Lionfish lovers thread

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share this volitan that I picked up today! Been missing having lionfish in my tank; decided to move my smaller fish to the 55 gallon as a result so they wont get eaten. This guy is a real beauty though!
20190308_233605.jpeg
20190308_233358.jpeg
20190308_233258.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed today how pink my newest fu is. I know lighting makes a difference, but this tank actually just has simple blue and white leds.

002.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fair, you can only enter one photo, and I have 6 lionfish; and I'm a terrible photographer.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fair, you can only enter one photo, and I have 6 lionfish; and I'm a terrible photographer.

Ah...you're not thinking about that correctly. You have six subjects to pick from so you have options....lol. Go on, pick your favorite and get it entered. :)

Mandarin15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine trying to catch a ghost shrimp

Attachments

• 33BCDDC5-35A2-4724-9552-7E4D0ECFA783.mov
    12.2 MB

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a fancy lion, but awesome none the less!
20190716_125751.jpg
Beautiful! I've been thinking about adding one to my predator tank that I'll be setting up in a few months. I live in the Caribbean and they are an invasive species here so I can collect from the wild. What size do you think will be best for a beginner fish as far as feeding? What size was yours when you got it and was it easy to get eating??

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I've been thinking about adding one to my predator tank that I'll be setting up in a few months. I live in the Caribbean and they are an invasive species here so I can collect from the wild. What size do you think will be best for a beginner fish as far as feeding? What size was yours when you got it and was it easy to get eating??

Volitan lions can be pretty easy to start eating, even dead food. You just have to make sure it's moving within the water column, if it hits the substrate, you can flick it up with a feeding stick to attract his attention. If necessary you can start with live ghost shrimp, freeze some get him eating the dead, then they mostly will start taking a variety of dead foods. You can drop it in once you get his attention, or use a feeding stick. I feed my volitan shrimp, silversides, scallop, squid, octopus, krill and he will grab any chunks of whatever catching his attention while floating in the water column.

As far as size goes it might just be relative, I've had easy success with itty bitty ones and very large ones, so I say whatever catches your fancy. Since you are personally collecting him you should have none of the common ailments commercially collected specimens have, like parasites, so feeding really should be pretty easy. Just remember to keep the food moving, live prey size chunks but not overly large. Sounds fun.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Volitan lions can be pretty easy to start eating, even dead food. You just have to make sure it's moving within the water column, if it hits the substrate, you can flick it up with a feeding stick to attract his attention. If necessary you can start with live ghost shrimp, freeze some get him eating the dead, then they mostly will start taking a variety of dead foods. You can drop it in once you get his attention, or use a feeding stick. I feed my volitan shrimp, silversides, scallop, squid, octopus, krill and he will grab any chunks of whatever catching his attention while floating in the water column.

As far as size goes it might just be relative, I've had easy success with itty bitty ones and very large ones, so I say whatever catches your fancy. Since you are personally collecting him you should have none of the common ailments commercially collected specimens have, like parasites, so feeding really should be pretty easy. Just remember to keep the food moving, live prey size chunks but not overly large. Sounds fun.
Thanks for the advice! I will probably collect a small one to start out with. They are everywhere on the reefs and collecting is encouraged and promoted by the local government. Btw, on another note, they're pretty good eating as well! Alot of the restaurant's have put them on the menu when available.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I will probably collect a small one to start out with. They are everywhere on the reefs and collecting is encouraged and promoted by the local government. Btw, on another note, they're pretty good eating as well! Alot of the restaurant's have put them on the menu when available.

I have 7 lionfish, it would be like eating my dog. I have other fish I'd eat first, if the s ever hit the fan.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 7 lionfish, it would be like eating my dog. I have other fish I'd eat first, if the s ever hit the fan.
Misunderstanding, not suggesting that you eat your lionfish. I was just trying to make a point of how common they are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back