Logzor's Rimless 150g Build

WhoDey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you wont even notice once it is up and running. I have yet to ever see a perfect custom tank, I have 4 and each of them have something that I noticed, but nobody else has ever pointed it out yet.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better. I think I'll be perfectly happy when it's up and running.

Just got the plumbing finished! Only had a single small screw-up during the whole deal. Now lets hope that it won't leak.

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great look tank man!! Post some more pics, those pic look great.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your new rimless tank looks fantastic, Logan! I would not worry about the seams.... Thick glass on larger tanks will almost always show some aesthetic flaws in the silicone seams...I have yet to see a perfect large glass tank built and my 300g starphire glass tank has imperfect seams as well and I had my tank replaced two prior times for various defects and/or damage during transport. You should come up with a name for your amazing no name coral....its a true stunner!

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim! Agreed, I think there is no way around various imperfections on these large aquariums, the 3/4" glass is bound to cause some problems.

With the plumbing done I can actually start filling it up! I'm debating on waiting for my booster pump from buckeye field supply, though. I will be hooking that up as well as my 150 gpd upgrade kit, all-in-all, this will double my water production and reduce my waste water ratio. Right now I'm running about 42 PSI and not pumping water nearly fast enough.

I'll have to post some more coral pictures in the meantime to keep things interesting.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far, can't wait to see it filled with water. That no name acro and the no name encrusting monti are sick!

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far, can't wait to see it filled with water. That no name acro and the no name encrusting monti are sick!

Haha. I guess I need to work on my marketing! The picture of those corals are a bit blue but pretty darn true to real life. The purple monti w/green polyps is a very interesting coral, the tissue is very smooth looking, unlike many plating montipora which are very bumpy. In high flow, it gets the crackly looking skin as seen in the picture, also very unique. It has been in my stock tank for the past 8 months under much lower flow.

The no-name acro was originally acquired as a wild specimen (like all other named corals lol) three years ago, one of my first two acropora. It grows very thick branches and the base has grown together into one giant solid plate of coral, which is pretty neat. The tips are blue with green and pink on the body, the best way that I can describe is that the colors are "mottled" together in a random pattern on the body of the coral. Polyps are tiny and pink. I had some die-off on these piece but it is recovering nicely.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost got the tank full....would have had it full awhile ago but the wife doesn't want me filling overnight.

Last night I got the water level high enough to turn on the MP60. It is AWESOME. Right now I have it on the right panel, dead center. The undertow is strong enough to gently pull sand from the farthest side of the tank and bring it all the way under the pump. Luckily the pump is not sucking up any sand or air so I think I have it in a good position. The broadness of the flow is crazy, it creates tiny whirlpools on the front panel at the opposite corner of the tank!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear about your MP60 doing okay. If I am not mistaken you had asked about the noise earlier? I am really looking forward to new pics after everything settles! Your equipment layout looks great, I like how clean everything looks.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost got the tank full....would have had it full awhile ago but the wife doesn't want me filling overnight.

Last night I got the water level high enough to turn on the MP60. It is AWESOME. Right now I have it on the right panel, dead center. The undertow is strong enough to gently pull sand from the farthest side of the tank and bring it all the way under the pump. Luckily the pump is not sucking up any sand or air so I think I have it in a good position. The broadness of the flow is crazy, it creates tiny whirlpools on the front panel at the opposite corner of the tank!

That's a crazy amount of undertow. I have a pair of MP10's. They are great, but they don't even come close to the amount of water that beast moves!

CJ

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. I have the tank up an running. Everything is plumbing, right now I just have the return pump, vortech, and AI module running. The AI will later be replaced by my constellation light fixture. The vortech mp60 is crazy powerful, as you can see, it has shifted the entire sand bed, I was running it on full-blast as a test. I am hoping that the MP60 will provide enough flow for all of my reef inhabitants.

aquarium_by_logzor-d3dxgjj.jpg

This is how I hung the AI module, my other light fixture uses the same hanging kit.

ceiling_mount_by_logzor-d3dxgan.jpg

I ran the litermeter tubing to the aquarium, total of 25'. These tubes will supply my alkalinity, calcium, and top-off water. Now that I think about it I should probably go ahead and add another if I plan on doing magnesium, too.

aquarium_tubing_by_logzor-d3dxghd.jpg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Did you ever find out why your MP60 was making so much noise?

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Logzor,

where did you get the hanging kit from and could you provide some information? Looking for something simple like yours..

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the hanging kit that I bought with the AI SOL Blue module, I think this kit is more or less an industry standard. That is, aside from the assembly found directly about the AI unit. These rails are produced by AI.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock has been added! I'm pretty happy with the rockwork - 99% bulk reef supply eco-rocks. The idea is to maximize growth space for sps corals.

new_aquarium_with_rock_by_logzor-d3elwtc.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new picture - I dig the openess of the tank...i have seen more tanks taking this approach and i think it looks great!! How do you like the BRS rock?? I have been checking out FHI Farm Coral Genetic Tracker even started a thread but no one responded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back