OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm doing my part saving the reefs one lionfish dinner at a time.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually the 4th I've had. It's pretty good. It's a fairly light fish. Not fishy which is good. I hate fishy fish. :) I went on a dive trip to Curacao a couple years ago and had it at a restaurant close to my Resort. Then I did a lionfish dive which was really neat. First they gave us a little class about the fish explaining why they're so bad for our ecosystem. Then on the dive whenever we saw one the dive master would spear it. I wish we could have done it ourselves but I guess it's probably bad for business if your clients accidently spear each other. Then back on the boat they counted up the catch and measured the biggest and smallest cut one up and served sashimi right there on the boat. At the end we all got a t-shirt and a gift certificate for a free lionfish meal out in town. This picture was at grills in Florida. More places are serving it in the hopes of trying to get a good fishery going. This is one fish that overfishing would actually be a really good thing.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously I'd BBQ them and sell them at my restaurant if I could get them reasonably. Not reasonably priced for us to get them here in Texas right now and I'm sure the cost of diving and collecting them isn't worth the hassle. Probably the same as the feral hogs here. Tasty but the amount of time and effort that goes into getting/processing them doesn't make a lot of sense when farm pork is $1/pound at the store.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously I'd BBQ them and sell them at my restaurant if I could get them reasonably. Not reasonably priced for us to get them here in Texas right now and I'm sure the cost of diving and collecting them isn't worth the hassle. Probably the same as the feral hogs here. Tasty but the amount of time and effort that goes into getting/processing them doesn't make a lot of sense when farm pork is $1/pound at the store.

I bet they'd be good BBQd. There's a page on Facebook called lionfish university where they're trying to educate people about the lionfish problem and someone posted a picture on there of a lionfish Pizza he made. It looked pretty good.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone's curious look up lionfish hunting on YouTube. There's a couple of videos that show how bad it is in some areas. Watch "lionfish airplane; Pensacola florida, Gulf of Mexico" and "a visit to possibly the most infested lionfish region." It's insane how many there are. In Florida they're actually starting to find them in the brackish waterways.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think another idea would be to use them to make food for the reefing hobby. Kind of fight fire with fire so to speak.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.3%

Back