Maxspect Gyre - Buyer Beware

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Xf-150 since late January and the cabling has failed close to the powered, YES inside the tank. I am bringing this to everyone's attention because the first unit I received from Dr Fosters arrived with a broken cable close to the power head. I returned that unit and bought another one from my LFS the same day because I needed one ASAP.

It appears the cabling used for this unit is not rated from a saltwater tank. The outer core of the cable has become extremely brittle and starting cracking. The inner cables are now completely exposed and its only a matter of time before the water makes its way to the motor.

I have opened a ticket with CoralVue and will update the thread when they reply. Personally I do not want another Gyre in my tank after seeing the same issue with two units.

EDO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I have one in my tank since Feb and will be keeping a eye on it.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and a couple guys locally have as well. I had my unit replaced and sold it letting the guy know this can become an issue. Mine was about a year old before I noticed the wire.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and a couple guys locally have as well. I had my unit replaced and sold it letting the guy know this can become an issue. Mine was about a year old before I noticed the wire.

That is what I suspected, its a manufacturing issues caused by the quality/grade of the wire used. Mine has been in the same position with no pressure or friction on the unit. The saltwater has basically degraded the integrity of the outer core of the cable.

I will try and get my money back from the LFS or Coralvue, and maybe switch to MP40s. Its a shame really, the design of the unit is good and it works well but I can have risk the chance of fire or frying my live stock.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, this is good to know. I wonder if they have changed this yet in the newer units

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you mean by "failed"?
I've had mine running since December and just finally took it out and gave it a vinegar soak a couple weeks ago but didn't notice anything.
Now I'll have to check.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is concerning, I've only had mine for a month. Hope this was fixed on the newer versions. Do you guys who have had issue's have any pics you can post? I'd like to see what may happen.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is concerning, I've only had mine for a month. Hope this was fixed on the newer versions. Do you guys who have had issue's have any pics you can post? I'd like to see what may happen.

I have just received an email from Coralvue confirming this is a known issue and the newer units have upgraded wiring. Nice of them to carry on selling defected products and not recall the bad units for replacement.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you mean by "failed"?

The outer core of the powerhead wiring goes hard, brittle and cracks when exposed to water or heat/cold. Its basically low quality wiring. I have had $20 powerheads running for years without any problems.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just received an email from Coralvue confirming this is a known issue and the newer units have upgraded wiring. Nice of them to carry on selling defected products and not recall the bad units for replacement.

Standard operating procedure for CoralVue it seems now...don't know what happened in the last couple of years. They used to have the best Customer Service/Support in the business. I guess it is too expensive to do right by the customer.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed. How can you knowing sell an electrical item that submerges in water knowing the wiring is not rated for under water usage. The initial problem was probably caused by the Chinese manufacturer but they have a duty of responsibility to their customers.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Standard operating procedure for CoralVue it seems now...don't know what happened in the last couple of years. They used to have the best Customer Service/Support in the business. I guess it is too expensive to do right by the customer.

I dont think a recall is up to them it would be up to Maxspect.
They probably could put pressure on them if this is wide spread problem...
If this is a real problem then there should be a recall.

Indeed. How can you knowing sell an electrical item that submerges in water knowing the wiring is not rated for under water usage. The initial problem was probably caused by the Chinese manufacturer but they have a duty of responsibility to their customers.

I doubt they knowingly did and it sounds like they fixed it once they did know if what was said up above is true..

It also sounds like those with issues are being taken care of..

Last edited:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any pictures of these cracking power cords?

And is the Gyre UL rated? Would the UL rating cover that?

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen. The fractured wiring also led to some bizarre skimmer operation that required a substantial water change over the period of a week. I didn't notice the problem until after the Gyre started spitting out micro bubbles for a few days. After removing it from the tank I noticed the cracks with the wiring. I was sent a new motor block and the wiring is definitely thicker and seems more pliable. Part of the problem has to be with the design that has the cord exiting straight out and requiring a quick bend to not interfere with the glass while the magnets attach. I'm not sure what this leeched into my water but things were looking bad for a while and are just starting to come back. JP
IMG_2667.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2668.JPG.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think a recall is up to them it would be up to Maxspect.
They probably could put pressure on them if this is wide spread problem...
If this is a real problem then there should be a recall.

Well I have had two units with the same issue and found other people that have had the problem as well. I think getting confirmation the wiring has been changed is an indication its a widespread problems on units sold prior to at least Febuary 2015.

OP
OP
M

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has cracked about two inches away from the motor block. If you handle the cable that was in the water its hard and brittle but the rest of the cable is still fairly soft. At least is a DC unit but I am not sure how well fish and coral would cope with an electrical current in the water.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow i brought mine few weeks ago ill keep a closes eyes i really love this thing better than mp10

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back