OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and that's a serious equipment list. Good stuff. How you like the skimmer? It fit in the back chambers?

The skimmer is OK, I'm still fiddling with it. Getting wet skimmate. It does fit in the back no problem.

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned out my hobby storage closet this week and after some lucrative forum sells I ordered some new corals today. I've never bought fish or coral via the internet, only plants when I was running FW planted tanks.

So something I've been lusting after since I started my tank, Jedi Mind Trick...
12794373_10154020724009410_309517219449931953_n.jpg

Yes the pic is from Unique Corals because that's where I bought it. Montipora undata - ORA "Mind Trick" Undata 1.5"-2" stock frag photo
That verdant green skin and bright blue growth ring is amazing.

Something else I've wanted since I started, Green and Purple Frogspawn...
12814115_10154020724124410_8217438852011766204_n.jpg

This pic is from BSA Corals because that's where I bought it. WYSIWYG
Neon green w/ dark purple heads gotta love it.

I don't have any zoas and it seems like everyone has zoas so I bought a big one of some I liked, Eagle Eye 15+ polyps...
12814426_10154020724119410_3143248902228775346_n.jpg

The pic is from Unique Corals because that's where I bought it. Zoanthus sp. - "Eagle Eye" Zoanthid - 15+ Polyp Jumbo stock frag photo
Lime green rings with red centers is stunning.

I need some deep red in the tank and like the Monti Strawberry Fields I have so picked up a Red Monti Cap...
10599118_10154020724049410_867668034698145409_n.jpg

The pic is from Unique Corals because that's where I bought it. Montipora capricornus - UC Red "Monti Cap" 1.25"-1.5" stock frag photo
Nice rich red plating form with that pink growth ring looks great.

And to complete my life long obsession with the Star Wars franchise, Darth Maul Porites...
12813907_10154020723939410_2890591145903772967_n.jpg

This pic is from BSA Corals because that's where I bought it. WYSIWYG
Great color on this one. It looks like velvet.

I also picked up a VorTech MP10QD as well.

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do a list (I like lists) of corals that I have and figured I'd post it here instead of filing it away on Google Drive.

To the best of my recollection in the order obtained...
Actinodiscus sp - Red Spotted or Blue Spot Mushroom 1.0"
Actinodiscus sp - Blue or Purple Mushroom .75"
Rhodactis sp - Orange Mushroom 1.0" + Before I found a good spot for this and could glue it down it completely disappeared. I sort of halfway took some LR out looking for it but it was no use. Sucks because this was my favorite 'shroom.
Briareum (Pachyclavularia) violacea - Green Star Polyp 1"x2", frag + Mine is lighter green but the mat is a very nice purple. Currently rubber banded to it's own rock.
Favia sp - Aussie Holiday Favia 1.5"x1.5", frag + I believe this to be the case based on this picture.
Favia sp - Aussie Reverse Prism Favia - 1.25"x1.25", frag + I believe this to be the case based on this picture.
Montipora digitata - Green Branching Monti 1"x1"x2", frag
Montipora capricornis - Strawberry Fields 3"x3", colony/mother
Montipora capricornus - UC Red "Monti Cap" 1.25"x1.5", frag
Montipora undata - ORA "[Jedi] Mind Trick" Undata 2"x3", small colony/mother
Zoanthus sp - "Eagle Eye" Zoanthid - 15+ polyp, frag
Porites sp - Darth Maul Porites 1"x1", frag
Euphyllia divisa - Green and Purple Frogspawn 2 heads, frag

I got one other thing as a freebie from BSA Corals with my order today, but I'm not 100% sure what it is yet.

I also got my MP10QD installed, I like it so far. I have it set to Nutrient Transport Mode, but wish the speed indicator LEDs had some sort of GPH flow rating.

I did my first full param check in a while this evening as well.
Salinity - 1.026 [refractometer]
pH - 8.3 [API]
Ammonia - 0 ppm [API] (Seachem Ammonia Alert reads <0.02 ppm)
Nitrite - 0 ppm [API]
Nitrate - 1-2 ppm [API] (just the slightest tinge of orange)
Calcium - 420 ppm [Red Sea]
Alkalinity - 10.6 dKH [Red Sea]
Magnesium - 1380 ppm [Red Sea]

I'm feeling pretty good about how things are working.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya. This is what I was working with before, a 2g food grade bucket from Lowe's. You could see the white of the bucket through that access hole on the side. I used some carbon fiber look vinyl to camouflage it but it was still terrible. Luckily the side of the reservoir I made that you can see through the same hole looks perfect.
12628505_10153885024604410_799419264820739632_o.jpg
20160309_091650.jpg

About as bad as my 6 gallon $12 wal-mart special. BPA free! It's sitting on an old coral delivery box because tom's aqua lifter is more like grandpa's aqua lifter...

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, whatever works right, and if you can hide it in the cabinet all the better.

I will say the peristaltic pump from Avast is a beast. I've read people having their ATO reservoir like in their basement and it will pump water up two stories, across the attic and down into people tanks. It's amazing. Very, very pricey however.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I was looking at the Diaphragm Pump that Avast offered. Looks like they stopped making it. $45 i can handle. $110 for an intermittent pump that I only need 3ft of pumping.. Not sure if thats for me lol. It's good to know that I have options, though!

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments!

Time for a small update, the tank is doing well.

