Macro tank felt cute, might change it's water later, idk

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any of you add like mud or something to the sand for those that are rooted in it, rather than the ones on the rock?
Mine came in on real ocean live rock (Tampa Bay Saltwater). Harvested some from Tampa Bay. I super glue to a piece of rubble some times.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! No, they don't really root like normal plants do. Most of them put out little tenterhooks that latch onto almost anything, and others don't have much of a way of attaching and just float around and catch on things. The ones you see in the sand bed on mine are just pushed in with my finger or tweezers and stay in place well enough.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came in on real ocean live rock (Tampa Bay Saltwater). Harvested some from Tampa Bay. I super glue to a piece of rubble some times.
Nice! I've got the TBS mantis box coming which has a few pieces of LR with it. Hopefully I get lucky with some macro attached.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! No, they don't really root like normal plants do. Most of them put out little tenterhooks that latch onto almost anything, and others don't have much of a way of attaching and just float around and catch on things. The ones you see in the sand bed on mine are just pushed in with my finger or tweezers and stay in place well enough.
Ok good to know! I've got a really good lfs that I'll see if they have any macro next time I head over there. I didn't think to look last time I was there.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "display" refugium on my frag system where macro grows rampant along with rock, sand and a variety of inverts. Macro doesn't last long in my display, my tang, angel and starry blenny devour it.
Here’s my little slice of macro jungle

IMG_5027.jpeg
IMG_5028.jpeg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great looking! I love the powerheads, they look like a mad scientist wearing goggles with some crazy pink hair!
That powerhead reminded my husband and I of an outer space creature, ha ha! However, it was so big and clunky, (especially when I pruned the gracilaria) that I replaced it a few weeks ago with a much less intrusive wavemaker.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any of you add like mud or something to the sand for those that are rooted in it, rather than the ones on the rock?
I used soil from my garden to try and grow seagrasses. I doubt the soil hurt anything but the seagrasses were a dismal failure.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used soil from my garden to try and grow seagrasses. I doubt the soil hurt anything but the seagrasses were a dismal failure.
Ohh no lol, yeah idk.. I meant ocean mud. I got some from FloridaPets:
20240229_180934.jpg

It wasn't what I was hoping for my application, but thinking about it for mixing with a live sand and having it it in a low flow macro tank might be really good.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh no lol, yeah idk.. I meant ocean mud. I got some from FloridaPets:
20240229_180934.jpg

It wasn't what I was hoping for my application, but thinking about it for mixing with a live sand and having it it in a low flow macro tank might be really good.
I knew you meant some sort of marine mud but I have heard that miracle mud is just California clay. Supposedly some of the benefit of miracle mud is the trace minerals that leach from it. I figured my organic garden soil should be able to provide the same benefit.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back