Leak test prior to adding sand and rock

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. I am setting up an Innovative Marine 75 EXT. It comes with all of the pre-fitted plumbing.

Years ago I used use live rock and sand and put it into the tank after it was filled with water and running. Now I am going to use dry rock and Tampa Bay Saltwater Live sand. I will aquascape with the tank empty. I want to put in the live sand also with the tank empty, but then add saltwater immediately after.

My question is what is the best way to do this, but at the same time make certain that there are no leaks with the tank and the plumbing? It seems like a lot of work, but should I fill the tank, sump, overflow and let the tank run, and then pump the water back into the Brute trash cans? Then add the rock and sand, and refill the tank?

TIA.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason not to just test it with tap water?
I could but the premise is still the same. Filling and draining. I can just drain the saltwater back in to the Brute pails.

I guess I'm asking should I bother with filling it first to check for leaks, or no? I guess it would be a gamble if I don't.

I'm curious what most people do.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make your initial fill the leak test and pull it all out if you find a leak, but i always test it empty where i can walk all around it with tap water and drain it afterward. How much work is piece of mind worth?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could but the premise is still the same. Filling and draining. I can just drain the saltwater back in to the Brute pails.

I guess I'm asking should I bother with filling it first to check for leaks, or no? I guess it would be a gamble if I don't.

I'm curious what most people do.
I would go with at least some amount of time running just tap water or RO/DI just to make sure nothing is obviously wrong.
*if you get at least a couple of days or a week with nothing obvious that doesn't guarantee anything long-term but still worth it before adding saltwater/sand/rock just to be safe,,, my opinion only

EDIT -- I didn't read your first post correctly -- if it were me with what you said, I'd go ahead and run saltwater with no rock/sand as you proposed for a few days and just keep moving forward,,, which I think is what you were suggesting
...or -- never tried this but should work -- just run RO/DI for a while to verify integrity of everything,,, then just start mixing salt in without draining (before rock/sand)

Last edited:

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I habitually fill the system with tap water run the pump, test water height in sump etc... (for some day)

Then trow away the water... fill the system again whit ro/di...
Then add salt...
When everything look clear... adding rock... trow away excess water... adding sand trow away excess water... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT -- I didn't read your first post correctly -- if it were me with what you said, I'd go ahead and run saltwater with no rock/sand as you proposed for a few days and just keep moving forward,,, which I think is what you were suggesting
Yes. This.

If I am going to fill it, run it, and check, I might as well use saltwater. I'm going to have to empty the tank anyway. I might as well drain it and refill it with it. RODI is an option, and then add salt to the tank, but I think it's easier to have it mixed in the trash cans first.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up the IM 50 ext and did my leak test with tap water - I will say there was a notable strong plasticky smell after filling the tank and running it for a couple days, so I was glad to have used the tap water to rinse out any factory residue in the plumbing.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up the IM 50 ext and did my leak test with tap water - I will say there was a notable strong plasticky smell after filling the tank and running it for a couple days, so I was glad to have used the tap water to rinse out any factory residue in the plumbing.
That doesn't bother me. People plumb new tanks, or modify plumbing on tanks up and running , and are good to go. You can run a tank right after using PVC glue. I'd be more worried about some of the tap water still in the plumbing and pump, even though even that would be pretty obsessive.

My question really was dealing with does everyone usually do leak test first. Anyways, I am going to do that.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had my first tank set up, I filled it with tap water and let it run for about a week. Had no issues, drained, and refilled with RODI salt water / rock / sand. (If there is a leak, I'd rather waste tap water, rather than RODI water and salt. Its cheaper in my mind.)

I am currently working on my new tank. I will be following the same process when this is done. I need that leak test done for a peace of mind. I certainly wouldn't skip this step due to me being impatient. It's still a struggle but I am learning to have patience, and not half butt anything.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do the same thing, but won't be wasting anything. There is nothing wrong with filling with saltwater, running the tank, draining the tank back into the Brute containers, and re-using. You honestly think that water is no longer good?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do the same thing, but won't be wasting anything. There is nothing wrong with filling with saltwater, running the tank, draining the tank back into the Brute containers, and re-using. You honestly think that water is no longer good?
If you don't have any leaks, would you even have to drain it?
...or are you worried about sand storm for a while but who cares (assuming I'm following your progression plan)?
...or, I guess you're thinking of doing some scaping with dry rock and easier to finalize in the tank with no water?

If you feel safer rinsing everything out, then just use tap and dump after leak test, but I think that's what you're trying to avoid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to drain it because I have to put in the sand and the rock.

I'm sure all of our suggestions are fine to use, I just feel comfortable doing it my way.

I'm glad I made this thread or I might have done the idiotic idea of not testing first before setting up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back