Losing 2 fish a day

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if this has been answered in the thread already but I have a major disaster on my hands. My tank must of been infested with velvet from a new fish and I have been rapidly losing 2 fish a day for the last 4 days. So at this point tank water is no good plus no time to seed a sponge. I have a 50 gallon AIO I can use as a hospital/Qt tank. How do I start the cycle? I received CP from my LFS what's the best way for me to start? I read to treat with cp for 30 days. Do I do water changes in the 30 days? If yes when and how much?And if so I have no more cp as of now to add to new water.
I've been in this hobby for over 10 years and I've had my current tank a 280 mixed reef for 8 without ever an issue. It really takes one bad fish to ruin 8 years of what I had established. I learned my lesson now the hard way and will QT everything from now on.
Thank you
Jimmy

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bio-media do you have for the AIO? To put in the back chamber? You can seed it using a bacteria in a bottle product such as Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

Where did your LFS get their CP from? If its not at least 99% pure pharmaceutical grade, it may not work. :(

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy, how many fish and what size? Will a 50 gal tank support them? You could seed with "bacteria-in-a-bottle," e.g., BIO Spira. All the fish will have to be removed from your DT and it allowed to fallow for 6 weeks--better to go 76 days to ensure ICH is killed off. CP needs to be maintained at a therapeutic level for 30 days. This means it needs to be replaced with new water during changes.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try to cycle the tank. Start with freshly mixed water and dose 40/mg per gallon (standard dose). That's 1/8 tsp. per 10/G. Treat 2 weeks for Velvet and 4 weeks for ICH. Do water changes when ammonia or nitrate gets high. Good luck.

OP
OP

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy, how many fish and what size? Will a 50 gal tank support them? You could seed with "bacteria-in-a-bottle," e.g., BIO Spira. All the fish will have to be removed from your DT and it allowed to fallow for 6 weeks--better to go 76 days to ensure ICH is killed off. CP needs to be maintained at a therapeutic level for 30 days. This means it needs to be replaced with new water during changes.
Smo thanks for the quick reply!
Right now I have 5 fish left unfortunately.
So I add the bio spira and start transferring the live fish into the qt. I will keep an eye on ammonia levels if they go up use an ammonia reducer? When should I do the first water change?

OP
OP

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smo thanks for the quick reply!
Right now I have 5 fish left unfortunately.
So I add the bio spira and start transferring the live fish into the qt. I will keep an eye on ammonia levels if they go up use an ammonia reducer? When should I do the first water change?

OP
OP

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bio-media do you have for the AIO? To put in the back chamber? You can seed it using a bacteria in a bottle product such as Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

Where did your LFS get their CP from? If its not at least 99% pure pharmaceutical grade, it may not work. :(
Sorry I got confused when I didn't see my previous post lol.
I have the sponges that come with the innovative marine AIO 50 gallon
I will ask them tomorrow about CP.
will do all of the above tomorrow hopefully will still have five fish by then.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would get an ammonia alert badge for active monitoring and do WCs as needed:

718Lmg-ZrLL._SY450_.jpg

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per Reefahholic, perform a water change if you see ammonia increase.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I got confused when I didn't see my previous post lol.
I have the sponges that come with the innovative marine AIO 50 gallon
I will ask them tomorrow about CP.
will do all of the above tomorrow hopefully will still have five fish by then.

If they are dying this fast, you might wanna get the survivors into QT with CP TONIGHT (if possible).

Worry about the other details tomorrow.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use ammonia reducer.... I am pretty certain that products such as SeaChems Prime are not compatible with copper based treatments.... if you seed according to bacteria in a bottle directions... it shouldn't be an issue. When water change is necessary just bring copper level back to therapeutic level.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are dying this fast, you might wanna get the survivors into QT with CP TONIGHT (if possible).

Yea I had a feeling started adding water that I had pre mixed already and also bought 25 gallons of nutria sea water to add.
Do not use ammonia reducer.... I am pretty certain that products such as SeaChems Prime are not compatible with copper based treatments.... if you seed according to bacteria in a bottle directions... it shouldn't be an issue. When water change is necessary just bring copper level back to therapeutic level.
I read for cp you can use ammonia reducer? Not for copper if I read it correct.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X2

OP
OP

90reefernyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90reefernyc How did you make out?
Well I managed to catch 3 fish but wrasse didn't make it :( I have a hippo and scopes still in tank hippo is hiding really well plus I'm scared the cp might kill him. Just got home from work so back at it now. What are your thought about hippo?
Thank you everyone for the help!
Jimmy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back