OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that paint is dry I spent the evening figuring out my ADJ power strip and how to illuminate underneath and hide wires. I think I got it figured out now :cool: I was hoping the @IOAOI skimmer would glow under the blacklight a little more but I’m still very pleased with it.
IMG_9273.jpeg
IMG_9274.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got it moved to its permanent home today. This one is in my bedroom. I also did a little decorating. I added some of the stickers from the aquatic expo and some stuff from local fish stores.
IMG_9278.jpeg
IMG_9279.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Last night my got my RO/DI unit set up and properly broken in. The mission for today was to get the tank filled, salted and cycling. I’d say that mission was a success. I did end up going the sand route even though I had siliconed a piece of white acrylic into the bottom for a bare bottom setup. I just couldn't live with having to limit my options when it comes to fish. So, here we go. I filled 62 gallons knowing I would be having to take some out once rock, salt and sand went in. I found a happy balance of flow and silence with the pump running at about 60%, I’m figuring I’m getting about 250-300gph through the sump and I think I can live with that.
IMG_9285.jpeg

Got the rock in and went ahead and put some extra in the sump, what’s in there will be used for islands and any type of odds and ends I may need. It will ultimately be replaced with the rock from my 14 gallon.
IMG_9286.jpeg

I took what was left of my bag of Caribsea sand and rinsed it one colander full at a time in RO water to minimize the milky tank Syndrom.
IMG_9287.jpeg

And here we are. All sanded and ready to cycle. I had to take out 3 gallons to get to a good maximum water level in the sump. The total water volume is 59 gallons.
IMG_9288.jpeg

The next thing on my list of DIY is the stand shell, which is too easy, the canopy, light mounts and the canopy ventilation system. I figured i can do all that while Its cycling. I still want to order a little bit of gulf live rock and some pods and phytoplankton. Bio diversity is the name of the game here.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve added a little sand from my tanks and some rocks to the sump that have been curing in a bucket for months. I’ve been dosing microbacter 7 and I just added enough ammonium chloride (fritz fishless cycle) to bring it up to a detectable level. Let the cycle begin! I know the ammonium chloride is probably unnecessary but it does give me a reference point to see how the bacteria is doing and gives them fuel to power their colonization.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My next question is how long until I can add pods and phyto and get them colonizing…:thinking-face:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going the traditional way of cycling over weeks, then after ammonia/nitrite are zero and an algae/bacteria film has formed on the glass. If you’re going the instant method then whenever the tank is stabilized for fish. Without a refugium or real rubble zone however it isn’t likely they will last more than 3-6 months in any great numbers. Just long enough to help establish and stabilize a budding new tank however. Phyto in a full tank seems like a waste since the majority will die or be skimmed out. Unless you’re going to try and raise them in a separate container.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also…. Here’s the water parameters.
Temp 78
Sg 1.026
Nitrate 5
Phosphate .03
Ammonia 1.5? I tested twice…
Alk 8
Cal 450
Mag 1320

I dosed alk and mag to get them to my target which is
Alk 9
Cal 450
Mag 1350

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also…. PODS!!! I see pods for the first time tonight. I had seeded this a week ago with a tiny bit of sand and some bio media from my 5 gallon tank. I’ve had cardboard covering the glass just kinda letting it do it’s thing in the dark. Tonight had a small light on to look at the new rock addition so I got out the microscope to see if there’s life in the sand and there is… and there’s pods on the glass too. Yay! I also ordered some pods and phyto from jays reef bugs that will go in here as well. I a good healthy and reproducing pod population is a must.
IMG_9387.jpeg
IMG_9390.jpeg
IMG_9391.jpeg
IMG_9393.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two 16oz bottles of the 7 species pod blend and first dose of 8 species phytoplankton blend added today, both from Jays reef bugs. I’m hoping this gives my micro biology a head start. The plan is to give them at least a week to get established before any livestock is added.

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Let there be light! I took inspiration from @UkiahTheTurtle ’s shelf/light mount and came up with this. I still have to figure out where I want to mount my ballast but I now have a mounted light.
IMG_9417.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made a pair of DIY acrylic lids this morning. These will work until I can either get pieces of glass cut to this pattern or get mesh lids custom made.
IMG_9419.jpeg
image.jpg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sunday update! I finally have fish! I went and on a mission today to The Fish Room in south Charlotte. They always have the healthiest fish so I got a trio of green chromis today and I’m calling them the three stooges.
IMG_9453.jpeg

While I was there I also saw a tiny neon green toadstool growing on their frag rack and when I asked about it the manager gave it to me so yay! Free neon green toadstool! The chromis are doing well and checking out their new home and the toadstool is in a half solo cup rubber banded to a piece of rock in the corner of the tank. It’s already extending polyps so I must be doing something right.
IMG_9447.jpeg

I also added some zoanthids I got at the aquatic expo last month. I took 3” frag Discs and glued rubble to them and made zoa islands that double as pod sanctuarys.
IMG_9448.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back