Keeping lionfish fed while on vacation

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first post. I do not have my 40 breeder setup but this December I will and will be putting a dwarf lionfish in there and have the tank based around him. I hope to get him to eat frozen food eventually. My question is how long can he go without eating when I’m on vacation? And if it is not very long could I just put some chromis in before I leave so he can snack on them while I’m gone? I have a feeling my friend that usually come won’t be too confortable feeding a venemous fish frozen fish

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thanks for making your first post - let's see if we can get some help with your question....

#reefsquad

#WelcometoR2R

Reefjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first post. I do not have my 40 breeder setup but this December I will and will be putting a dwarf lionfish in there and have the tank based around him. I hope to get him to eat frozen food eventually. My question is how long can he go without eating when I’m on vacation? And if it is not very long could I just put some chromis in before I leave so he can snack on them while I’m gone? I have a feeling my friend that usually come won’t be too confortable feeding a venemous fish frozen fish
Did you ever figure anything out? I’m very curious as I’d like a Lionfish but this is my main worry..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding your lionfish is going to be your biggest challenge, I suggest you do tons of research. Start by searching my threads to find many tips and observations. Click on my name and then show all threads.

A lion can go a couple of weeks without eating, likely longer. You can't preload, as it were, especially a fuzzie will just gorge himself to death. Its best to feed really well before you leave, and if you have a freind dump some ghosties or a molly in the tank at least once a week.. If you dont have someone, or a service help you out, you just have to hope for the best.

Reefjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been, and this sounds like what most people are saying. Thanks for the help I’ll look more into it as well.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back