Lyrtail anthias popeye

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do for this guy? His eye has just gotten worse. My LFS said he wouldn’t try and pop it because they are more sensitive fish…

how would I go about helping him?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there anything I can do for this guy? His eye has just gotten worse. My LFS said he wouldn’t try and pop it because they are more sensitive fish…

You dont pop - popeye
A pic would be very helpful under white lighting to see what you are referring to. Typically for eye issues, Erthromyacin (maracyn) is the treatment but lets assess this first

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Correct. no one would pop it. I would suggest the link in the top of the forum

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (2) anthias, a wrasse, and a damsel in QT right now under going 30 days of copper. The damsel developed popeye about 2 weeks in. I ended up treating the QT tank with Kanaplex for the damsel's popeye. I did (2) treatments, 48 hours apart. The popeye went away in about a week.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on #fishmedic to help me with this fish. He is getting a bit worse and I need to do something before he dies of infection or something.
It was a rock structure that semi collapsed on him so I know for a fact it was brute trama to the head.
Video above is the best I can get. I have been trying for better but he is hiding like crazy. If I have to remove him from the tank I will but I don’t have another QT set up for him…..

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell in the video, but is it just a clear bubble over the eye? or is the whole eye bulged out of the eye socket?
If it's just a clear bubble over an otherwise intact eye, it should clear up on it's own. If the eye itself is bulging out, then the fish might be in more serious trouble.

Is the fish still eating?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on #fishmedic to help me with this fish. He is getting a bit worse and I need to do something before he dies of infection or something.
It was a rock structure that semi collapsed on him so I know for a fact it was brute trama to the head.
Video above is the best I can get. I have been trying for better but he is hiding like crazy. If I have to remove him from the tank I will but I don’t have another QT set up for him…..
It's hard to tell from the video whether infection has set in or not. The injury appears large, but nothing surgically you can do.

As indicated in earlier posts, the best you can do now is to prevent/treat for infection with an antibiotic such as Maracyn.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As the others said, time is the one thing that can fix this issue. In some cases, treatment with Erythromycin (Maracyn 1) can help with secondary bacterial infections. Moving it to a treatment tank runs the risk of aggravating the injury though.

If you want to read up on fish eye issues, here is an overview I wrote a few years ago:

Jay

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the others said, time is the one thing that can fix this issue. In some cases, treatment with Erythromycin (Maracyn 1) can help with secondary bacterial infections. Moving it to a treatment tank runs the risk of aggravating the injury though.

If you want to read up on fish eye issues, here is an overview I wrote a few years ago:

Jay
Honestly jay I haven’t see this fish eat since the first day before the popeye. I am guessing he is because it’s now been 2 weeks and the shop said then need food at the very least 1 time a day. But him and the soldier fish are always hiding in the back during feeding so I cannot positively say yes or no.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly jay I haven’t see this fish eat since the first day before the popeye. I am guessing he is because it’s now been 2 weeks and the shop said then need food at the very least 1 time a day. But him and the soldier fish are always hiding in the back during feeding so I cannot positively say yes or no.
That’s not a good sign, it should come out to feed. Try feeding it from a darkened room so that your presence doesn’t scare it. Chopped mysids would be a good choice.
Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my damsel developed popeye in QT recently, it too stayed hidden 99% of the time. It would dart out and grab food though... but would dart right back into it's pvc cave and hide. It kept hiding until the bubble over it's eye started going away. Then it started staying out longer and longer as the eye got better. I think the hiding is natural reaction because they can't see out of one eye, so they don't feel secure out in the open. Keep feeding it and as it heals, it should start coming out more.

As long as it's eating, and the eye itself isn't bulged out, it will probably heal in a little time.

don't give up hope.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a good sign, it should come out to feed. Try feeding it from a darkened room so that your presence doesn’t scare it. Chopped mysids would be a good choice.
Jay
Sounds good rn I am feeding a mix I make myself. Mysis shrimo (frozen) with TDO pellets and garlic.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back