OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..... a rainbow or lemondrop or purple rain bta? errrrr, I mean a clam?

-t.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys still liking that darker substrate? I love this tank! :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darker substrate is nice indeed but it makes seeing detritus on it a little more difficult IMO but then with a good CUC there really should not be any or not much of it ... but yes the dark ones look real nice

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darker substrate is nice indeed but it makes seeing detritus on it a little more difficult IMO but then with a good CUC there really should not be any or not much of it ... but yes the dark ones look real nice

My semi-OCD won't allow me dark substrate for this very reason! :lol:

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then it will always look like detritus is in the tank! I think I am just weird. :lol:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then it will always look like detritus is in the tank! I think I am just weird. :lol:

Not really, it's all a matter of personal preference just like what fish and corals we add ... everyone has their own likes and not-so-like (dislikes does not seem like the right word here). Black is nice though. Personally I use the sand color ... but I have very little of it as I am not really using the sand as additional bio filtration, just to cover the bottom up.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, and sorry MT for hijacking this thread! :O

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good for you and how much substrate one uses is a matter of personal preference too in most cases as I pointed out (now if you have sand digging Gobies then you will need more of a substate so they can dig a burrow, and Gobies are not the only ones that go in the sand, Jawfish for instance do too).

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike and Terry .. this is one for the TOTM contest ... all you need in there I think is a yellow fish to add a little more color but that is just my opinion ...

Thank you Albert and we'll take a look at our options for a yellow fish... Too bad the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface don't come in "dwarf" sizes, LOL.

My semi-OCD won't allow me dark substrate for this very reason! :lol:

Yes that makes sense ... but a mix of some dark and some creamy/white can overcome that issue I think.

Not really, it's all a matter of personal preference just like what fish and corals we add ... everyone has their own likes and not-so-like (dislikes does not seem like the right word here). Black is nice though. Personally I use the sand color ... but I have very little of it as I am not really using the sand as additional bio filtration, just to cover the bottom up.

Good for you and how much substrate one uses is a matter of personal preference too in most cases as I pointed out (now if you have sand digging Gobies then you will need more of a substate so they can dig a burrow, and Gobies are not the only ones that go in the sand, Jawfish for instance do too).

No worries about hijacking and we do like the dark substrate. Ours has some white mixed in and we are very happy with it. In person, you don't really see detritus as the LED's are very blue. I have to adjust the white balance to knock back quite a bit of blue in my pics so that coral and fish colors are more realistic. When I do this, especially in shady areas, the substrate ends up taking on a reddish tint - which has more to do with my post processing skills (or lack there of) and less about detritus in the sand bed. As part of our cleanup crew, we keep nassarius, fighting conchs and a Tiger Tail sea cucumber and they do a fairly good job of keeping it clean.

-Terry

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Albert and we'll take a look at our options for a yellow fish... Too bad the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface don't come in "dwarf" sizes, LOL.

No worries about hijacking and we do like the dark substrate. Ours has some white mixed in and we are very happy with it. In person, you don't really see detritus as the LED's are very blue. I have to adjust the white balance to knock back quite a bit of blue in my pics so that coral and fish colors are more realistic. When I do this, especially in shady areas, the substrate ends up taking on a reddish tint - which has more to do with my post processing skills (or lack there of) and less about detritus in the sand bed. As part of our cleanup crew, we keep nassarius, fighting conchs and a Tiger Tail sea cucumber and they do a fairly good job of keeping it clean.
-Terry

Yes pity indeed ... but then there are plenty of other ones you can choose from that is if you really want to add a Yellow one : - ) ...

And on the Conchs ... here is an interesting picture of one :

neuwave.png

Captured at the most interesting angle I think .... It is in the tank of another member on another forum (Neuvave)

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Whole thread was a great read!

Im planing on doing a 12" shallow As well and after seeing this it makes me want to start it right now! Thanks for the Pics there some of the best ive seen. Im also going to use leds.

Hows the tank doing ? Any plans to get more corals ?

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. How about a few progression photos from start to current? and also, what is your dosing regiment like for this tank?

Back