OP
OP
Z

zfreshexosphere85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so that answers questions 4 through 6. What about questions 1, 2, 3 and 7?

8. How deep is your sand in display and refugium if you have sand?
9. When was the last time you cleaned sand bed in tank?
Same salt

I haven’t cleaned the sand bed in main display in a month or so. The sand bed in main display is roughly 1to 2 inches

Sand bed in refugium is the miracle mud which is 2 Inches

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Two days ago I did a 20 % water change on my tank following the water change one my my clownfish was actively dying. My lobophyllia has not opened up yet. I tested all my levels nothing seemed to be super off. Alk 10.3 , calcium 400 , mag 1320, phos 0.25, nitrate 25. What could be off ? My flow or lighting has not changed. I added 1 capful of mb7 thinking my tank could possibly be depleted from bacteria. I have a 55gallon tank. My salinity was a little off I fixed this issue the very next day. Any thoughts ?

If I am understanding your post, this issue with the dying clownfish started when you did a water change. If true, then it seems reasonable that the problem is related to some aspect of whatever is involved with your water changes. But then, why aren't all of the fish sick?

My first thought is that there was some kind of contamination of the new salt water you added in.

Is it possible that the buckets you used for your water change were used by someone else for something else; perhaps the wife used a bucket to mop floors and there was residual detergent in the bucket?

If it is a contaminant of some kind, then water changes and carbon s a good place to start.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Two days ago I did a 20 % water change on my tank following the water change one my my clownfish was actively dying. My lobophyllia has not opened up yet. I tested all my levels nothing seemed to be super off. Alk 10.3 , calcium 400 , mag 1320, phos 0.25, nitrate 25. What could be off ? My flow or lighting has not changed. I added 1 capful of mb7 thinking my tank could possibly be depleted from bacteria. I have a 55gallon tank. My salinity was a little off I fixed this issue the very next day. Any thoughts ?
Think of anything else you may have done

TienDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happen to me a few year back. While mixing water in a 5 gallon bucket, a drop of dish washer detergent dropped without my knowledge. All the fishes died within 10 minutes. Sorry about your lost.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!

Chris Farley Hello GIF

calibrated refractometer?
possible equipment failure during change?

OP
OP
Z

zfreshexosphere85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am understanding your post, this issue with the dying clownfish started when you did a water change. If true, then it seems reasonable that the problem is related to some aspect of whatever is involved with your water changes. But then, why aren't all of the fish sick?

My first thought is that there was some kind of contamination of the new salt water you added in.

Is it possible that the buckets you used for your water change were used by someone else for something else; perhaps the wife used a bucket to mop floors and there was residual detergent in the bucket?

If it is a contaminant of some kind, then water changes and carbon s a good place to start.
I use the same bucket for taking out old water and putting in new. I did shut off the pumps for my return in my refugium down below d/t the water being too low until I could make new RO in the morning to dump in. My pumps in the main display were still going though. The other important thing I could mention was the drum that I was using to make saltwater had growth in it. I dumped and cleaned it and started new. Do I do another water change ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other important thing I could mention was the drum that I was using to make saltwater had growth in it. I dumped and cleaned it and started new. Do I do another water change ?

Do you know what the "growth" was? How did you clean the drum?

I'd be looking for something you did that is outside your normal routine. For example, the drum that you cleaned; is this the first time you used this drum?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this "growth" brown in the drum and do you use reef crystals salt? If so this is pretty normal and wont hurt anything. Clean it out or dont. I typically cleaned/clean mine every 6 months after I empty it with a water change. Run some ro and white vinegar or citric acid and then rinse well dry it out and wipe any remaining residue out refill and start again.

OP
OP
Z

zfreshexosphere85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the "growth" was? How did you clean the drum?

I'd be looking for something you did that is outside your normal routine. For example, the drum that you cleaned; is this the first time you used this drum?
I don’t I just cleaned it with tap water and napkins once it was dumped

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back