Let's see your bestest and ugliest ghetto mods or builds!

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG

14 gallon Coralife Biocube with “Joey” overflow and 20 gallon Rubbermaid sump with ice buckets to contain live rock, macro algae an mini skimmer...
IMG_1842.JPG

DIY chiller - mini fridge, reinforced tubing with tubing coiled in cage made from Closet Maid shelving... Hummingbird controller...

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I remember the days of the diy pvc overflow. Many a flooded dorm room for this guy due to those set ups.

I like the chiller idea. I wonder if that would keep up.

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I remember the days of the diy pvc overflow. Many a flooded dorm room for this guy due to those set ups.

I like the chiller idea. I wonder if that would keep up.
Yeah... I was hesitant to try it for that reason... the pvc “cup” on the left side of the sump will run dry if the water level drops to its rim...

The chiller works ok for my cube... it could use more volume, though... couldn’t find the perfect jug to fit to maximize the volume of water in the chiller...

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tired of looking at a bunch of dosing lines so I used some extra PVC to jury-rig this. Pretty ugly but it worked.

20150612_191327_zpsth903rzg-jpg.626892

The best thing about this is hacking up the PVC tees to turn them into tank rim mounting brackets! Will have to remember that trick...

ReedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an extremely custom angled sump. Baffles were too big.
IMG_7099.JPG

Super high technologies advanced electronics control panel board. I think I'll patent it.
IMG_7471.JPG
I bought the same ones on ebay I had to cut down with table saw. Cut to short and now I siliconed acrylic to each side to compensate.
Repurposing breast feeding bottles into dosing containers for a reef tank definitely counts as ghetto [emoji23][emoji4] I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same ones on ebay I had to cut down with table saw. Cut to short and now I siliconed acrylic to each side to compensate.
Yep they said for Aqueon tank and I couldn't find one locally. Too lazy to try and cut :rolleyes:

MrineLfRlz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG

14 gallon Coralife Biocube with “Joey” overflow and 20 gallon Rubbermaid sump with ice buckets to contain live rock, macro algae an mini skimmer...
IMG_1842.JPG

DIY chiller - mini fridge, reinforced tubing with tubing coiled in cage made from Closet Maid shelving... Hummingbird controller...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this thread!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium want's to grow Ha instead of chaeto. Hey it's a nutrient export so I don't care. However it's a pita to clean off the glass. So I hung a screen in there likw a scrubber& lined the inside walls & floor with white plastic cardboard. I learned the ha doesn't like to grow on the plastic & I used white to see if it might reflect some light back into the ref. I started this Dec 16th & the screen is already greening up. Any Op's or ideas to improve the design?

HPIM8913.JPG

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back