OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast organic carbon like alcohol, sugar and vinegar can be used in different ways in an aquarium. The most common (today) is to stimulate the growth of aerobic heterotrophs in order to export nutrients. However – the old way to use organic carbon is to use it for the denitrification in anaerobic environment. (Without oxygen) A fast organic carbon is needed in that process. The most common ways to manage a denitrification process is to add this carbon source from the outside. However if the anaerobic process has been established for a while – there is other processes that are able to produce fast carbon sources like sugar and alcohol from the internal organic waste inside the filter/sand bedd. You will get a piano that plays itself with other words.

Sincerely Lasse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast organic carbon like alcohol, sugar and vinegar can be used in different ways in an aquarium. The most common (today) is to stimulate the growth of aerobic heterotrophs in order to export nutrients. However – the old way to use organic carbon is to use it for the denitrification in anaerobic environment. (Without oxygen) A fast organic carbon is needed in that process. The most common ways to manage a denitrification process is to add this carbon source from the outside. However if the anaerobic process has been established for a while – there is other processes that are able to produce fast carbon sources like sugar and alcohol from the internal organic waste inside the filter/sand bedd. You will get a piano that plays itself with other words.

Sincerely Lasse

Good way to put it, and nice way to explain carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture update

FTD.jpg

gobie.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

clam.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse the tank is looking pretty good still like the heck out of that scape.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking nice Lasse!

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, more impressed every time I see your tank. I forget the text part of the build thread because the pictures are so amazing! Thank you Lasse!

Thank you as well for the explanation of fast organic carbon dosing and fixation. It is a good reason to keep a DSB; I understand not for the denitrification part but for many other reasons. o_O

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have English (or rather American) as my mother tongue - I have problem to understand what you mean with that sentence. But I love to understand - so please explain with other words :)
In answer to your much earlier post (I am re-reading your build thread again now), "off the shelf" simply means that someone has not modified the product at all, just like a person uses "off the shelf" table salt to put on food, since they are not changing the product "off of their shelf" to where it is used. I hope that answers your question.

More questions to come from the past of your build thread... :):)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back