just a clown fish? They 8 cycling. Temp low?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8. I'm still @ 25 ppm of ammonia. I been adding Dr. Tim's. I'm getting new reef tank impatient syndrome and i read that clownfish are hardy and can help the cycle.but I also feel it could be quite mean and "anti-reef" to put a clown fish in a tank with .25 ammonia I don't want a sick Nemo. Another thing LFS told me 150 watt heater would be fine for my 51 gallon system. But it's not getting it above 76.2 F. should I get another heater? Maybe a small one? Or just spend the money and buy a ฿200 watt so I don't have to have two? Thanks guys.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 ammonia probably means you're using an API test which could be inaccurate. What is your nitrate reading at?

As far as heaters I would recommend the next size up, 2 of them, and an inkbird controller. Heaters are the number 1 cause of tank crashes and shouldn't be dismissed.

I keep one heater from 77-78 degrees and the other at 76-77. That way if my main heater fails the second one kicks on immediately. The controller is the most important piece of equipment you can buy imo. Over 6 years I've had 2 heater failures where it saved everything.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 ammonia probably means you're using an API test which could be inaccurate. What is your nitrate reading at?

As far as heaters I would recommend the next size up, 2 of them, and an inkbird controller. Heaters are the number 1 cause of tank crashes and shouldn't be dismissed.

I keep one heater from 77-78 degrees and the other at 76-77. That way if my main heater fails the second one kicks on immediately. The controller is the most important piece of equipment you can buy imo. Over 6 years I've had 2 heater failures where it saved everything.
I appreciate the response, so if I have a 51 gallon system, and I have 150 W heater, what would be a good wattage to buy for the second heater?

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8. I'm still @ 25 ppm of ammonia. I been adding Dr. Tim's. I'm getting new reef tank impatient syndrome and i read that clownfish are hardy and can help the cycle.but I also feel it could be quite mean and "anti-reef" to put a clown fish in a tank with .25 ammonia I don't want a sick Nemo. Another thing LFS told me 150 watt heater would be fine for my 51 gallon system. But it's not getting it above 76.2 F. should I get another heater? Maybe a small one? Or just spend the money and buy a ฿200 watt so I don't have to have two? Thanks guys.
I would say .25 ammonia is okay for clowns. Personally, I would wait until the ammonia, and nitrITE are at 0 before you add any fish. Having these two at 0 ensures your cycle is complete. And for the heater, I would upgrade to the 200 watt.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response, so if I have a 51 gallon system, and I have 150 W heater, what would be a good wattage to buy for the second heater?
I run Eheim 125-watt heaters on 2,20-gallon fresh water and 1-20 gallon shallow frag tank and also on one 29-gallon reef. My Eheim heaters keep the temps stable.

A 51-gallon tank I would run a 200-watt heater.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh also today i am not detecting nitrites, or trace amounts. Yesterday the tank had like .50ppm so IDK.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh also today i am not detecting nitrites, or trace amounts. Yesterday the tank had like .50ppm so IDK.
Not nitrite. Nitrate.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please dont put any fish in to cycle the tank, bottled bacteria is way better. Less stress on fish

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do people add ammonia to a cycling tank if there's already ammonium in the tank? I mean if mine is reading .25 ppm why would I add more?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in reef aquaria. Your focus is ammonia and measurable nitrates.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do people add ammonia to a cycling tank if there's already ammonium in the tank? I mean if mine is reading .25 ppm why would I add more?
When you add ammonia you are feeding the the biome ( Ammonia-oxidizing archaea AOA, and ammonia oxidizing bacteria AOB ) that process ammonia to nitrite and the bacteria that process nitrite to nitrate.

IDK 0.25-ppm has been reported as a testing response meaning low ammonia on some test kits.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add ammonia you are feeding the the biome ( Ammonia-oxidizing archaea AOA, and ammonia oxidizing bacteria AOB ) that process ammonia to nitrite and the bacteria that process nitrite to nitrate.

IDK 0.25-ppm has been reported as a testing response meaning low ammonia on some test kits.
this seems so counterintuitive for a newbie like myself. If I'm reading .25 ppm or .5 isn't the ammonia from my aquarium already providing an AOA?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this seems so counterintuitive for a newbie like myself. If I'm reading .25 ppm or .5 isn't the ammonia from my aquarium already providing an AOA?
There's nothing in your brand new tank producing ammonia presently unless you used real live wet ocean rock? The ammonia source is you soon to be replaced by fish.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing in your brand new tank producing ammonia presently unless you used real live wet ocean rock? The ammonia source is you soon to be replaced by fish.
IDK the rock i got came from a large filtered water tank from lfs. they said it was live.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in reef aquaria. Your focus is ammonia and measurable nitrates.
The OP is using Dr. Tim’s. The instructions specify testing nitrites. Dr. Tim has a video talking about how high NITRITES will stall the cycle with his product. The literature that comes with the product the OP is using instructs you to do a water change if Nitrites and ammonia climb above 5ppm.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back