Moorish Idol

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the admonition about Idols is to run away because they don't survive in captivity, but that's usually because they're not eating. I saw an Idol in my LFS and it was eating frozen food. Would you folks suggest it might be worth a shot?

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with idols is eating frozen is not enough (seaweed is key) it has to be eating everything I mean everything mine nips at coral all the time:crying-face:. a well establish tank is needed as well, mine Was in a observation tank for 2 weeks to make sure he/she had problems and was eating then after that he/she went in the MD in a acclamation box for 2-3 weeks to get the idol ready for the other fish I placed the acclamation box close to the automatic feeder (3 times a day) so it was on the same schedule and feed nori every day mine has been in my tank for 4 months now at least this worked for me so far

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori is key for it to bulk up and survive. They graze constantly throughout the day like tangs IME. My auto feeder feeds 8 times a day ON, NLS spectrum pellets and I supplement that along with 1-2 sheet of nori daily and frozen foods 2-3 times a week (krill’s, LRS fish frenzy, clams,).

Had mines for 2 years (not considering it a success), but hopefully they continue to do well.

Attachments

• 219B1962-74C9-406A-A41C-0B155F09F873.jpeg
    219B1962-74C9-406A-A41C-0B155F09F873.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori is key for it to bulk up and survive. They graze constantly throughout the day like tangs IME. My auto feeder feeds 8 times a day ON, NLS spectrum pellets and I supplement that along with 1-2 sheet of nori daily and frozen foods 2-3 times a week (krill’s, LRS fish frenzy, clams,).

Had mines for 2 years (not considering it a success), but hopefully they continue to do well.
beautiful fish

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolute dream fish! If you go for it, let us come along for the journey! Always wanted one of these but I only have a 4 foot tank- not really considering it large enough for one of those beauties! :confused:

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a high maintenance fish. Not sure I can manage to swap out nori on a daily basis and feed frozen regularly. I also have Maximas, so a clan-eating fish isn't in the cards. Gonna have to think about that for a while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know the admonition about Idols is to run away because they don't survive in captivity, but that's usually because they're not eating. I saw an Idol in my LFS and it was eating frozen food. Would you folks suggest it might be worth a shot?
This has changed as back in the 80's and 90's, if they ate- they were gold but Ive yet to see one the last 7-8 years that dont eat. Most now are from Africa and appear very hardy

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has changed as back in the 80's and 90's, if they ate- they were gold but Ive yet to see one the last 7-8 years that dont eat. Most now are from Africa and appear very hardy
This fish is so cool! I too stay away because how hard everyone says it is to keep. People are saying nori works?? I had tangs and plan to have some again so would an extra nori clip (got 2, one on each end) be enough to keep them fed as much as they need to inbetween feedings???

Edit after reading the below post Im thinkin thats not sustainable for them as they have other requirements.

Last edited:

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank very heavy because my idle always wants to eat. Nori, frozen, pellets, hole clams… and still it picks at corals. It hasn’t killed any, but if I add a frag or move a coral he just has to have a taste. So my experience is getting him to stop eating is the hard part . Also mine likes heavy flow, and they grow fast.

Attachments

• 8D9D2A96-1FED-4FA0-862C-E699963BF20C.jpeg
    8D9D2A96-1FED-4FA0-862C-E699963BF20C.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 73

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish is so cool! I too stay away because how hard everyone says it is to keep. People are saying nori works?? I had tangs and plan to have some again so would an extra nori clip (got 2, one on each end) be enough to keep them fed as much as they need to inbetween feedings???

Edit after reading the below post Im thinkin thats not sustainable for them as they have other requirements.
These were mine until I caught them eating my softies:

idols.jpg
idol3.jpg

I fed them Rods herbivore formula, fresh clam, mussels, beefheart, blackworms, red and purple nori, mysis shrimp, krill and brine shrimp.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank very heavy because my idle always wants to eat. Nori, frozen, pellets, hole clams… and still it picks at corals. It hasn’t killed any, but if I add a frag or move a coral he just has to have a taste. So my experience is getting him to stop eating is the hard part . Also mine likes heavy flow, and they grow
hahaha just like mine

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were mine until I caught them eating my softies:

idols.jpg
idol3.jpg

I fed them Rods herbivore formula, fresh clam, mussels, beefheart, blackworms, red and purple nori, mysis shrimp, krill and brine shrimp.
Do they need to be in schools?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back