kmaintl's Oceanic 120g Tech - New Clownfish World

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use to run on my tanks, MH + T5 supplements and LED moonlights... I had to use some sort of cooler/chiller. When I switched over to T5s, just a sump fan was good enough. I figure with LEDs, don't even need a fan and never have to replace any bulbs for 10 years. That's kind of a nice thought... :clap2:
no bulb replacement would be awesome. I'm yet to see a LED powered tank that blows me away though. :confused:

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? 2x Kessils A350w with 2x 54w T5 BluePlus supplements?

Honest opinion, everyone? [edit] *Forgot to mention that the below is a video and your comments on the lighting?

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, too much rock but the BTA's should enjoy finding the crevice they need to establish their foot. once it fills in with BTA's, it should look really nice. :)

my idea for my tank was not have any rocks touch the glass since the BTA's can move through the glass if they get a hold of it. I wished I had more room in the back since I only left about 4" from the back glass and some of the BTA's are getting big and are very close to touching the back glass. the side glass and front glass are far from the scape so there's really no chance of the BTA's getting a hold of the glass. just my opinion though. the clowns can really careless and will have fun going from BTA to BTA. :)

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, too much rock but the BTA's should enjoy finding the crevice they need to establish their foot. once it fills in with BTA's, it should look really nice. :)
my idea for my tank was not have any rocks touch the glass since the BTA's can move through the glass if they get a hold of it. I wished I had more room in the back since I only left about 4" from the back glass and some of the BTA's are getting big and are very close to touching the back glass. the side glass and front glass are far from the scape so there's really no chance of the BTA's getting a hold of the glass. just my opinion though. the clowns can really careless and will have fun going from BTA to BTA. :)

thanks for your comments, yes, i am rock obsessive. one of my favorite dives are wall dives and all the different growths and fishes along the wall. i always wanted a wall of nems and wonder how it will look like. i hope i don't regret all the nems getting through the glass! :wink: or climbing into the overfloow! I better make sure I have a cover the overflow with enkamat... probably good for the smaller clowns too.

what do you think about the light, is it enough or too dark?

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love lots of rockwork. Perfect for a BTA tank I think. Should be plenty of light. You could always add on later in the color range that you think you need after you get some inhabitants in there.

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking clowns! Are you getting those two?
Got in 3x pairs yesterday and trying to pick the best pair for my granddaughter. She loves HELLO KITTY, but these aren't quite close enough. Also, watching their temperament... assume they may be too aggressive for the clownfish/anemone tank. I find that oscellaris, especially snowflakes varieties are killers... they're ones known to attack your hand when one is doing water changes. Did you see my earlier posts, lost some nice Picassos to some Black Ice while in the holding tank. They got along fine for about a month, then the anything with snowflake bloodlines started getting really agressive.

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses :(
I hope these have a better temperament for you.

That certainly can happen with clowns. I had 2 very nice pairs of Black Ice and 2 very nice pairs of SnowOnyx, they didn't make the cut for the clownfish/anemone tank because of behaviour.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the Phantoms are somewhat well behaved to be in the clown tank. when do you expect to put the clowns in their bigger home?

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the Phantoms are somewhat well behaved to be in the clown tank. when do you expect to put the clowns in their bigger home?

I'm actually waiting to find one that looks like HELLO KITTY pattern for my granddaughter. Hopefully, he won't be too aggressive and if he is... it's going to stay forever in the holding tank to keep the biomedia going.

I'm still waiting on your hookup to shoot me some videos. Might go with mostly Picassos and a few single or pairs of others.

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, in fact, Brian is holding my batch for me. I bought in a Flagfin Angel almost 2 weeks ago and it was in my holding tank system for quarantine. It came from a very reliable source as I've known the LFS owner for almost 30 years. The Flaggin died after a week and I'm not sure why. It had a sore on the side when it died. A few days ago, I lost a Onyx clownfish that was in the same holding tank system and it had a sore on the side as well. My whole holding tank system is now in full quarantine and being medicated, so I don't have any room to take anything new at the moment. Don't want to take any risks until I figure out what's going on.

The older perculas are closely being watched as they sit waiting in quarantine for the rest of my clowns to arrive. When I got the Phantoms in, I actually had to put them into a brand 10g glass tank that I setup just because I didn't want to put them into the holding tanks. So, it maybe a while before I get any clowns into my 120g as my quarantine system is being medicated and sterilized. I hate say, it looks like I see Marine Velvet on one of the clowns in the holding tank... not sure yet. That's the bad thing about wild caught fishes even when they've been at the LFS for a few weeks... sometimes disease does not show up immediately.

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea & Reef Wyoming Whites

[video=youtube;2o2A5KBQ85o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2A5KBQ85o[/video]

Last edited:
OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice! 1smile1

how about the other shipment? :wink:

Thanks to Marvin, he hooked me up with Brian (screen name BriGuy31+) who had a few Picassos available. We've been going back and forth for almost a month, but they finally arrived last night. Here's a "sneak peek" as the videos are taking a long time to upload. Individual videos will be added when I have more time.

Thanks Marvin for the hookup... and thanks to Brian for picking out a good cross section of various grades and various patterns... exactly what I'm looking for!!!

BriGuy31+'s Picassos acclimating (click on photo for short video)

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah! no worries at all. Brian did all the work. :)

you really need to set up a YouTube account for your vids. ;)

OP
OP
kmaintl

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah! no worries at all. Brian did all the work. :)

you really need to set up a YouTube account for your vids. ;)

Successfully uploaded to YouTube last night and switched links to YouTube. Like anything, there's a learning curve. LoL Thanks to Brian (BriGuy31+) for some nice Picassos. Only the largest one was aggressive in the first video with the black coming in, so I needed to separate her from the rest. She actually went to a local breeder and he's extremely please with the female. All the others will be put into my 120g Tech tank after quarantine period. Some short videos.

[video=youtube;2e_psDwY_Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e_psDwY_Lw[/video]

[video=youtube;ZpbYeXBth5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpbYeXBth5I[/video]

[video=youtube;VS1OOGtUZYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1OOGtUZYc[/video]

[video=youtube;e_rmOpzAFL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_rmOpzAFL0[/video]

[video=youtube;1e3-_bsNuRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3-_bsNuRs[/video]

[video=youtube;OUkFreyWSfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkFreyWSfQ[/video]

[video=youtube;P_dyzkrzs8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dyzkrzs8k[/video]

[video=youtube;u6mbkn5OmuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mbkn5OmuA[/video]

Since I'm putting together an entire family of clownfishes for my "New Clowfish World", I was looking for a variety of patterns and they didn't need to be all premium grade A+. I also just finish discussing buying 14x clowns from Rich (Just Clownin Around) that will be added with these from BriGuy31+. So, it looks like about 25-30 clownfishes will make it into this "New Clownfish World".

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 129 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back