Some story that has been going on over the last month or so...
I've have some bad luck with clownfish. The first one, an SA standard ocellaris, was always fine, the 2nd one, a SA Semi Fancy ocellaris, jumped out. Clownfish aren't really known as jumpers so I thought it was a fluke and bought another SA standard and he jumped into the top compartment of the InTank media basket and even though he lived through that and I rescued him he didn't live very long. I got a tempoary lexan lid cut for the tank and got another small SA standard. It was so small it swam through the over flow and got wedged between the stock media basket wall and some filter floss. Discouraged that I might be labelled as "the Clownfish Serial Killer" by you all and my LFS, whom I have a great relationship with, I had a heart to heart with guy who owns the store. He said to bring the first one back because that might be harassing the others into escaping, even though I hadn't witness this at all, and get one of his known pairs. More money for him but it made sense so I did it and I'm now the happy owner of a SA Picasso (I've wanted one since I started) Percula female and and a SA Percularis Snow Onyx male pair. Happy to report they are doing g well.

I also recently added another scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, I have 2 now and love these guys. Everytime I stick my hand in the tank for more than just a second they junp on my hand and start picking waying.

My Starry blenny is very personable now. For awhile after I got him anytime I got near the tank he would flash away and hide, but now it's exactly the opposite. Super cool looking and he always comes up to see what I might be putting in the tank to eat and he eats everything.

I have now just yesterday added my last fish, barring any unforeseen incidents, a tank raised ORA Indigo dottyback, said to be much more passive than the orchids or wild caught. He's still hiding a lot but is venturing out of his rock more and more.

I typed out entirely on my phone so please forgive any glaring mistakes I didn't catch.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Discouraged that I might be labelled as "the Clownfish Serial Killer" by you all and my LFS, whom I have a great relationship with, I had a heart to heart with guy who owns the store.
I wouldn't worry about upsetting us oldtimers or anyone else for that matter, we've all made some pretty stupid mistakes but you didn't make one here. One of your fish might be aggressive and you may never see it, that's not a mistake you made it can happen to anyone.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some story that has been going on over the last month or so...
I've have some bad luck with clownfish. The first one, an SA standard ocellaris, was always fine, the 2nd one, a SA Semi Fancy ocellaris, jumped out. Clownfish aren't really known as jumpers so I thought it was a fluke and bought another SA standard and he jumped into the top compartment of the InTank media basket and even though he lived through that and I rescued him he didn't live very long. I got a tempoary lexan lid cut for the tank and got another small SA standard. It was so small it swam through the over flow and got wedged between the stock media basket wall and some filter floss. Discouraged that I might be labelled as "the Clownfish Serial Killer" by you all and my LFS, whom I have a great relationship with, I had a heart to heart with guy who owns the store. He said to bring the first one back because that might be harassing the others into escaping, even though I hadn't witness this at all, and get one of his known pairs. More money for him but it made sense so I did it and I'm now the happy owner of a SA Picasso (I've wanted one since I started) Percula female and and a SA Percularis Snow Onyx male pair. Happy to report they are doing g well.

I also recently added another scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, I have 2 now and love these guys. Everytime I stick my hand in the tank for more than just a second they junp on my hand and start picking waying.

My Starry blenny is very personable now. For awhile after I got him anytime I got near the tank he would flash away and hide, but now it's exactly the opposite. Super cool looking and he always comes up to see what I might be putting in the tank to eat and he eats everything.

I have now just yesterday added my last fish, barring any unforeseen incidents, a tank raised ORA Indigo dottyback, said to be much more passive than the orchids or wild caught. He's still hiding a lot but is venturing out of his rock more and more.

I typed out entirely on my phone so please forgive any glaring mistakes I didn't catch.
It's all trial and error. You're doing a great job. We run in to problems and we learn from them. I would like to note that I had a clownfish jump once. It happened only once and actually happened right in front of me. The fish was saved. Later I realized he jumped because my old cpr bak pak skimmer was giving off so much vibration inside the tank, he couldn't tolerate it. The skimmer was removed. Even to this day, I always put my ear up to the tank to make sure things aren't too loud. This is all just my experience.

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to travel for work last week and on my drive back to SE TN from SW MI I stopped at Premium Aquatics in Edinburgh, IN and then at Aquatica in Lexington. Got some awesome new pieces of coral (pics coming as soon as I get caught up from being away from home for a week.) Premium is pretty cool great prices and very helpful. Aquatica is freaking awesome! The prices are AMAZING and the owner is super cool.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading your thread this morning, really nice:) I also have the jbj 30 gallon rl with the stand. I love it but wish I would have gone bigger. As for jumping clowns, I know all about it, I bought the brs screen kit so hopefully no more issues with that. :) I originally bought the tunze 9004 skimmer but because I didn't have an ato I returned it and bought the Aqua maxx hob1 and love it. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new purchase. :D

OP
OP
MPSchenck

MPSchenck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time for some pics! Just a few for now.

Got this locally for a steal, 6 heads purple stalks with mostly neon green tips but there is a little splatter in there. I'm growing seriously fond of Euphyllia and currently have 3 in the tank.
12322792_10154104499609410_8456033474271766305_o.jpg

Got this mini Favia beauty at Aquatica in Lexingion Ky last Friday. I need to say this shop and it's owner are truly awesome. I wish he shipped.
10365569_10154104499594410_2228507832480082321_o.jpg

I got this mean green thing at Premium Aquatics last Friday also...
12719504_10154104499599410_7004909460651168101_o.jpg

I've read about how seriously mean and dangerous these Hydnophora are to other corals so I have this one in it's own corner.

I took more pics but once I got them on the laptop they weren't so clear so I'll take some more and post ASAP.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back