OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pictures - not anyone of the best but it show a Little bit of the Life in my Aquarium

Coral.jpg

Pair.jpg

Ricordea.jpg

Shrimp2.jpg

Shrimp3.jpg

Trio.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always great tank shoots. I like how you have the flow set at a pulse.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

I like how you have the flow set at a pulse.

I have done a lot of experiment in order to create this type of waves. Direct translated from Swedish - it is a standing wave or a seiches undulation. I moves a lot of water in my tank and the motion is all over the tank. The tool to create this is the pulse on/off duration - its different in every tank. I use a pulse of 0.7 seconds (on and off).

Sincerely Lasse

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

I have done a lot of experiment in order to create this type of waves. Direct translated from Swedish - it is a standing wave or a seiches undulation. I moves a lot of water in my tank and the motion is all over the tank. The tool to create this is the pulse on/off duration - its different in every tank. I use a pulse of 0.7 seconds (on and off).

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you, I might have to play with my settings

Tack, kanske jag har att spela med mina inställningar

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I might have to play with my settings

Tack, kanske jag har att spela med mina inställningar

Swedish lecture: Jag måste kanske leka lite med mina inställningar

Swedish frequently has inverted word order compared to English - as you may have noticed on my way to write English. It often becomes Swenglish.

The word play in English have different meanings in Swedish. You play soccer - du spelar fotboll . The children plays - Barnen leker. But I understand your translation :)

I have Jeabao wave makers and the new WiFi controller. If you have the old mechanical controller (with a turning knob) - you will often find the right settings somwhere between 11:00 to 12:00 (if you look at the knob as it was a clock) and have wave maker mood

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swedish lecture: Jag måste kanske leka lite med mina inställningar

Swedish frequently has inverted word order compared to English - as you may have noticed on my way to write English. It often becomes Swenglish.

The word play in English have different meanings in Swedish. You play soccer - du spelar fotboll . The children plays - Barnen leker. But I understand your translation :)

I have Jeabao wave makers and the new WiFi controller. If you have the old mechanical controller (with a turning knob) - you will find the right settings if you try to set the knob in a position between 11:00 to 12:00 (if you look at the knob as it was a clock) and have wave maker mood

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you the lesson;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, I love your tank because it looks like you just carved it out of a full reef and you have just a small piece of it...so cool

@nitro Thank you

I love to use advanced technology but I do not like to look at it. I want to create the nature in my living room and the technical things – it is only the help I need to have it to work.

And I think it's just good to show that it is possible to have reefs that does not look like suburban custom coral gardens of pastel colored SPS :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral I got one week ago

upload_2017-1-2_21-32-21.png

Today It looks like this - new branches at the tops.

1-week.jpg

I have an other of this strain from the same spot. The branches in every top has become as a star. I have taken 100 photos of this but no one is good enough. But it looks like this one will be the same.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread Alex's Nano Reef describe a school project he will do with CO2 and coral growth

I love this type of experiments because we can learn a lot from simple experiments in our living room or class room. I´m interested of this mostly because of two reasons – the impact of increased CO2 in the atmosphere for the coral reefs and how I can optimize my coral growth in my living room.

I decide to put my answer in my own build thread because I want to leave Alex thread clean and take the discussions about my thoughts here in my own thread

My set up at home is for the moment a 300 l display tank, 30 l refugium (light during nights), a DSB, a Deltec skimmer, a oxidator, a bacteria growing filter, a reactor for Al based “GFO”, a simple homemade CO2 scrubber and a Profilux computer with measurement and controlling capability. Earlier in this thread – most is described In detail.

For the moment I want to have a pH around 8.2. If I do not use a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer my pH will vary between 7.8 and 8.2 according to the number of persons in the flat and if light is on or not. If I have the scrubber connected 7/24 my pH will vary between 8.2 – 8.5 depending mostly of the light regime (photosynthesis) and in some degree of we have visitors or not. I live in a cold climate and well isolated flat.

