OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock List

Well, with sad results from observing the clowns for quite a few weeks and loosing a few Picassos, I've decided NO ocellaris blood in this tank. The ocellaris or snowflake blood within the ocellaris are agreesive fishes. First the fancy snowflake killed a pair of picassos, so they were removed. Next the Black Ice and SnowOnyx got agressive. So, they are all out of the community, excommunicated.

So, what I'm watching now is Onyxs, Platinums and Picassos to see how they do together. Someone recommended naked clowns as they're pretty docile. I'll look into that.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with sad results from observing the clowns for quite a few weeks and loosing a few Picassos, I've decided NO ocellaris blood in this tank. The ocellaris or snowflake blood within the ocellaris are agreesive fishes. First the fancy snowflake killed a pair of picassos, so they were removed. Next the Black Ice and SnowOnyx got agressive. So, they are all out of the community, excommunicated.

So, what I'm watching now is Onyxs, Platinums and Picassos to see how they do together. Someone recommended naked clowns as they're pretty docile. I'll look into that.
hmmmm... very interesting observation. do you have any local breeders you can talk to getting a batch? I think for me, one of the biggest factors of pursuing the clownfish/anemone tank was I finally got a chance to pick up a batch of clowns that have been raised together from birth. I know the temptation though of setting up the ultimate clownfish collection in one tank. so many awesome clowns out there now. anyway, keep us posted. I'm sorry to hear about the other clowns. :(

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm... very interesting observation. do you have any local breeders you can talk to getting a batch? I think for me, one of the biggest factors of pursuing the clownfish/anemone tank was I finally got a chance to pick up a batch of clowns that have been raised together from birth. I know the temptation though of setting up the ultimate clownfish collection in one tank. so many awesome clowns out there now. anyway, keep us posted. I'm sorry to hear about the other clowns. :(

No, nothing local unfortunately... have to go to the hatcheries. Thanks for the recommendation. I checked it out already & unfortunately it won't work for me.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nothing local unfortunately... have to go to the hatcheries. Thanks for the recommendation. I checked it out already & unfortunately it won't work for me.
either way, keep us posted on the progression. what's your time frame on putting the clowns and/or anemones in the 120g?

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, with removing all the snowflake ocellaris bloodlines, I'm down 10 fishes that I need to find replacements or the colony isn't big enough. After I choose some new fishes to go with the Onyxs, Platinums and Picassos I'm already holding, I still need to quarantine them before I transfer ALL fishes at the same time, so they don't pre-establish territories. It's going to be another few weeks now.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, with removing all the snowflake ocellaris bloodlines, I'm down 10 fishes that I need to find replacements or the colony isn't big enough. After I choose some new fishes to go with the Onyxs, Platinums and Picassos I'm already holding, I still need to quarantine them before I transfer ALL fishes at the same time, so they don't pre-establish territories. It's going to be another few weeks now.
ah. sounds good. what did you have in mind for replacements?

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah. sounds good. what did you have in mind for replacements?

I'm OPEN to suggestions. I need to pick an additional pair of Picassos to replace the one I lost and thinking about checking out those Naked clowns. The Naked clowns are ocellaris though, but I'm told they are really docile. How many more true percs are there that is captive bred?

Click on photos for short videos...
Sea & Reef Picassos #3

Sea & Reef Picassos #4

Sea & Reef Naked Clowns

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm OPEN to suggestions. I need to pick an additional pair of Picassos to replace the one I lost and thinking about checking out those Naked clowns. The Naked clowns are ocesllaris though, but I'm told they are really docile. How many more true percs are there that is captive bred?
I'm partial to Picasso's. LoL. the crazier the pattern, the better. I would like to add some juvi Onyx in my tank when I get a chance. maybe in the future, I'll have another clownfish/anemone tank with Occy's. haha. :)

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Clowns that I'm Considering...

Man thats alot of sweet clowns! How many pairs are you going to keep??

I missed responding to this question earlier. Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking of 15 to 20 total... going to be a clownfish community tank with different perculas and tamed docile oscellaris, if there are any. Here's a few more I'm considering.

Click on photos
for short videos...

Sea & Reef Extreme Misbar True Percs #1

Sea & Reef Extreme Misbar True Percs #2

Sea & Reef Marine Mochas
(chocolate anyone?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting Decision

Tested the following...
1. Kessils - 2x A350w by themselves, 3x is much better
2. Kessils w/T5s - 2x A350w plus 2x54w Ice Cap T5HO ATi Blue Plus (too blue for my taste, ATi Aquablue Special much better)
3. Kessil w/Radion - 1x A350w and 1x Radion XR30s, bright and brings out a lot of nice colors
4. next, 2x Radions and 2x Radions w/T5s to see how they look... let me see how I like #3 before I do anymore switching

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the following...
1. Kessils - 2x A350w by themselves, 3x is much better
2. Kessils w/T5s - 2x A350w plus 2x54w Ice Cap T5HO ATi Blue Plus (too blue for my taste, ATi Aquablue Special much better)
3. Kessil w/Radion - 1x A350w and 1x Radion XR30s, bright and brings out a lot of nice colors
4. next, 2x Radions and 2x Radions w/T5s to see how they look... let me see how I like #3 before I do anymore switching
which one worked for yah?

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which one worked for yah?

I'm still stuck with option #3 as trying to decide to go with Radion or stay with Kessil. If I decide to go with Radion, then I have more testing to do, need a 2nd unit plus try it with and w/o the T5 supplements. Doing all this testing while the later clowns are in quarantine.

Wow. I cant wait to see this one filled. Will be following along
Me too!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with your QT. what's the roster looking like atm? personally, I would add some T5's. I dunno, I'm an old school'er I guess. I really think that the best combo is MH + T5's & LED strip for moon lights. when I get a chance for a re do, this is what I'll have. ;)

Mlum30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you one thing Ed in glad I got those platinums from you they are doing very well. Try to get another pair of those for your tank.

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with your QT. what's the roster looking like atm? personally, I would add some T5's. I dunno, I'm an old school'er I guess. I really think that the best combo is MH + T5's & LED strip for moon lights. when I get a chance for a re do, this is what I'll have. ;)

That's what I use to run on my tanks, MH + T5 supplements and LED moonlights... I had to use some sort of cooler/chiller. When I switched over to T5s, just a sump fan was good enough. I figure with LEDs, don't even need a fan and never have to replace any bulbs for 10 years. That's kind of a nice thought... :clap2:

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you one thing Ed in glad I got those platinums from you they are doing very well. Try to get another pair of those for your tank.
Glad they're doing well. They were a nice pair we just decided not to keep. I'm thinking about a pair of Wyoming Whites, if I can get my hands on those. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 151 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back