New IM 150 EXT build. Diving into the deep end of the pool

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you line the stand with pond liner? I’ve read that people do this but I don’t know what it would accomplish that a good bead of silicone wouldn’t.

i used a pvc table sheet which is like 120mil.
table cover.JPG

Very tough, cheap, and water proof.
But i used that to line the bottom of my stand.

Thanks! It’s actually 4” from the wall in the pictures, but I hadn’t accounted for ball valves. I may lean on you a bit as I get this thing going since you just went through it!
Edit: Picture Removed.

you need min, id say 7 inches... more is better tho... unless your 90's at the top are really really low profile...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH i also forgot to let you know, your stand is too close to the back wall...

You need about 4 inches to clear your rear overflow.... and about 7 inches if your going to use ball valves on the return.

I have pictures of the exact messurements, i can show you if you want, but didn't post as i didn't want to steal attention from your thread.

I also finished setting up my IM150 EXT not too long ago, so i am very well versed in that tank.

Lastly, i would keep your doors off until you finished everything.
I can't tell you how much easier access to the bottom of the tank is with the doors off, and you will need to get back there a lot if you haven't finished your plumbing yet.
Is there a reason the ball valve can’t go on in the stand, on the sump end of the pipe? I plan to split the rerun pipe asap to avoid crossing pipes behind the tank.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran ball valves right in the stand. Worked fine just can’t easily watch water level and see the change at the same time. On my new tank I put it beside the overflow. It’s better if that works for your build.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason the ball valve can’t go on in the stand, on the sump end of the pipe? I plan to split the rerun pipe asap to avoid crossing pipes behind the tank.
I guess you can, but the ball valves i got from IM were setup like that.
They are also unions so the entire fixture would be removed from that joint.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dedicated circuits have been installed. I added one at switch height above the tank for convenience when using a power head to blow rocks off.

Attachments

• IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 3

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dedicated circuits have been installed. I added one at switch height above the tank for convenience when using a power head to blow rocks off.
You could place another up at the ceiling so you don’t have to have the lighting cord running down. (If you’re hanging it up there).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back