I decide to test what happens if I run the tank with a more stable pH and a steadier concentration of CO2. I order to do that – I connected my skimmer to the pH controller of my Profilux. If pH is > 8.2 – it will not run – pH < 8.2 – the skimmer will run. The skimmers air intake goes through my CO2 scrubber. As you can see in the graph it works rather well. Some remarks: We was not at home between 28.12 and evening 30.12. By mistake, the air intake was not connected to the CO2 scrubber from morning 31.12 to morning 1.1. The media was changed morning 2.1.

Screen Shot 01-03-17 at 08.51 AM.PNG

Look at this graph below – it’s the CO2 concentration of my living room last week. It directly corresponding to the pH graph. The very small rise of the CO2 during late evenings of 28.12 and 29.12 is my son coming to the flat in order to take care of the cat and the aquarium. We arrived home around 8 of the 30.12, normal days – we are two persons at the flat

Screen Shot 01-03-17 at 08.52 AM.PNG

For me – it is still to much variation – I would love to have a steady pH level with only a variation of plus minus 0.02 and possibility to lower it during night time (in order to give my macros more CO2 – they have light from 22 in the evening to 10 o´clock in the morning.

The first thing I will test in order to achieve this is to run my skimmer 7/24 but change the air intake between the CO2 scrubber or direct from the sump cabinet (highest concentration of CO2 in the flat by average) If pH is over decided level – air from the cabinet – if pH is below decided pH – air via CO2 scrubber. I have order some equipment for this through E-bay – now I´m only waiting for delivery. If the CO2 concertation of my sump cabinet is not high enough to get the low pH I want durin nights – I consider to use CO2 gas. I have some other ideas how to use CO2 gas – maybe I can combinate this two goals.

Sincerely Lasse

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast organic carbon like alcohol, sugar and vinegar can be used in different ways in an aquarium. The most common (today) is to stimulate the growth of aerobic heterotrophs in order to export nutrients. However – the old way to use organic carbon is to use it for the denitrification in anaerobic environment. (Without oxygen) A fast organic carbon is needed in that process. The most common ways to manage a denitrification process is to add this carbon source from the outside. However if the anaerobic process has been established for a while – there is other processes that are able to produce fast carbon sources like sugar and alcohol from the internal organic waste inside the filter/sand bedd. You will get a piano that plays itself with other words.

Sincerely Lasse
I do no think you can make a "selfplaying piano", because the bacteria that produces carbon sources (for instance methanogenic which produce CH4 from reducing CO2) also need carbon source for the respiration. The carbon that these methanogenic strains produce is a result of using CO2 as electronacceptors, but for that you need an external carbon source to be oxidized. Therefore I do not believe in making an eternal machine...I think you have to always add som external carbon to make this denitrification-filters effective. This based on the fact that the carbon-producing bacteria(read CH4 producing) are heterotrophic most of them. In some steps they can use H2 to oxidize instead of organic carbon(if i have understood this correct), but that H2 is in turn produced from other organic compounds which is oxidized, so I do not think you never can stop adding external organic carbon if you want to have an effective denitrification. I have myself a denitrificationfilter running since 10 months, and that is very dependent on external carbon. Of course some organic carbon is adding automatically from the water from the aquarium itself, but that is not so much because that adding is dependent on the input flow rate to the denitrificationfilter which is very low. That is probably not sufficient to feed the denitrificationbacterial enough. That is my thoughts but of course I can be wrong:)

Regards
Jonas

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do no think you can make a "selfplaying piano", because the bacteria that produces carbon sources (for instance methanogenic which produce CH4 from reducing CO2) also need carbon source for the respiration. The carbon that these methanogenic strains produce is a result of using CO2 as electronacceptors, but for that you need an external carbon source to be oxidized. Therefore I do not believe in making an eternal machine...I think you have to always add som external carbon to make this denitrification-filters effective. This based on the fact that the carbon-producing bacteria(read CH4 producing) are heterotrophic most of them. In some steps they can use H2 to oxidize instead of organic carbon(if i have understood this correct), but that H2 is in turn produced from other organic compounds which is oxidized, so I do not think you never can stop adding external organic carbon if you want to have an effective denitrification. I have myself a denitrificationfilter running since 10 months, and that is very dependent on external carbon. Of course some organic carbon is adding automatically from the water from the aquarium itself, but that is not so much because that adding is dependent on the input flow rate to the denitrificationfilter which is very low. That is probably not sufficient to feed the denitrificationbacterial enough. That is my thoughts but of course I can be wrong:)

