OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the photos! I also have 18 clams :). Most are Maxima, but but I have several other species. There's always room for more clams. Are you having to dose nitrates? I definitely have to, clams will strip nutrients fast!
Nope. I have the opposite problem: I need to actively work to keep my nutrients low.

I keep a lot of fish and feed them well. There are lot of ammonium and phosphorous in my water, despite my test kits testing 0. :)

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I have the opposite problem: I need to actively work to keep my nutrients low.

I keep a lot of fish and feed them well. There are lot of ammonium and phosphorous in my water, despite my test kits testing 0. :)
Ah, yeah that’ll do it. I’m not a fan of reef safe fish so I don’t have many.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my reef safe fish weren’t very reef safe in my experience when it came to my trachyphyllia corals.

I had to remove a foxface, yellow tang, blue tang, Lamarck angel, pyramid butterfly, and bellus angel because they eventually picked at them.

However, the Copperband butterfly is totally reef safe in my tank. I’m grateful for this.

I need to take an update photo of my trachy garden because 2 died from this picture from getting eaten, and I added a new one last week after seeing the remaining start thriving again.

I really like trachyphyllia corals. They are so underrated IMO.

IMG_6683.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same! Probably most of my fish stock is under the genre of ‘Reef Safe with Caution’.
The butterflies and angels are without a doubt my favourite larger fish with wrasses and gobies being my favourite smaller fish.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my reef safe fish weren’t very reef safe in my experience when it came to my trachyphyllia corals.

I had to remove a foxface, yellow tang, blue tang, Lamarck angel, pyramid butterfly, and bellus angel because they eventually picked at them.

However, the Copperband butterfly is totally reef safe in my tank. I’m grateful for this.

I need to take an update photo of my trachy garden because 2 died from this picture from getting eaten, and I added a new one last week after seeing the remaining start thriving again.

I really like trachyphyllia corals. They are so underrated IMO.

IMG_6683.jpeg
Soooo many fish think trachs are yummy. It's sad

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same! Probably most of my fish stock is under the genre of ‘Reef Safe with Caution’.
The butterflies and angels are without a doubt my favourite larger fish with wrasses and gobies being my favourite smaller fish.
They all have very big personalities distinct from other species types. Gobies are very much their own thing as are wrasses and angels and butterflies. Very distinctive and enjoyable

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have very big personalities distinct from other species types. Gobies are very much their own thing as are wrasses and angels and butterflies. Very distinctive and enjoyable
Gobies are definitely… interesting.
This guy seems to constantly get into this back chamber somehow. I’m surprised he has yet to jump and over aim.
IMG_8305.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are definitely… interesting.
This guy seems to constantly get into this back chamber somehow. I’m surprised he has yet to jump and over aim.
IMG_8305.jpeg
YWGs love going cruising and jumping it's wild. Luckily they have like 0 ups. Mine every 6 months or so for the 6 years Ive had them spends a couple of days cruising at the very top corner of the tank before finding its hole again

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YWGs love going cruising and jumping it's wild. Luckily they have like 0 ups. Mine every 6 months or so for the 6 years Ive had them spends a couple of days cruising at the very top corner of the tank before finding its hole again
My nano has I believe 6-7 gobies and I think the two Rainfordi’s are the most intriguing to watch. The yasha hangs with his pistol shrimp and the 3 Clown Gobies hang out in the rock (or in the yellow’s case the back chambers).
IMG_8303.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has I believe 6-7 gobies and I think the two Rainfordi’s are the most intriguing to watch. The yasha hangs with his pistol shrimp and the 3 Clown Gobies hang out in the rock (or in the yellow’s case the back chambers).
IMG_8303.jpeg
Does your rainfords take to prepared foods well? That was always my hesitancy with them as they can be very persnickity at first

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is my clown goby in her favorite spot 2 days ago. And a bonus shot of her sharing it with the lawnmower blenny
1000004148.jpg
1000004159.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your rainfords take to prepared foods well? That was always my hesitancy with them as they can be very persnickity at first
Yep, they both take to frozen quite happily.

I do also have a Mandarin that takes frozen quite merrily in that tank too.

And the 3 Clown gobies on their favourite perches!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Nice! Wild caught or biota?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Wild caught or biota?
A surprisingly very small wild caught Target Mandarin. I think I got her in March/April just after the tank was 6 months old.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
How’s the maxima clam doing?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the maxima clam doing?
The hole in the centre of his mantle is completely healed, the gaping is still there but is better than it was.
Annoyingly, my clown gobies love sitting on his scutes so I can’t get great photos of his mantle when they’re watching.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole in the centre of his mantle is completely healed, the gaping is still there but is better than it was.
Annoyingly, my clown gobies love sitting on his scutes so I can’t get great photos of his mantle when they’re watching.
That’s great to hear! I’m so glad it’s still kicking. Clams can be so resilient at times. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back