Moon lighting?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then do you all leave your moon lights on all night and have no black out time and have them kick off when your light schedule kicks back on? Just curious. Thanks

You can do it that way no problem :)
I leave mine on 24/7 because they use next to no power. Only like 1.7 watts or something.
Some people also have them on for just a few hours either side of the regular lighting period to simulate a dawn and dusk effect, which is recommended if you use fluorescent lighting for moon lights. If you have fluorescent lights on all night or 24/7 you'd have to replace them far more often.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who says moon lights help any of our livestock? This is just a current fad with no scientific basis for the lights. What do they accomplish?

OP
OP
S

StillReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't get too much into it because this conversation could go on for a long time, but the blue part of the light spectrum has a large peak that will allow your corals to photosynthesise. In other words the blue light is there for the cool effects, but it's also necessary for the corals to produce food. The white lights are there so it doesn't look like the fish are swimming in windex lol.
Check out Lighting spectra, Photosynthesis, and You Lighting spectra, Photosynthesis, and You for a far more scientific look into how corals react to light. It's a great read and there's alot if important information in it.
If you only have fish, then yes the blue is just there for looks :)

Thank you for that!!! Appreciate the read. I think I have figured out the route i am going to take.

OP
OP
S

StillReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who says moon lights help any of our livestock? This is just a current fad with no scientific basis for the lights. What do they accomplish?

I was looking at it as a way to see whats going on at night in the tank, and the hobbyist in me wants to synthesize the moon the best i can!! :nerd:

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put these in my 7' 150 gallon today.

5M SMD RGB 5050 Waterproof Strip Light 300 LED 44 Key IR Remote 12V 5A Power | eBay
Says they are self adhesive but I siliconed them to the inside lip of the trim.
They are dimable and color changing...not sure how long they will last, but they look for for now.
20140802_224012[1].jpg
20140802_223931[1].jpg
20140802_143220[1].jpg

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea. It's not that the moon light grow the coral. It keeps them in check at night for those of us lps lovers and fans of sweeper tentacles. If you have a tank full of coral like mine the moon light is essential. From personal experience leaving your tank pitch black with a tank full of coral lps mostly and you will pay dearly

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never put nothing in your tank that could potentially cause a problem for your love stock sake

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the very least it looks cool. It won't harm the tank and it benefits you, so why not do it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back