Regards
Jonas

I have a flow through my DSB – therefore it will be new organic matter to the DSB all the time. The two first steps of anaerobic digestion hydrolysis and acidogenesis -simple sugars (hydrolysis) and alcohols (acidogenesis) will be formed as metabolites.

These metabolites will serve as fast organic carbon for the denitrification process

Of course – there most always be a transport of organic matter into the filter and it must be anaerobic. But the thing is that you instead of putting in organic carbon from the outside – you will do the same thing with the waste that your system produce. Even a self-playing piano need an energy source – the energy source in this anaerobic system is the waste and sludge that are produced from the food. To make the intial load of organic matter below the DSB I have pumped a lot of skimmate into the bed.

This is not only a theory – I have done this for more than a year and a half in a fish farm– total denitrification without putting in any external fast organic carbon source to the filters – only organic matter from the fishes and aerobic breakdown products (bacterial sludge).

Sincerely Lasse

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flow through my DSB – therefore it will be new organic matter to the DSB all the time. The two first steps of anaerobic digestion hydrolysis and acidogenesis -simple sugars (hydrolysis) and alcohols (acidogenesis) will be formed as metabolites.

These metabolites will serve as fast organic carbon for the denitrification process

Of course – there most always be a transport of organic matter into the filter and it must be anaerobic. But the thing is that you instead of putting in organic carbon from the outside – you will do the same thing with the waste that your system produce. Even a self-playing piano need an energy source – the energy source in this anaerobic system is the waste and sludge that are produced from the food. To make the intial load of organic matter below the DSB I have pumped a lot of skimmate into the bed.

This is not only a theory – I have done this for more than a year and a half in a fish farm– total denitrification without putting in any external fast organic carbon source to the filters – only organic matter from the fishes and aerobic breakdown products (bacterial sludge).

Sincerely Lasse
Well that is excactly what i tried to say, you must import organic compunds to the filter in same amount that you wants denitrification. If the import of carbon source is not enough from the system you must add external. We all know that in a system with high N and P there is often a wrong index between C/N where C is too low. Therefore I do not think it is always so easy to only say that the carbon source from the aquarium itself is sufficient for enough denitrification. But I totaly agree with you that in your system when the DSB get the whole flow as input you have much higher chance to get enough carbon but that the future Will tell. Nevertheless I like your concept and biological thinking very much. Some aquarist lacking that thinking so I am impressed of your system setup:)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is enough of organic carbon in the system in order to take care of the denitrification process of NO3 - but it is normally in the wrong form. It comes in together with the P and N in the feed. The trick is to have an old and established anaerobic environment with a high organic load and bacteria population that in the anaerobic digestion cycle produce this needed fast organic sources.

By the way - I have never understand the theory of taking away resources as waste and after that go to the shop an buy just these resources – often not so cheap.

I´m not either convinced of that you have a wrong ratio between C and N in favour for N. I am rather sure that it is the opposite.

Sincerely Lasse

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is opposite why does bacterial growth accelerate when adding carbon in the carbonsourcemethod?(using assimilativa pathway). That indicates that you have not correct C/N index thus lower that 100/16.

And why does almost all denitrifikationfilters need adding externql carbon? That is fact that they need.
I have own experience of that. Even a DyMiCo which take all water volume through the bed needs this external carbon indicating that the system have a wrong index and that internal carbon is not enough. The thought you have is beatiful but I do not think it works. But try, you have to prove it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back