Just Beautiful proof of H202 doing its thing!

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having discovered h202 (thanks @twilliard ) and all the others out there for taking all those first steps in finding a treatment for Cyano throughout the years! My refugium still has some cleaning up to do, but I am thrilled with the results.

Any side effect? Sure, my water is crystal clear!

I had to shut down my GFO and Carbon during this process, and my Hammer coral is coming back from the dead as well... you read that right. No Corals harmed, but one recovering from the other stuff I was doing. Kind of nice to get to share a success this time around instead of shouting for help!

Before and after shots.
Before: 6-02-16
After: 6-16-2016
before.jpg
after.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to discredit; Someone said h2o2 might have an effect on inverts? Has this been proven and is it only related to overdosing h202?

I am asking because I used h202 for cyano with success, however if I was stressing my inverts I didn't bother to look nor have I noticed. Really just for future reference and any concerns for future h202 treatment by others.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazine!
H2o2 is a new key method to the eradication of cyanobacteria ( cylindrospermum )
it makes me happy to see I have helped make a difference in someone's tank.
Thanks Diesel for the tag!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to discredit; Someone said h2o2 might have an effect on inverts? Has this been proven and is it only related to overdosing h202?

I am asking because I used h202 for cyano with success, however if I was stressing my inverts I didn't bother to look nor have I noticed. Really just for future reference and any concerns for future h202 treatment by others.
*Direct* exposure can be detrimental to any inverts. They key is dilution while dosing.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Direct* exposure can be detrimental to any inverts. They key is dilution while dosing.
Exactly. I was able to dose into my refugium ( my cyano had moved out of the DR and into there) and it was the first place it hit. I have snail and hermit crabs everywhere else.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone post the basics of dosage and period? has this also helped with GHA?

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some follow-up questions -

one should turn off Carbon GFO or keep them running?

has anyone used peroxide with a clam in the tank?

I assume it will affect an ATS, has anyone had any experience with this?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doesn't matter if you turn them off. In 200 pages of peroxide threads we never needed to know any info on those lines to get the logged results.

Yes on ATS, it varies. The flora they contain are directly peroxide sensitive but those are also self regenerating. They'll grow again if they were affected

Clams not on sensitive list

Sensitives list and considerations:

People have killed coral or animal X by adding Kalk. That doesn't mean Kalk is lethal, this is a list from 200 pages of repeating data it doesn't cover outliers.

Most sensitive is lysmsta shrimp
Xenia
Coralline
Plants
Anemones don't die but act mad
Hermodice fireworms, and a few of them lost isn't a big deal. The rare invaded tanks would be an issue
Pods, worms and brittle stars are not lost in the known safe dilutions (one mil per ten gals)

I noticed just the other day in the reefcentral chem forum, poster TMZ is still repeating total loss of pods and microfauna in peroxide dosed systems and not to use it... same info recycled from 2010 threads/dissuasions.

Non sensitives:
Any fish we keep that we see in reef tank threads. Again we are reviewing last ten yrs info, no idea how new species will behave.

No known stony corals are on the sensitives list. any coral claimed lost by peroxide has twenty non loss counterparts in threads. Bright lighting would be ideal to reduce during treatments if extra safety hedge is wanted. The organisms enduring treatment are already under free radical stress from the peroxide they don't need extra photosynthetic free radicals driven hard as normal production mode

Considering peroxide means not in production mode

Last edited:

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does being on the sensitive list likely mean loss at the 1 ml per 10 gallon dosing level?

Sorry I am being so cautious- my cyano is most under control- it is my GHA that has gotten out of control. So while I would be happy to use such an easy solution to help get rid of cyano (and maybe help with my GHA) i am trying to balance it with just staying the normal course.

I do have a cleaner shrimp (along with sexy shrimp) and a rock anemone with a just added deresa clam that is doing well right now but I am anxious.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advisable to be cautious this is totally unnatural cheating lol agreed.

I think only lysmata would be a 90% likely loss all else no harm but let's see full tank pic in prep. Make him camp out in a jar somewhere for a couple days now you have excuse to set up a reefbowl Hilton

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a statement regarding dosing peroxide into the tank water. Even though we can see it works by and large the absolute Clincher method to beat cyano is to thoroughly clean the entire tank of it and then dose peroxide in its complete absence.

That inversion is the secret to being algae/bryopsis/cyano/dictyota/valonia/everything free the entirety of reefing says an old algae free reef. bowl.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given that I want to be cautious and try and keep my shrimps alive (I have a cleaner, a peppermint and 3 sexy anemone shrimp) much less some xenias- I am going to try dosing at 1ml per 12 gallons. Again I don't have a ton of cyano and mostly have already brushed them off. Any unseen downsides?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lysmata is still likely loss in any dose, although many statements of them surviving 1:10 exist. We find less disappointment if they isolate the shrimp before dose

The peps have a better chance and the thors will likely survive the 1:12 going off prior posts on them

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I still expect to see some improvement in the cyano and GHA at doses of 1/12? could I go as low as 1/14?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back