LED's & SPS

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys-

Ive heard a ton of stuff about how LED's will not grow SPS. Ive heard they are okay with montipora sp. but any acropora sp. is very delicate to the LED lighting.

Is this true?What information is there that would support this theroy?Is there any information out there to support this?

Thanks,
Austin​

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience growing sps under leds has been positive. The only difference that I have witnesses is a slightly slower growth rate and a change in color. For instance, my Vivid Tort changed its polyps from blue to green.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys-

Ive heard a ton of stuff about how LED's will not grow SPS. Ive heard they are okay with montipora sp. but any acropora sp. is very delicate to the LED lighting.

Is this true?What information is there that would support this theroy?Is there any information out there to support this?

Thanks,
Austin​

Which reef keepers are struggling with this? Perhaps they did not acclimate properly or had water chemistry problems.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to think about is the quality of the LEDs. They are all not created equal...the ones with good par levels are the ones you want.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds promising!

It was a couple locals,and Ive read it on a few boards that SPS,mainly acropora have problems with LED's. The color is lost, and growth is lost aswell. This is what i was told, Im not sure how true it is, the guy who verbally told me is a lil on the odd side!lol

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds promising!

It was a couple locals,and Ive read it on a few boards that SPS,mainly acropora have problems with LED's. The color is lost, and growth is lost aswell. This is what i was told, Im not sure how true it is, the guy who verbally told me is a lil on the odd side!lol

Good possibility the guy had some issues with his water or flow and was blaming it on the LEDs...never really know.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds promising!

I would definitely get more details about this guys setup. What type of leds, etc. before letting it effect your decision.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good possibility the guy had some issues with his water or flow and was blaming it on the LEDs...never really know.

+1

(at an autoshop)

you guys did a crappy job on replacing my wipers! now I have this horrible noise from my car!

. well sir, did you notice the noise before or after you hit the tree?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

(at an autoshop)

you guys did a crappy job on replacing my wipers! now I have this horrible noise from my car!

. well sir, did you notice the noise before or after you hit the tree?

lol - slightly more exaggerated similarity but yeah that pretty much sums up what i am saying..thanks!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few links that you will find more helpful than the "i heard from another reefer whose friend knows a guy who had an issue with..." scenarios.

How to Choose and Compare LEDs - They're Not Metal Halides! - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog
What You Should Know Before Purchasing an LED Light - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog

Nice links xmetal - i appreciate the information...i'll have to read them more when i start looking into LEDs.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few links that you will find more helpful than the "i heard from another reefer whose friend knows a guy who had an issue with..." scenarios.

How to Choose and Compare LEDs - They're Not Metal Halides! - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog
What You Should Know Before Purchasing an LED Light - Captive Aquatics: An Aquarium and Ecology Blog

Though those links have useful information about leds. Nowhere did I see any specific reference to their effect on sps. Unfortunately that information is anecdotal at this point in time.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my little short exp. i have seen a few morph and a few really bleach out...:( growth is great i clipped a few the day i swapped the lights and new growth tip have formed and shot up..... no issues with sps under leds imho.... i have seen a few crazy things thou like my red planet start turning purple lol... any blue acro is really really blue now etc...... no difference really from radiums to leds besides full control of the lights and less on my power bill.... as for color and growth i would say it's a stalemate there even.... like i said this is only a few weeks into leds thou on my part....

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my little short exp. i have seen a few morph and a few really bleach out...:( growth is great i clipped a few the day i swapped the lights and new growth tip have formed and shot up..... no issues with sps under leds imho.... i have seen a few crazy things thou like my red planet start turning purple lol... any blue acro is really really blue now etc...... no difference really from radiums to leds besides full control of the lights and less on my power bill.... as for color and growth i would say it's a stalemate there even.... like i said this is only a few weeks into leds thou on my part....

Yah the morphing is weird. My red planet turned pinkish-purple on the tips. The strangest is my vivid tort that now has green polyps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back