OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question is, how well does the mixing lens... mix?

Consider this test. First, my hand over the LEDs at about 4 in (extreme example)
gl-bare.jpg

Lots of color halos, sharp shadows, etc.

Now with the reflector + mixing lens:

gl-mix.jpg

Still some bias to the shadow, but much softer!

(Hand placement was hardly scientific)

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liking the effect of the diffuser. does that mount in to that reflector well? or is it just sat in there. any idea what the efficiency of it is?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man,just looking at the mixture of colors coming thru the diffuser looks so promising.

Shoot,I may not even get a chance to mess with arrays I got ;Facepalm.

Would you be able to mount just the diffuser over the arrays (these or previous) ? Unfortunately my heat-sink has a splash shield and even with the that off the reflector would stick out so far.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is with this array, you can use it to it's potential. It may, at first, glance appear that it's 54 watts and that's not near what a lot of arrays are but, on the commercially available arrays a lot of potential is wasted. You rarely if ever turn up most of the bulbs even to 40% on them because it washes the color out so badly, on this one, however, you probably will turn up most of them to 90% for longevity so you are actually using the light to it's potential. I would say two of these could, in practicality do what two of the Radion knock off arrays are doing and then some. And look better doing it. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man,just looking at the mixture of colors coming thru the diffuser looks so promising.

Shoot,I may not even get a chance to mess with arrays I got ;Facepalm.

Would you be able to mount just the diffuser over the arrays (these or previous) ? Unfortunately my heat-sink has a splash shield and even with the that off the reflector would stick out so far.

It could be glued down on its three feet most likely. I’ll check clearance in case it would need a spacer - note that the screw holes are majority under the diffusers which means you’d need to do some surgery to unmount it.

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of this setup, but it seems like CRI would be pretty low? Can't wait to see how they do growing coral!
CRI for coral is pretty much not something to consider. CRI is based on what looks good to us humans in normal lighting conditions, reef is different. and its a taste thing too. I think the whole "mint" thing is for the people who like the blue look, but need some white in there spectrum to brighten the fish up.
The thing is with this array, you can use it to it's potential. It may, at first, glance appear that it's 54 watts and that's not near what a lot of arrays are but, on the commercially available arrays a lot of potential is wasted. You rarely if ever turn up most of the bulbs even to 40% on them because it washes the color out so badly, on this one, however, you probably will turn up most of them to 90% for longevity so you are actually using the light to it's potential. I would say two of these could, in practicality do what two of the Radion knock off arrays are doing and then some. And look better doing it. Just my opinion.

was doing my calculations on what my arrays are running at and what these are and its in the ball park. I agree 2 of these + a rapid LED heat sink is XR30 Pro territory I would imaing. layout i'm thinking of is:

CH1 RBx5
Ch2 385, 405, 410 2x420
ch3 1xCyan 1xBlue 2x RB
Ch4 2xMint 1xRB

Yeah I'm kinda a you can't be tooo blue person. 4:1 is the ratio i've found 've liked for "white" to blue.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with you completely. I do feel like some lights,once you crest the 50-60% mark,things just get so bleh. I feel like yes wattage/power do contribute to the success of any type of lighting,spectrum is the key ingredient to the recipe for success.

Being able to hit those key notes with using and the minimum amount of diodes is the most amazing part about lights like these.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be glued down on its three feet most likely. I’ll check clearance in case it would need a spacer - note that the screw holes are majority under the diffusers which means you’d need to do some surgery to unmount it.

10-4,I may have to get a few to mount with some hot glue or something just to see how they are.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to go for longevity with these. I think 700ma will do. I also, as stated earlier, believe that you will need much less output to achieve growth as with traditional arrays.

That was the whole reason developing this array.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back