OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm at a stand still other than toying with sump designs at the moment, I've still got this guy filled to about 85% testing it out, still got some gold fish running around. Pieces and parts should start arriving now with in the next few days and over the course of the next few weeks. Jlobes do you have any links to places where you've bought it? I figure i'm going to need a LOT of rock for this project.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the Marco Rock website? If you're interested In going that route, like I said you can find the cement much cheaper.
The cement product is called emaco gp and the liquid is acryl60(mixed with h2o or not). I'm not at the pc, but I have a link to a website to purchase the above products. Hope that helps

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jlones ya i figured it out it was a total duh moment for me, it didnt dawn on me that you were talking about a brand name. I googled it and figured it out pretty quick though!

So update time!

Today i got my first order in from Marine Depot including but not limited to:

7 bulk heads of various sizes
3 boxes of the purple reef epoxy
My external 100PX-X 1300 GPH water pump
Aquamaxx GFO reactor and pellets
3 hydra vortex water flow accelerators
Filter sock
True union check valve

Still waiting on my EM300 Skimmer, their shipment has been stuck in customs for days, but the site says in stock now and they told me i was on the top of the list so that should be here in a few days now.

I've got one overflow wier modified tonight to accept slightly larger bulkheads and all cleaned out. So tommorrow time to tackle the other one.

I suppose the tank has been full of water now for well over two weeks and no leaks yet and my patch has held up perfectly so i think i'm good there but for safety I plan on stress testing it for another month at least. The feeder goldies i have in it are still enjoying being in a pond so that tells me there is nothing super toxic in it. So once i have the stand built ill drain it down and clean it out one more time before the big lift.

So now that ive got bulkheads pumps etc, i really need to finalize my dual refugiums and sump design. Since my pump has a 13' max head i plan on running one extra pipe up into the ceiling at about 7' and across to water room so i can pump water out of the system for water changes and straight down the sink. Which should put me according to the pan world site ate 720 gph for the tank and at about 480 gph to the wc line up into the ceiling. Which means i should be able to pump out 10% in about 6 minutes.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i was looking at the 50hz curve it should be around 960GPH and 780GPH respectively … i knew something wasn't right lol. So 10% out in under 4 minutes :wink

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank_banner2.jpg

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share with you all my current 75 gallon setup. I'm running out of room and I need more corals, clams, scallops, nudi's, fish etc thus why the HUGE new tank.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like taking a dremel tona high dollar aquarium because you dont like the hole sizes in the over flows, LOL. Both over flows are now ready and fitted for all of mt bulkheads.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been saying for a while now I would post some prelim 3D models up. I'm finally getting there with my initial stand designs.
450-tank-plumb1.jpg
450-tank-top-down1.jpg
So again I'm not done, but I think I'm going to build two refugiums since I have the cement for it. I can make both of those out of a single 4' x 8' sheet of acrylic for around 180 dollars from home depot. The sump I have sitting behind me as well as the pump. As I get closer to finishing up the 3D rendering I'll get it posted to see if any of you have valuable input.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see my attention to detail is very high as I want this to go as smooth as possible, you can see in the top down I actually put the crack and the patch in. The big 2½" pipe is electrical, goose necked and it'll be holed over the refugium just incase it ever leaked it wont electrocute me or my livestock, it'll be connected to a GFI outlet above the tank in the ceiling. There is already electrical lines run there that I can tap into for that. Then i'll put a HQ power strip upside down on the bottom of the top and that way all cords can be drip looped above the sump. I have the outlet lines plumbed here from the pump and up and out of the overflow weirs. The clear piece is the check value that I ordered from Marine Depot, Between the pump and the CV, i'll have a "T" joint and two ball valves the other half of that T will go up and through the tank on the overflow on the left side and up into the ceiling and then across the reef room, through the lab, and into the water room and down again into my food service sink. This will allow me to do water changes in record time as I'll be able to just "pump" the bad water into the sink in under 5 minutes (40 gallons or just under 10%) at an estimated 8½' head. Using a volume calculator I've estimated with 400lbs of rock, 400lbs of sand, and 40/20 respectively in the fugi's, thickness of the containers, water levels, pumps, plumbing etc, I should be around a 421 Gallon total capacity.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before anyone asks, that structure is a dual framed structure with two separate supporting mechanics where weight is distributed to both frames and directly to the floor from both of them. They are secured to each other in a multitude of points. Each corner is 4x6 and each strut is 4x4. With the vertical load of an stud length 2x4 (1½"x3½") around 390lbs this increases incrementally when you lessen the height. The total stand height is 4' and the longest point for any one 2x4 is around 3'4" this puts the vertical load at around 780lbs, with the inner top frame made from 2x6's it allows the outer frame and supports to be secured to the inner at all critical locations, and with a total of 20 supporting 2x4's this thing should support up to and over 15,600lbs of total weight. It will be sitting directly on the concrete slab with nothing between it and the structure. The total weight calculated out to 3,820lbs. Far below my estimated capacity.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One final note my Aqua-maxx skimmer left Los Angeles yesterday ... finally 2 months after ordering it and it being on back order.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real movement yet, other than I've finalized the initial design ... I think. I've got enough acrylic cement left to make my own custom refugiums/sump.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm about to start working on building the stand. I've finally gotten around to saving up a few dollars to buy some wood. Made a new friend ... who just happens to be a contractor ... with discount status at Lowes. But I've also got a client who wanted a bigger tank .... GRRR so I'm also working on moving a 120 gallon out of some kids house this weekend to mine so it can get cleaned up.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait to see this beast down the road once shes packed with life!! Did you say the size of the tank (Gallons)? I would have fallen over if I saw that tank for $250!!! Congrats on the Find!!

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been quiet some time since I've last done an update to this thread, but a lot has gone on since I started that wasn't really worthy of posting until now! Since starting this thread my maintenance business has gotten a LOT busier. I had so many requests to open a store that I started Reef Savers Aquatic Services as a full out coral shop October 1st of this year. I've collected most of the plumbing parts I needed and my stand guy finally got around to building my stand out of 3/8" angle iron. I've got it most of it coated with a rustoleum primer!

Attachments

• primer1.jpg
    primer1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 161
  • primer2.jpg
    primer2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 168
OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again it has been a while and for those of you tagging along I've got loads of pictures to share with you. At some point I'm going to have to catalog all the pictures of the process along the way! So it's been a long six or seven months but the end is (at least for getting it up and jump starting the cycle process) is in sight!

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stress test drain!

On December 1st I drained out 400+ gallons of fresh tap water that I used to stress test my acrylic welding job. This water had bee in the tank from the time I started this thread. There was no way I was going to put a 500+ gallon system up without properly stress testing it. Which was fine because we had to get the stand built and lots of planning went into this build. As well as I had been collecting LR and other peoples systems for more parts pumps and various things!

Attachments

• Draining.jpg
    Draining.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 164

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back