Kat's Esoteric Biotope

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KitKat, you gonna keep this running after the contest? Given the time to grow in, it will look amazeballs. Should a cool concept.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KitKat, you gonna keep this running after the contest? Given the time to grow in, it will look amazeballs. Should a cool concept.

I might move all of it it to a bigger tank. However fall is here and temperatures will be better, that will play a role in my decision. I travel a lot so having wild fluctuation in the pico is not healthy.

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might move all of it it to a bigger tank. However fall is here and temperatures will be better, that will play a role in my decision. I travel a lot so having wild fluctuation in the pico is not healthy.

Got ya. I've been lucky with my pico. I'm home a lot, so I top it off 2-3 times a day. You can't put a ATO on it??

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya. I've been lucky with my pico. I'm home a lot, so I top it off 2-3 times a day. You can't put a ATO on it??
The chamber for the float switch might be able to accommodate the JBJ ATO float switch but i recently gave that away to a friend so no spare ATO. I always wanted to make a hamster bottle ATO but that would require modifying the hood. It may be fine as-is once it gets colder weather. Then I would need a heater. :) There certainly is no room for both a heater and a float switch

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October 1, 2014

I'm sad that the contest has ended, this little tank was a challenge and fun at the same time. I knew right away that I wanted something out of the box, something different.
Getting corals to grow o the tree was especially challenging, only because time was not on my side. I wanted blue cloves and yet the 3 shipments I received were all DOA. It took the longest time to find a rock at my LFS. I fragged and glued but it seemed the corals were not going to work out. Well, 4 weeks later, everything I ever glued on to the tree that never grew has grown. Lol, go figure. So this tree is a true "Tree of Life" It has bits of red grape macro, blue ochtodes, blue cloves, GSP, Xenia and a polyp or two of some zoa. :)
I really can't wait for the corals to start spreading. I'll post an update even if the contest is over.

Some end of competition pictures for you.
My Miniature Garden.

Under LEDs and CFL. FTS
DSCF3240edit.jpg
DSCF3239edit.jpg

DSCF3242edit.jpg
DSCF3243edit.jpg

Potted Maganos in a Little Red Wagon
DSCF3245edit.jpg

Potted Sunny D's
DSCF3246edit.jpg

The Birdhouse
DSCF3247edit.jpg

Big Bird
DSCF3248edit.jpg

Li'l Bit
DSCF3249edit.jpg

Bugs with some mushies that I realized glow like mad under actinics ha ha
DSCF3250edit.jpg

Goldilocks the yellow neon goby and 3 sexy shrimp along with some snails and a micro hermit crab make up the other critters.
DSCF3254edit.jpg

For accounting:
GSP $50 Even though I did not use all of the GSP I originally had
Blue Cloves $30 Even though I did not use all of it in here
Sunny D's about 15 polyps $75
Odds and end bits of coral that remained stuck $10
Total $165

Thank you for the opportunity to participate, I really enjoyed this.
~Kat

Last edited:
OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October 10th. Tank is still cute. :)
Had to run a heater last 2 days but temperatures are back up again so I unplugged it.
20141010_171928.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations Kat! just stopped back in and saw your updated pictures. LOVE the pic with the sexy shrimp in the pots. I really enjoyed your little tank's journey - loved it!

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it looks great when the temperature is between 77-79, outside of that it gets all ticked off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back