Keeping Track of what is in the tank

fishbish123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To most this sounds stupid but I suffer from OCD, ADD and ADHD.. I have over 10 coral, frags, shrimp, snails, clams.... the list goes on. I was wondeing if anyone had a system down for keeping a binder of some sorts to always have that info on hand? To most this is easy but im having a heck of a time so please be nice.. lol Thanks in advance.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be cool to have a journal with pics of coral or fish, with date arrived, number of polyps etc.

I know a lot of people here do keep very detailed journals of their reef, hopefully one will chime in. There is an app that helps with tracking water testing results, I wonder if that also can track livestock

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a workbook with a sheet for parameters, dosing formulas, coral growth, and notes. Ex:

IMG_3626.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started something like this and had an excel file with the Coral name, location in the tank, PAR requirements, etc. and then life hit and now… I think I know maybe what 3 or 4 of my acros are and the rest is information that has been lost to the universe. I realized that I wasn’t having fun because I was stressing out about everything being so perfect and let it go.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget what it was called within seconds, heck I don’t recall hardly any “trade name” …. also the latin names change too often for corals IMO …
anyway, good question ,…I did something similar in Apex “notes”. but quit

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be cool to have a journal with pics of coral or fish, with date arrived, number of polyps etc.

I know a lot of people here do keep very detailed journals of their reef, hopefully one will chime in. There is an app that helps with tracking water testing results, I wonder if that also can track livestock
A livestock tracking app would be a good idea, idk if one like that exist

zberq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the app, Aquarimate. It graphs all your testing, has a section to keep track of all your livestock where you are able to keep track of when you added it and it has a section to track all of your equipment.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40 fish, but there could be 30 or 50, I have no idea. As for corals, I have less of an idea. Some of my fish I may see once a month if I am lucky as there are way to many hiding places. Some of my fish are also over 30 years old, some 15. I am lucky I know how many Grand Kids I have. :cool:

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a binder that I keep all the invoices from livestock purchases . Most sellers online even include pics! Very simple. My LFS doesn’t really do invoices, so those I have to log myself.

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a free app called Aquaticlog. You can keep track of what’s in your tank,
dosing, parameters, and so much more!
+1 aquaticlog. I use it for all my reminders and tracking parameters as well as livestock.

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a diary, old fashioned notebook and pen. I find it enjoyable to write it out and sometimes flipping back through, my notes are more helpful that just having filling out boxes in a database. I do keep a list in the back of acquisition and (as applicable) loss dates.

Having kept reef tanks since 1998 ( compared to Paul, I am a newbie), I have also learned using an app can be problematic when the app stops being supported. My notebooks are always there.

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40 fish, but there could be 30 or 50, I have no idea. As for corals, I have less of an idea. Some of my fish I may see once a month if I am lucky as there are way to many hiding places. Some of my fish are also over 30 years old, some 15. I am lucky I know how many Grand Kids I have. :cool:
Paul, can you share a few pictures of
your tank?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back