Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thought was rubripinnis, so much so that I didnt even click on the pic to look closer, then this afternoon someone brought it to my attention again. Looking at the pattern on the back half of the dorsal, it is the same pattern found on tonozukai. The blue on the underside, I dont think matters much, as males of the complex have been shown to have blue to varying degrees, although this is certainly on the heavy side. It lacks the elongated middle dorsal filaments of tonozukai, but there could be a number of reasons for that, and even though I personally identify myself as a seperator of species, I dont feel there are enough differences for cf. tonozukai to be seperated from "true" tonozukai. As of now I am saying C. tonozukai.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial thought was rubripinnis, so much so that I didnt even click on the pic to look closer, then this afternoon someone brought it to my attention again. Looking at the pattern on the back half of the dorsal, it is the same pattern found on tonozukai. The blue on the underside, I dont think matters much, as males of the complex have been shown to have blue to varying degrees, although this is certainly on the heavy side. It lacks the elongated middle dorsal filaments of tonozukai, but there could be a number of reasons for that, and even though I personally identify myself as a seperator of species, I dont feel there are enough differences for cf. tonozukai to be seperated from "true" tonozukai. As of now I am saying C. tonozukai.
Mirror that train of thought, and that was my path... lol

I'll bring this to the table: ???? ?Wrasses Vegas? ??????????????

Clearly it's "that". Whatever we want to label "that". Probably a regional variant, or perhaps a hybrid.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror that train of thought, and that was my path... lol

I'll bring this to the table: ???? ?Wrasses Vegas? ??????????????

Clearly it's "that". Whatever we want to label "that". Probably a regional variant, or perhaps a hybrid.

Tanaka also has a picture of ot in his article on reefkeeping.com from a few years back. It's next to a pic of a rubripinnis.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dont think its a regional variant, because, even though there have been multiple examples in the past, there have been no quantities brought in at any time, so I dont think there are populations of this wrasse. Though I have not seen any pics of wild fish intermingled with any other fairy wrasses, so it is pure speculation. I feel it is just a recessive trait, almost an aberration.

Fin clips are hopefully going to be collected and sent to Barcode of Life Database, so hopefully there will at some point be clarification on the matter, though I am not overly optimistic about this because closely related of species of wrasses genetically tested thus far have been genetically close enough to be seperated only by meristics, not genetics.

My personal belief is that this is not the only time this has occurred with Cirrhilabrus. C. brunneus is never found in any numbers at a time, but rather, intermingled amongst C. lunatus.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair points. It'll be interesting to see if testing leads to anything, but I suspect you're right.

chemwiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy Wrasse ID

Hello Hunter from a fellow AZ FRAG

I think I've narrowed this ID down to a Red Banded Fair Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus roseafascia.

It looked like the stock online photos when it was a little stressed on acclimation, but can't find definitive pic for its daytime colors.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• WrasseID.jpg
    WrasseID.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 284
  • wrasseID2.jpg
    wrasseID2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 278
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ yup, exactly. The male lubbocki from cebu looks different such as this.

And hi. :)

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What region is the purple variation of C. luteovittatus from?

Cirrhilabrus-luteovittatus2.jpg

Vs. the red form:

p-80744-wrasse.jpg

^ yup, exactly. The male lubbocki from cebu looks different such as this.

And hi. :)

Is Cebu the only main variant from the standard C. lubbocki or are there others?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the color variation on luteovittatus before myself, but I am not sure what region it's tied to. I'll have to look at a reference when I get home.

Cebu is the only variation on lubbocki.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What region is the purple variation of C. luteovittatus from?

Cirrhilabrus-luteovittatus2.jpg

Vs. the red form:

p-80744-wrasse.jpg

Is Cebu the only main variant from the standard C. lubbocki or are there others?

The range of Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus is not widespread. The difference in colors is more related to photography issues such as white balance and lighting the fish were photographed under rather than regional variation.

Male Halichoeres chrysotaenia.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He tried to fool you, because 99% of those in this hobby cannot tell melanarus from Vroliks. I have two Vroliks.

To anyone curious, Vroliks tend to be more colorful and have more Blues on belly but the only way to tell for sure is stripes vs spots on tail, and Vroliks are more patterned throughout and have less stripes. Both are gorgeous fish

niftyjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He tried to fool you, because 99% of those in this hobby cannot tell melanarus from Vroliks.

Got me. This is the third Vrolik I've been lucky enough to put through my primer program and I'm keeping it this time.

They are easily one of the most aggressive hunters in the family and a healthy male turns a beautiful light blue with bright red highlights.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me. This is the third Vrolik I've been lucky enough to put through my primer program and I'm keeping it this time.

They are easily one of the most aggressive hunters in the family and a healthy male turns a beautiful light blue with bright red highlights.

"Shneaky like a Pearl Harbor"

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The range of Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus is not widespread. The difference in colors is more related to photography issues such as white balance and lighting the fish were photographed under rather than regional variation.
I had forgotten how small the range is. I've always assumed the apparent purple/maroon variation was variation in photography, but I wasn't sure. All the specimens I've personally seen of the species I would describe as purple rather than red or maroon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back