Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the collection from Macna doing?
Okay, I finally got off of my slacker but... Here's an updated FTS as of yesterday. The scape has changed significantly since the last update. We removed one of the larger VidaRock structures and replaced it with a flat rock which we hope the zoa's will eventually cover.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, its definitely a stuff you can't have with Angels tank. I don't see any fish in the picture, whatcha got in there?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!! Love it!! :)

Aleks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I finally got off of my slacker but... Here's an updated FTS as of yesterday. The scape has changed significantly since the last update. We removed one of the larger VidaRock structures and replaced it with a flat rock which we hope the zoa's will eventually cover.

It's fine. Black sand is very rare.
I love scolymia

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, its definitely a stuff you can't have with Angels tank. I don't see any fish in the picture, whatcha got in there?
Thanks Brett! There are no fish in there right now. I'll eventually add 2 or 3, but want to do some research first before making any decisions.

Beautiful. Really like the open layout.
Beautiful!! Love it!! :)
It's fine. Black sand is very rare.
I love scolymia
Thanks so much for the compliments guys! :)

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should have waited a few days before posting the last update. We weren't thrilled with the flat rock for the z's and p's, so Terry went digging through the 150g stock vat sump for the big system and found a VidaRock frag station that we forgot we had. She also added a bonded pair of Oxymonacanthus longirostris that she is weaning over to frozen food.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice on the fish, love it
Thanks Brett! They have a couple of acros to pick at (and sleep in) while I wean them over to prepared foods. The female is already eating frozen spirulina/brine and plankton. The male is mostly picking at the food, but it's a start. They both are hunting for pods which was a pleasant surprise. I'm glad I keep the tank stocked with a few varieties.

-Terry

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been an interesting couple of weeks with the new filefish pair. They are both eating spirulina/brine and smaller marine plankton from the water column which is great, but we ended up having to move most of our acan lords to the frag tank on the big system because they were both picking at them incessantly. Thankfully, the acans were not damaged and the polyps began to open up shortly after the move.

Most surprising to us is they are not picking at the SPS colonies much at all. In trying to appeal to their natural grazing instinct, we tried smearing gel food into a dead acro skeleton several times, but neither fish showed any interest (perhaps the acans just taste better, LOL!).

So today, I decided to try a small piece of Larry's Reef Frenzy on a veggie clip to see how they would respond. It took about an hour, but the female finally decided to give it a try with the male following behind her soon after. They've been taking turns at the clip and ignoring the 2 remaining acan lords ever since.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! They are gorgeous fish. That is really weird that they are going after the acans. I would not have thought they would go for them first.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank, corals, fish and photography are gorgeous.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! They are gorgeous fish. That is really weird that they are going after the acans. I would not have thought they would go for them first.
Thanks Krista! We were caught a bit off guard with the acans, but it's looking like the LRS on a clip will keep them occupied. We knew these guys were corallivores and that it might be necessary to make concessions in order to keep them. Worst case, we can turn a section of the frag tank into an acan garden, LOL!

Your tank, corals, fish and photography are gorgeous.
Thank You so much!

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krista! We were caught a bit off guard with the acans, but it's looking like the LRS on a clip will keep them occupied.

Thanks for sharing! I am glad they are eating frozen foods and hopefully you don't have any more trouble out of them.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I am glad they are eating frozen foods and hopefully you don't have any more trouble out of them.
Thanks Larry! They LOVE it and so far they are leaving my acans alone.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a GREAT time at MACNA and brought home a few LPS gems for the nano... we'll post some pics later this week.

We also had the pleasure of talking with Felix Bordon (president of Reef Savvy) about the 2015 Dream Tank Giveaway to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Here's a short video we put together:

For more details and to donate, go to: https://www.smore.com/mcvre

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back