Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t really have much issues with the nori falling apart. It does a little, but all the small fish eat it.

I will admit that I have been feeding more “lightly“ lately. I still feed nori, but I can feed more. The fish all have pouches of fat. I also think the foxface taught the yellow tang to nip. Lots of different factors.

I still will not add the yellow tang back. Once a nipper, always a nipper. The yellow tang would repeatedly go straight to picking at the trachy, even after it took a few bites from the food that escaped the trap. I also really want my orange shoulder tang to change colors. :)
I guess I'll take that nipper (yellow tang) off your hands ;)

I cut my nori into small squares soak it in tank water and dump it in like flake food, I usually have to press it against the cup first so is sinks. the fish go crazy for it like this and it's less scary than the clip, my fish are timid and the clip scares them and it takes a while for them to start picking at it and usually large chunks float around..

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have the pyramid butterflies?
The yellow ones? No. They died from flukes. I recently did a prazipro treatment in the display. I currently have a black pyramid doing well.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. How ironic.

You guys might think I’m batsh*t crazy. If you don’t believe me, I totally understand.

I saw the pyramid butterfly eating literal chunks out of a acanthophyllia tonight. I tried catching the fish by hand feeding salmon. It ate, but I couldn’t catch it.

I put out the trap, and this fish took literal chunks out of the coral as it was swimming back and fourth from behind the trap. Even though it was eating food, it still went for the coral.

Anyway, I caught the fish with the trap within 30 minutes. I promise I’m not going crazy. The coral has skeleton showing from the flesh the fish removed.

To be honest, I think that fish was ugly anyway. I only added it for aiptasia, but I believe my copperband is keeping them in check.

I’m totally OK. I don’t feel upset at all. I felt like I had too many fish because it was very hard to keep my nutrients in check, so this is a blessing in disguise. I’m happy this happened.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys might think I’m batsh*t crazy. If you don’t believe me, I totally understand
Can't we think you're batsh*t crazy AND believe you? I don't think they are mutually exclusive ;)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't we think you're batsh*t crazy AND believe you? I don't think they are mutually exclusive ;)
IMG_7366.gif

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my yearly sump and skimmer cleaning. I saw a lot of brown mulm on the bottom of the sump, and in the skimmer.

I also bought a backup replacement skimmer pump. I want to be extra prepared in case something ever happens.

Does anyone else’s tank accumulate brown gunk in the pumps and sump area?

Clean as a whistle!

IMG_7383.jpeg

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did my yearly sump and skimmer cleaning. I saw a lot of brown mulm on the bottom of the sump, and in the skimmer.

I also bought a backup replacement skimmer pump. I want to be extra prepared in case something ever happens.

Clean as a whistle!

IMG_7383.jpeg
Mine does. On the rare occasion I do water changes I usually vac it out then.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clean as a whistle!

IMG_7383.jpeg
Is a sump clean a thing we should do! Yet another thing for me to neglect.
In fresh water. Think it’s called mulm.
And can be sold to others starting tanks.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you delete your Reef Showcase?
Are you an FBI??? How in the world did you notice this?!?

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I’m not upset. I’m just surprised, and I thought I was tech savvy. I think you have a bright future ahead of you!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you an FBI??? How in the world did you notice this?!?

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I’m not upset. I’m just surprised, and I thought I was tech savvy. I think you have a bright future ahead of you!
It came up as a notification. It rang my bell...

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you delete your Reef Showcase?
And yes I did! I’ve been planning something with my build threads these past few days. I wanted to eliminate the reef showcase, and create a new build thread and have it very photo-centric with a specific tank theme and goal.

This thread is a little too messy since I was a
beginner in build threads. I’ve been inspired by Roberto Dendani, and I really like how much information is compressed in a minimalistic way. You can find everything about his tank in a few short pages. I really like that.

I hope this is OK with everyone. I purchased 3 new creatures yesterday, and I’m really happy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back