LC's 300DD build

4kidsnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought 4x8 sheets of acrylic and cut them to size. The man with the know how behind the sump is mrbee2828, I'm just his helping hand. I believe there's a good tutorial on melevsreef.com on work in with acrylic

It's absolutely spectacular! It's exactly what I had in mind for my build. I'm upgrading myself and wanted to convert my current 125 into a sump, but I also ran into height/clearance issues. I don't have the proper tools or confidence to cut my own acrylic. I've been thinking about having it precut and doing my own assembly. I wish I had a mrbee2828 near me! I'd gladly assume the helping hand roll!

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's absolutely spectacular! It's exactly what I had in mind for my build. I'm upgrading myself and wanted to convert my current 125 into a sump, but I also ran into height/clearance issues. I don't have the proper tools or confidence to cut my own acrylic. I've been thinking about having it precut and doing my own assembly. I wish I had a mrbee2828 near me! I'd gladly assume the helping hand roll!
That's exactly why I had to have a custom sump built for me, height/width/clearance issues. The opening on the side of the marine land stand is only 17.5" so that really restricted what sump I could use. You actually don't need a super extensive list of tools. The most important tool would have to be a table saw though. You also need a special blade for cutting acrylic which is kind of pricey. If you do plan on building your own sump i'd highly suggest having an extra set of hands. It would've been really hard building mine with just one person.

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking that awesome custom base you made.
Thank you! There's only one thing I'd change about it as of now. I would've added another 8 inches in length. Right now there's only a 3" step on the left and right of the tank which makes it difficult to stand on. Hindsight is 20/20

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
885217ac43ead57666a2d9d69035f65a.jpg
well water is going in the tank! We finished the sump yesterday and it's being water tested now. If all is good I'll be plumbing the tank Sunday or Monday. The tank should be filled by the end of the week with my 50GPD RODI unit.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those overflows will get covered in all kinds of stuff in a few years

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3083e2c6465a089b6c2303bfdc049838.jpg
excuse the mess but the tank is almost full. It should be full by the end of the day tomorrow. The plumbing is finished and sump is installed. I'll be setting up my apex tomorrow. I'm incredibly impatient so I bought 6 bottles of bio Spira so I'll be able to add fish either tomorrow night or Saturday morning. it's hard to believe that this thing is almost a running system after a long 8 months of acquiring equipment and building. Also here's a picture of the dump finally finished, big shout out to @mrbee282
dd86cf8340eda41695c67026f8d1d627.jpg

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a few more fish. The stock list is now 3 yellow tangs, Red Sea sailfin tang, purple tang, Achilles tang, orange shoulder tang and 4 chromis. I'm already seeing some some of the acros that I added start encrusting to the rock so I'm pretty pumped on that. I've got to get my buddy to come over and take some quality pictures of my tank but for now this iPhone photo will have to do
145cfbecdcc287c23ffbaddef28cd803.jpg

OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been awhile since i've updated the thread. Since we've added quite a few SPS frags and chalices. The rocks are starting to color up and i'm seeing good growth out of many of my corals. I'm not sure whats going on with my polyp extension on my acros though. They are growing but hardly showing any polyp extension during the day time, once the lights are off there is great extension though. Heres a few pictures of my 40 breeder thats been up for about 2.5 years and an updated shot of the 300.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chriscq

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this favia from a local shop earlier this week. I haven't seen anything like it before. I'm excited to see what it looks like as a large colony. Also a shot I took of my lava chalice the other day with my iPhone
d75db816200a1cc0243ce78fa4019190.jpg
b81170cceada6543c5828341ef31e685.jpg

Reeflogic