Maxspect Gyre - Buyer Beware

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a issue that reflected only a few pumps in the first batch. It has been corrected by Coralvue.
I think if you have similar and your pump is from the first batch you can contact them and they will take care of it.
My pumps are from the first batch and I don't see any problems, even I clean them every three weeks and inspect them closely.
Must say of topic that I love that Module you hook up to your apex to set different modes and schedules. Most part I like is I can have a night mode

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those with issues use halides?

I know there were issues with cords on other products where is was UV from halides causing issues.
I have MH but they are mogul bulbs so no uv transmission.
But i will check my cord tonite and report back.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still intact. Now that I've seen this I'll keep my eye on it. Last thing I want is to be electrocuted, so hopefully the issue is with a batch of unit rather than all of them! Luckily mine is under the extended warranty since I bought at first release.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think a recall is up to them it would be up to Maxspect.
They probably could put pressure on them if this is wide spread problem...
If this is a real problem then there should be a recall.

If CoralVue is the US distributor, and handles all warranty claims, then I believe a recall is their responsibility. Certainly better than a lawsuit if someone got hurt...but then again, that would be proactive, and we live in a reactive world.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are shipping me a new motor out today, already have the tracking number. I love the unit, my flow is great with the Grye and everything is growing well.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really surprised they have not replied in this thread..
Meh.
If yours (or mine) has this issue, you just submit a support ticket and get it replaced.
It's really not that big of a deal and probably not worth them getting involved in some internet forum discussion.
Then people start complaining when their support tickets aren't being answered because they are spending all their time on the forums. ;)

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you under estimate social media and forums when it comes to marketing and customer acquisition. These forums have multiple dedicated threads manufactories and suppliers have created. Most companies will have someone who is responsible for monitoring forums and promoting their products via social media.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you under estimate social media and forums when it comes to marketing and customer acquisition. These forums have multiple dedicated threads manufactories and suppliers have created. Most companies will have someone who is responsible for monitoring forums and promoting their products via social media.
I'm not underestimating. I understand how social media works.
But you also may be overestimating how many Gyre owners are on this website. A very small percentage.
I'm not going to speak for CoralVue, I just personally don't see the need for them to come in here and tell us to submit a support ticket if our power wires split open.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus by all accounts the problem has been fixed in the newer models. This type of thing is common in first gen units, just look at the first gen Xbox 360 (red ring of death). Its easy for small defects to not be noticed until after they have gone to market, plus if they contracted the manufacturing out to a third party(which they probably did) it might have been the manufacturing company that cut corners by using low grade plastic to save money and not Maxspect.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plus by all accounts the problem has been fixed in the newer models. This type of thing is common in first gen units, just look at the first gen Xbox 360 (red ring of death). Its easy for small defects to not be noticed until after they have gone to market, plus if they contracted the manufacturing out to a third party(which they probably did) it might have been the manufacturing company that cut corners by using low grade plastic to save money and not Maxspect.

That is a bad comparison because I went through 4 xbox 360 and I had friends that went through more. I will say out of every product I ever owned the xbox 360 was the worst and support was horrible. It was so bad I had to have a back up xbox 360... too bad because Xbox live was a awsume product.

Chris@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for their input and concern.

We have had some reports from the first manufacturing batch of the outer cable insulation cracking. Not all early Gyres are having the issue, there are people, including beta testers, that are still running the old Gyres without any issues. Maxspect did change the insulation material used for the cable sleeve to a more durable one and we have not seen any issues with any of the motors that were manufactured with the new shield. The new cable was implemented on all XF150 Gyres sold by CoralVue in 2015.

The XF130 has always used the improved cable insulation and we have never had any reports concerning the cable on this model.

If anybody is having issues with the motor, they can just contact us via support portal and we will send out a replacement motor block the same day.

www.coralvue.com/support

Thanks,

Chris

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do give it to coral view for a fast replacement but here is a pic of the bad motor on mine.
image.jpg

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen. The fractured wiring also led to some bizarre skimmer operation that required a substantial water change over the period of a week. I didn't notice the problem until after the Gyre started spitting out micro bubbles for a few days. After removing it from the tank I noticed the cracks with the wiring. I was sent a new motor block and the wiring is definitely thicker and seems more pliable. Part of the problem has to be with the design that has the cord exiting straight out and requiring a quick bend to not interfere with the glass while the magnets attach. I'm not sure what this leeched into my water but things were looking bad for a while and are just starting to come back. JP
IMG_2667.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2668.JPG.jpeg
Wow! Not good guys!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of the bad ones and Chris was awesome and helped me get it replaced, the new one seems a lot better so far and is noticeably stronger.

Customer service from CoralVue was outstanding throughout the entire process.

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit is low voltage so no worry about electrocution. Thank you Coralvue for a awesome pump, Solid Service, and taking the time to come on this forum.

I will keep an eye on mine, I just ordered the improved magnet to quiet the pump for $10 with free shipping on Coralvue site.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back