nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This information is so 2009.

haha j/k good read.

I'm going back to Japan this fall, plan to do some smuggling!

once again jk... haha I'm in a weird mood.

I am really going to Okinawa, Japan though.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I think that article is a bit strongly worded and rather cut & dry. Most of the retailers I've encountered were using the "Japanese" moniker simply because the wholesalers sold it to them as such. It's possible some of the wholesalers have been victim to the same misinformation, but I do know of a couple of importers that vehemently argued their stuff was truly Japanese, and I would hold them more responsible than others involved. I was actually threatened by one such company for my argument that their zoas were not truly Japanese zoas, and I wasn't even disparaging their product, just trying to get the facts straight for everyone. It's simply been passed along the chain to unaware retailers. I think the fact that they (glassbox) were specifically referring to the retailers as being at fault or dishonest is inaccurate and unfair. I would not look at the retailers as being shady simply for using the name they were given; perhaps not up on the latest industry subtleties. In the end, as long as we are aware that these are actually probably from Java or Kupang and not Japan, then who really cares. The country of origin is irrelevent in practical terms and has nothing to do with their value, and in the end they are legit corals so who cares about the dumb hype that a few have spun.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the article was completely based on the JDW craze. That article came out at a time where there's a bunch of Japanese Acan and Micros being advertised.

I also don't think the article was intended to put anyone down. I think the purpose was to inform people of the legalities of selling actual Japanese corals outside of Japan. The fact that advertising corals that are technically illegal to sell makes the saltwater livestock industry look like a bunch of smugglers. That's just what some of the anti-saltwater industry groups want to see to help get us shut down.

If I recall, GBD put out a similar article during the Rhyzo peak, another coral that is only collected in a place that is illegal to import out of...

kthehun89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are "japanese" corals collected from? Does it refer to corals picked in Japanese water, or simply coral that Japan has imported that we can't legally import.

I know with other animal hobbies like dart frogs, other countries have little to no import regulations. similar situation?

Acropolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though Reef2Reef has many more seasoned vets than RC, what's wrong with educating the newbies ? Unless of course you want them to stay that way.

Thanks for sharing.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article. Many of the so called Japanese coral are not from Japan. Also, they are not illegal to import into the united states. The true Japanese coral get exported to Hong Kong and then imported into the USA. This is the loop whole for import/export. This process is perfectly legal.

fragfarmer

Coral Wholesaler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Fish and Wildlife is inquiring with all the wholesalers here in L.A. They are very interested in what's going on.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good attitude and never too serious... i love it..

The only way to enjoy life... :wink::wink::wink::wink:

This information is so 2009.

haha j/k good read.

I'm going back to Japan this fall, plan to do some smuggling!

once again jk... haha I'm in a weird mood.

I am really going to Okinawa, Japan though.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good attitude and never too serious... i love it..

The only way to enjoy life... :wink::wink::wink::wink:

The thing is, for those that make a living in this industry, it's a serious matter......

If that FragFarmer character says USF&W are asking around, it's a big deal...

OP
OP
edwing206

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad nobody found this offensive. I see a lot of people post threads like, "Look at my new Japanese deepwater zoas". The sole purpose of this thread and the link is to let people know that just because they bought something as "JDW" doesn't mean it is. With the whole craze going on it looked like a good time to post it.
BTW, the article was posted today, so I'm guessing it's pretty recent....

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean all of the corals I have bought from vendors with tags like "Japanese" "Rare" "The best ever" is not really the truth, but just another form of marketing propaganda; I feel like Dez Bryant after being interviewd by the Dolphins :D

1smile1

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back