Liquid food salt problem?

argonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

there are many brands who sell liquid mysis, copepods and so on. I measured the salt content and it is about 12%, more than three times higher than seawater. Has anybody an idea if this could harm fish over time? Saltwater fish have to drink a lot because of the lower osmotic pressure in their bodies. So additional salty food my be a kind of stress for the fish and their organs.
The liquid food is sold as single feed with 1-2 portions/day. It is therefore recommended by the manufacturers for daily feeding.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

there are many brands who sell liquid mysis, copepods and so on. I measured the salt content and it is about 12%, more than three times higher than seawater. Has anybody an idea if this could harm fish over time? Saltwater fish have to drink a lot because of the lower osmotic pressure in their bodies. So additional salty food my be a kind of stress for the fish and their organs.
The liquid food is sold as single feed with 1-2 portions/day. It is therefore recommended by the manufacturers for daily feeding.

I do not see any reason to be concerned about the saltiness of a liquid, but how did you measure it?

OP
OP
argonaut

argonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, Randy, but i made a double post in the forum "Fish discussion". Can you delete this one or put them together?
Regarding your question: I diluted the water and then measured it with a refractometer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, Randy, but i made a double post in the forum "Fish discussion". Can you delete this one or put them together?
Regarding your question: I diluted the water and then measured it with a refractometer.

I don't think i have the power to merge threads, but dilution makes sense.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back