Lagoon gets an upgrade: IM NUVO EXT 100

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is! Thank you. It does seam to "come from the inside" of the piping so that adds up!

I'll add some tape and fire it back up today after work (I'm an instrumentation tech and always have lots of thread seal lol!).
Good job let us know how you get on

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at ordering this kit. It says SpectraPure but it's really just the Aquatec 8800 booster pump.

I don't have an automatic shutoff or anything so probably won't need the upgraded kit with the pressure switches (for another $40). For now anyways.

I have a 90GPD RODI unit and hopefully this will last me a while, and will still work if I plan to add on another membrane or upgrade RODI units altogether...
I just started reading this thread because i saw IM EXT, great tanks that’s why i jumped on here, i just read the first few post’s and jumped to the new post’s so i don’t know what the delay was to get the tank running but i just wanted to let you know you can get a algae scrubber and not have to worry about doing water changes, water changes cause to many swings in your water parameters which will prevent you from having a stable system, you will also never have to worry about having any allergy issues whatsoever, also you don’t need any RODI unit, tap water is completely fine as long as you use a conditioner, trust me, I’ve been using tapwater for the past 31 years, i just use a little API water conditioner it removes the chlorine and heavy metals, I am also upgrading to the EXT as soon as BRS has them in stock

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started reading this thread because i saw IM EXT, great tanks that’s why i jumped on here, i just read the first few post’s and jumped to the new post’s so i don’t know what the delay was to get the tank running but i just wanted to let you know you can get a algae scrubber and not have to worry about doing water changes, water changes cause to many swings in your water parameters which will prevent you from having a stable system, you will also never have to worry about having any allergy issues whatsoever, also you don’t need any RODI unit, tap water is completely fine as long as you use a conditioner, trust me, I’ve been using tapwater for the past 31 years, i just use a little API water conditioner it removes the chlorine and heavy metals, I am also upgrading to the EXT as soon as BRS has them in stock

Respectfully disagree. Current level of knowledge is that dilution via water change will eliminate many problems and help keep parameters level. Algae scrubber is certainly a great way to export nutrients though.
Tap water is a bad bad bad idea without knowing what’s in it. It may work for some people but it not safe for a thriving system.
I'd love to be able to do something like this! I don't have the space in this home, but you can be sure in our next home (we need to upsize at some point) there will be room for a water change station!!!
Where do you mix your water? As long as you can run a line there …

Last edited:

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully disagree. Current level of knowledge is that dilution via water change will eliminate many problems and help keep parameters level. Algae scrubber is certainly a great way to export nutrients though.
Tap water is a bad bad bad idea without knowing what’s in it. It may work for some people but it not safe for a thriving system.

Where do you mix your water? As long as you can run a line there …
I’m just sharing what i have learned over the past 31 years of reefing which is factual, I got a RO unit 15 years ago just to see if it would benefit my system in any way which was already thriving and the only thing I learned is that it wasted more water then there was good water and didn’t help my corals grow any faster than they already were so I went back to tap water, not doing water changes has benefited my system more than anything, my system has never been so stable since I stopped doing water changes, when I did water changes on a regular basis, I never had any spawns going on, as soon as I stopped six months later my torches began to spawn like crazy and mushroom spitting out babies left and right, i have one rock that’s about 6/7 inches it had 6 tequila, sunrise mushrooms on it originally, it now has over 30, the proof is always in the pudding but I guess until you see for yourself you can stick to the rule of thumb and what all the books tell you, happy reefing

