Votes: 18 14.6%

• Total voters

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Michigan man myself, born and raised there for 22 years! So i'd have to say i agree! I'll be there visiting from December 21st to the 29th, can't wait. I plan to go check some places out...:nerd:

What part of MI, Matt?

Michigan really has grown in that last 10 years or so with all the great shops on the eastside. Not to many here on the SWside of Michigan, only one that I know of lacally to me that is real good with stock and prices, service. We need more on this side of the state simple cause I can't make it over to the other side that much.....BUt I would say we are top 5 for sure as a whole.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We will have a top five poll very soon! :)

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it is up there for specifically the reefing community. Some of the LFS are not bad, but I can't say I would miss them if they were gone (at least from a livestock point of view). Most of my livestock acquisitions come from fellow reefers, which again brings me back to the reefing community.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that MI has to be one of the top 5. I'm from the East Side of Cleveland OH, and there isn't much up here. The 2 LFS over here are kinda junky (dirty), and they have no coral selection. There is the big box stores, but I wouldn't buy any living creature from there. The closest good store to me is over an hour away. Columbus is over 2 hours away. If someone is looking for a market, East Side of Cleveland needs a good LFS, that actually deals in coral.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to go with portland oregon :) we even have a few corals named for oregon... haha

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Nashville, MI. Went to school at Maple Valley which is in Vermontville. I went to college at Western Michigan and lived in Kalamazoo for 2 years. I lived in East Lansing after that for another couple years till i joined the Navy and it moved me out to San Diego where i met my wife, got married and got out of the service and opened FnF. I intended on moving back but my wife works at Sea World training killer whales so she won't move (i don't blame her). But that being said, i'm content with the quality of the hobby on the west coast and i don't think i could stay in business if it weren't for me being here. Great reefers all over the country, but i'm happy with San Diego! Only a hop, skip, and a jump from LA which of course is the vital nerve of coral country! :wink:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow... I remember when it was just me, Azurel, and a few others... my, my, MI take over.... :D

anyway, MI has great representation in the reefing community... I have met a lot of people with great dedication to their reefs and continue to grow in their knowledge as they progress... of course a lot can be said with other reefers from around the country and around the world (R2R worldwide... ;) )

I'm just glad to see lotsa MI reefers represent here in my home base... :D

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gota be honest though its you folks back east that keep me in business.

yah you have got my money before. and hoping for some gift cert for the holidays. (so You need more amd more and more zoas:tongue:)

the only problem up here is the cost of shipping here from the left coast. and the weather for shipping can be crazy

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for NY...although the LFS around the Metro NYC area are lacking for livestock, the local hobbyist and reefing spirit are alive and kicking big time in the Big Apple

Last edited:

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say Michigan is tops. We have had 3-or 4 RC tanks of the month. I know Mike was a TOTM on here. We have some decent stores, but on an individual reef keeper we have a pretty large group of guys that can go head to head with Cali boys.

Cali should be a given since your whole state is bordered by the ocean. We are surrounded by freshwater and rock the saltwater world.

If Cali guys couldnt go cherry pick at the wholesalers Michigan would completely own Cali.

Fish n' Frags

Gold Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say Michigan is tops. We have had 3-or 4 RC tanks of the month. I know Mike was a TOTM on here. We have some decent stores, but on an individual reef keeper we have a pretty large group of guys that can go head to head with Cali boys.

Cali should be a given since your whole state is bordered by the ocean. We are surrounded by freshwater and rock the saltwater world.

If Cali guys couldnt go cherry pick at the wholesalers Michigan would completely own Cali.

If us Cali guys couldn't cherry pick and bring in good product to sell you Michigan guys, we'd all be screwed!! :snicker:

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what youve started Rev

Hes plotting over there i know it.

Getting Cali and Michigan up in arms with each other, while NYC sneaks in the back door.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems like the people are more excited and more organized.

Back about seven years ago, a bunch of us happened were on <another site> and kept noticing the "MI" in the user location. Eventually, we PM'd each other and got people together for the first frag swaps. Mustang and Tim hosted them.... I think about 30 people showed up.

Eventually, we became more formally organized. We started a Michigan reefers group on Yahoo.... after about 6 months or so, Michigan Reefers.com was born, and the organization jumped to a whole new level!

Within 3 years, we could no longer contain frag swaps to someone's home.... the last "home" swap was at Jason's (Murph) condo in plymouth back in the first week of March 2004....about 200 people showed up! Good luck finding your shoes as you kicked them off at the door on that cold wintery day LOL!

Bottom line -- we may be far far away from the reef, but we sure have a passion for it!

Last edited:
Back