeling off from the skin (still attached, looks like the skin is peeled off). It still eats, and looks fine.
IMG_9893.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg
These are mucus cones likely mixed in with ich and may have started with skin irritation.
How are you filtering the tank ( sump, hang on ?)
Treatment will with use of either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Other fish may not show these signs but keep an eye on them for development of spots or treat them also for safety

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If some of the spots seem to come and go from day to day - this is more of a suggestion of ich (or both ich and mucus cones) are at play. IF this is the case, you would probably want to treat all of your fish in QT with copper and prazipro per protocol - was this or your other fish quarantined?

Back