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you apply seal tape, check that the 0-ring didn't get crimped or shift. I remember the instructions mentioned those 0-rings many times. for piece of mind, get one of those leak detector alarms. Home Depot sells them for $15 or sets of 3 for $37. one under the drains and one inside the stand. I'm running Nest cam on the tank and have it set to pick up fire alarms so if and of the controls start beeping it will notify the Nest cam and I can see what it is. Or there's the high end ones that notify through wifi but I already had the Nest cams.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just sharing what i have learned over the past 31 years of reefing which is factual, I got a RO unit 15 years ago just to see if it would benefit my system in any way which was already thriving and the only thing I learned is that it wasted more water then there was good water and didn’t help my corals grow any faster than they already were so I went back to tap water, not doing water changes has benefited my system more than anything, my system has never been so stable since I stopped doing water changes, when I did water changes on a regular basis, I never had any spawns going on, as soon as I stopped six months later my torches began to spawn like crazy and mushroom spitting out babies left and right, i have one rock that’s about 6/7 inches it had 6 tequila, sunrise mushrooms on it originally, it now has over 30, the proof is always in the pudding but I guess until you see for yourself you can stick to the rule of thumb and what all the books tell you, happy reefing
Happy reefing :) Great that that works for you. Some tap water is good as is, but it’s not for everyone - my tap water has tds of 350 and chloramine, water conditioning is not enough.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you apply seal tape, check that the 0-ring didn't get crimped or shift. I remember the instructions mentioned those 0-rings many times. for piece of mind, get one of those leak detector alarms. Home Depot sells them for $15 or sets of 3 for $37. one under the drains and one inside the stand. I'm running Nest cam on the tank and have it set to pick up fire alarms so if and of the controls start beeping it will notify the Nest cam and I can see what it is. Or there's the high end ones that notify through wifi but I already had the Nest cams.
Oh I'm all over the leak sensors! I have three floor leak sensors and will have several other layers of leak detection in the form of monitoring levels as well!

Good reminder on the o-ring as well. I see a little bubble on the gasket but I don't think that's the source of leak (but will check the gasket and o-ring when reassembling!!).

I have Wyze cams!!! They do have smoke/CO alarm detection, NEVER thought to check the leak beeping with the Wyze alarm. Good call!!!!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really interesting!! Neat to hear what others are doing, and 30+ years of experience... I imagine you learn a thing or too.

Do you test your water for TDS at all? I'm on a well and run about 400-500 ppm.

Actually, for fun, when I move everything over from my 25g to the 100g, I might maintain it for a while on tap and conditioner just to see if anything changes!

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The delay was painting the basement walls and new flooring!! I ordered everything around the holidays, waiting for delivery, and then everything sat for (too long) a while until we could get the work done in the room.

I love IM tanks. It looks so good and so far appears to be built very well, and heavy! I like to think it's "over built."

I can't wait to get salt water, rocks and sand in her!

The rock scape will be the next big task.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard back from IM.

I sent them a detailed email outlining everything I've posted here, and attached the same photos. My concerns to them were (and have been in previous emails): is the leveling of the system OK, or does it need further adjustment, and does the gap between the leveling mat and the stand need attention/correction.

Their response was "The system appears to be fairly level." I hate to say, this response does nothing for me. I responded back asking again about the leveling mat corner gaps, and their next email they stated "you may add an additional leveling mat if you would like."

I was really hoping for something more reassuring, but I get a strong feeling that they can't give me any sort of confirmation or OK or stamp of approval or any more detail, due to possible liability. I get that, but I was really hoping for just a bit more from them. I want this thing to last as long as possible (and be able to sleep at night!).

Do I NEED to add a leveling mat? Would adding a leveling mat provide any benefit or additional support? Are the gapped corners unsupported thus have uneven pressures, or is it supported enough as is?! I'm just unsure.

What I'm hearing from IM is that the leveling is OK, and I don't need a mat but I can add one anyways. But I don't know for sure, because they can be so vague (and I am trying to be understanding as to why).

I don't know. I'm going to have to surf through threads and see if others have gone through this with the mat gaps.

-AnThOnY-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waterbox 150.4 was level and had a small gap in a corner or two between the leveling mat and the tank. After a while being filled it compressed and I don't have a gap anymore.

YMMV but it seems like you got it level and itll be fine

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waterbox 150.4 was level and had a small gap in a corner or two between the leveling mat and the tank. After a while being filled it compressed and I don't have a gap anymore.

YMMV but it seems like you got it level and itll be fine

I DIGRESS!!

You're right.

I just checked right now and the gap is essentially gone. It just needed several days.

We carry on with the build! We calm!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIGRESS!!

You're right.

I just checked right now and the gap is essentially gone. It just needed several days.

We carry on with the build! We calm!
When in doubt call Brian. He always answers the phone. But then again, there’s 3 Brian’s there! seriously though, Call Brian.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt call Brian. He always answers the phone. But then again, there’s 3 Brian’s there! seriously though, Call Brian.

LOL I feel a little bad for Brian(s) and all of my questions. He's been good (albeit a little vague at times). Maybe a phone call is the better route. Noted for next time!!

So now I'm waiting for my booster pump to come in so I can start making water!

In the meantime, loosely design my rock scape. Trying to incorporate the rock and corals from the 25g will provide an additional challenge!

