It was this big... Now its this big...

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of the clownfish eggs hatched last night. Expecting other half to hatch tonight. They are so much smaller than the fry of Maroons and Clarkii that I have messed with before. I don't know how in the ocean such a tiny little thing can float around in he ocean for 20 days as plankton, then go through metamorphosis, and then find there way to a reef and survive....
The less likely offspring are too survive the more they have. Deals with level of parental care etc, etc, etc. It's all a percentage game.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First video of clownfish babies. They are so small it's hard to get good footage.

baby GIF

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting new development in the brood tank. The video I posted above is actually not of clownfish larvae. By blind dumb luck, the initial batch of larvae that I harvested are either from my Orchid Dottybacks, or the Springeri Damsels. Based on research last night I am leaning to the Dottybacks.

With that being said, I have also harvested clownfish larvae. There are 2 distinct physically different larvae in the brood tank.
Initial care and requirements for both are very similar, but larval settlement is different in terms of timing. My fear is that the clownfish larvae are much faster growing and will begin to consume the other in time. we are on day 4 for the unknown brood, and day 3 for the clownfish. By my estimate last night there are approximately 60 clownfish fry and 90 of the other.
These are clownfish pics

1712326172096.png

1712327119864.png

My first batch looks like the 2nd set of larvae.

Love how there is always something new and exciting going on in reefing...

keep swimming friends.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting new development in the brood tank. The video I posted above is actually not of clownfish larvae. By blind dumb luck, the initial batch of larvae that I harvested are either from my Orchid Dottybacks, or the Springeri Damsels. Based on research last night I am leaning to the Dottybacks.

With that being said, I have also harvested clownfish larvae. There are 2 distinct physically different larvae in the brood tank.
Initial care and requirements for both are very similar, but larval settlement is different in terms of timing. My fear is that the clownfish larvae are much faster growing and will begin to consume the other in time. we are on day 4 for the unknown brood, and day 3 for the clownfish. By my estimate last night there are approximately 60 clownfish fry and 90 of the other.
These are clownfish pics

1712326172096.png

1712327119864.png

My first batch looks like the 2nd set of larvae.

Love how there is always something new and exciting going on in reefing...

keep swimming friends.
Dibs on a few dotty's...;):)
I take second dibs

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back