OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good you have a cover on your overflow. I would like to build one for mine, haven't thought how to go about it though.
I heard stories of snails blocking the overflow, and I have no emergency overflow, nor float switch for the main pump. So, a cover is at least some minimal protection. It was modeled after A DSA tank I saw in my LFS.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting some plumbing now....
IMG_8742.jpg
This is under the display, the drain and two return lines. The white stuff is non-hardening thread sealant, yet to be wiped off.
IMG_8741.jpg
This is the refugium by-pass valve. I could not find a gate in tru-union, so I'm just piping it up with a union on each side.
IMG_8740.jpg
This is the return spool piece, that mates up with the returns in the first pic.
IMG_8739.jpg
This is the main pump suction line. The refugium by-pass plumbs up to the union shown. The idea is that I have the potential to at least halve the flow through the refugium using the valve. The protein skimmer pump is in the back in the pic, ready to be mounted and hosed up.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a few unions myself. The ones from Ace have an O-ring that can slip out but the ones from BRS, the O-ring cannot fall out. All my unions will come from BRS now.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lazy it seems, so I took most of the day off today and tried to make a little progress. Installed a couple supports for my DT supply line, so that the bulkheads don't see any weight or stresses. Included a DT by-pass valve. Made a card board template for an acrylic filter sock holder (not looking forward to fabricating that).
DT_By-Pass_Valve.jpg
Supply_Line_Pipe_Supports1.jpg
Supply_Line_Pipe_Supports2.jpg

DT_By-Pass_Valve.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT_By-Pass_Filter_Socks.jpg
Yes. I wanted the SpongeBob house. I think it's awesome once covered in coralline.....
Finally_Spongebob.jpg

Finally_Spongebob.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your overflow cover will keep fish ot of there also. I have a Flame Hawk that I thought was dead for about six months. I found him in the overflow a couple of weeks ago. I finally got him out and a few days later, he is back in there again. He seems to like it in there. :) If I ever get him out again, I will be making a cover also.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justin! I also worked on a couple mounting bosses to raise my circulation and skimmer pumps up, level with their bulkheads. Going to try the mouse pad idea for a little dampening. I need to find someone local (hint hint) with a bench/disc sander so I can trim up these ply pieces. Five minuets work with the right tool, that I don't have!
Skimmer Motor.jpg
Skimmer Motor Mounting Boss.jpg

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone personally with that. You might try Buddy, his screen name is ole man. He does some carpentry work and may have it. Just post in the ETRC section and I'm sure you'll find a local with the right tools.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your overflow cover will keep fish ot of there also. I have a Flame Hawk that I thought was dead for about six months. I found him in the overflow a couple of weeks ago. I finally got him out and a few days later, he is back in there again. He seems to like it in there. :) If I ever get him out again, I will be making a cover also.
Funny Gary! Probably lots to eat in there, even in the dark. The way my tank sits, I need a tall chair to even reach that cover. I'm a little worried about maintaining the area. Hope it doesn't need much, or often.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very special thanks to Jeff McRae over at WoodCraft for graciously trimming up my plywood pump mounting! I'll use a mouse pad trimmed to fit between the pump and ply, coat the piece and then epoxy it to the bottom of the cabinet.
Pump_boss.jpg
Played with locating the skimmer overflow. I'll need another wooden stand to get it up to the height I need.
skimmer overflow.jpg
Finally received the power supply. Bought a Mr. DJ on amazon that was delivered to the wrong address, and was then sent this alternate. Will mount it soon. Need a little more woodworking for that too. Ugh.
power supply.jpg

Pump_boss.jpg

skimmer overflow.jpg

power supply.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loosing patience with this build. I just want some water flowing, and it seems there' so, so, much more to do and money to spend. Ugh!

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loosing patience with this build. I just want some water flowing, and it seems there' so, so, much more to do and money to spend. Ugh!

Lol stick with it, your doing things right, which as you know will benefit you and keep you much happier in the long run. Keep up the good work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back