That, and installing or just prepping the hardware to go in. Mounting the hybrid light will be a task...

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I feel a little bad for Brian(s) and all of my questions. He's been good (albeit a little vague at times). Maybe a phone call is the better route. Noted for next time!!

So now I'm waiting for my booster pump to come in so I can start making water!

In the meantime, loosely design my rock scape. Trying to incorporate the rock and corals from the 25g will provide an additional challenge!

That, and installing or just prepping the hardware to go in. Mounting the hybrid light will be a task...
Yeah, get all the hard stuff done now. By the time your a month away from due, you probably won’t want to do much tank maintenance now those first two months. I’d recommend getting a few Extra totes and make double batches of saltwater and store it so you have less to do and can figure out swaddling. I just ordered another mp40 to take advantage of the 15% off sale. Thinking to turn down the current speed and get more of a whirl pool effect.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard back from IM.

I sent them a detailed email outlining everything I've posted here, and attached the same photos. My concerns to them were (and have been in previous emails): is the leveling of the system OK, or does it need further adjustment, and does the gap between the leveling mat and the stand need attention/correction.

Their response was "The system appears to be fairly level." I hate to say, this response does nothing for me. I responded back asking again about the leveling mat corner gaps, and their next email they stated "you may add an additional leveling mat if you would like."

I was really hoping for something more reassuring, but I get a strong feeling that they can't give me any sort of confirmation or OK or stamp of approval or any more detail, due to possible liability. I get that, but I was really hoping for just a bit more from them. I want this thing to last as long as possible (and be able to sleep at night!).

Do I NEED to add a leveling mat? Would adding a leveling mat provide any benefit or additional support? Are the gapped corners unsupported thus have uneven pressures, or is it supported enough as is?! I'm just unsure.

What I'm hearing from IM is that the leveling is OK, and I don't need a mat but I can add one anyways. But I don't know for sure, because they can be so vague (and I am trying to be understanding as to why).

I don't know. I'm going to have to surf through threads and see if others have gone through this with the mat gaps.
They will never answer a question like that, they are afraid that a customer might try to hold them liable if the tank cracked, just like if you were to call a lighting company and ask them what percent should I have the UV at? They will never answer that question again liability. For example, see if they told you to set the UV at 80% and you fry a couple of Corals. They don’t want to take the blame for it. I saw your level it looks fine I wouldn’t worry at all.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, get all the hard stuff done now. By the time your a month away from due, you probably won’t want to do much tank maintenance now those first two months. I’d recommend getting a few Extra totes and make double batches of saltwater and store it so you have less to do and can figure out swaddling. I just ordered another mp40 to take advantage of the 15% off sale. Thinking to turn down the current speed and get more of a whirl pool effect.

Oh absolutely. The hobbies will take a hit. I have three big dogs and a vegetable garden too. At least the garden will be done with come the fall.

I'm so torn on a gyre or MP40. I know I'll have to upgrade my wavemakers but I'm still in denial. A sale might sway me.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will never answer a question like that, they are afraid that a customer might try to hold them liable if the tank cracked, just like if you were to call a lighting company and ask them what percent should I have the UV at? They will never answer that question again liability. For example, see if they told you to set the UV at 80% and you fry a couple of Corals. They don’t want to take the blame for it. I saw your level it looks fine I wouldn’t worry at all.

Yes, it took me a few emails to realize that! I remember, with a different concern, I had asked in about 4 different emails and they completed evaded my question - I was so confused. I get it now, but I wish we could get a little more reassurance or guidance. Oh well. Perhaps if I had a pressing issue and I called I might be able to get more answers..

Thanks for your response! As the anxiety calms down I can kind of see that I might have been over-worrying. Still fear for the worst, always lol, but it gets better.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep like every company they don’t want to say too much frightened they’re liable if they agree with you. If you’re not happy keep at them and don’t give up. Did you get your leak sorted

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep like every company they don’t want to say too much frightened they’re liable if they agree with you. If you’re not happy keep at them and don’t give up. Did you get your leak sorted

Makes sense! I just want to have confidence in this thing. Seems like we're on track now.

I did!

The leak definitely came from the main drain fitting. I added a few wraps of tape to the threads and reassembled, being careful not to pinch the o-ring on one side and the gasket on the other. It's possible that with threading the fittings the first time, the gasket formed a bubble or something.

Either way, no more leak! :star-struck:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back