most expensive(and sweetest) chalice I have ever seen!

Jessy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It getting a lot of TLC rite now and it is starting to grow again. Not to mention it took almost 3 month after fragging to start growing again. Ian has receive my last frag and i will not be fragging the chalice until as least a year. I will take a good pictures once i get the color to pop again.
May I ask what is your TLC regime? Because I have a chalice of the same species I think (similar texture and growth pattern) that I've had for a while now. But I'm getting next to no growth on it, the skin is thinning out, and the polyps NEVER open to feed. Do yours? Is this high or low in your tank?

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rite now i have it under a rock ledge with very little flow. Also for now i am just trying to grow it out and then worry about the color later. To feed this chalice you have to shut off all pump and just squirt brine shrimp or other food on top of it and let the pump stay off for a while. Then the feeder tentacles will come out to eat once the food sit on top of the chalice for a few minute. Feeding will help it grow and once it happy it will start to grow and important not to move it once it grows. I notice if you move a chalice when it happy it will take a while for it to adapt to the new environment. Good luck with you chalice.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meltingpot.jpg

meltingchaliceLarge.jpg

Anyone else notice these 2 pictures match up on overlay? I see the second picture pop up on forums - it looks like a misrepresentation..

SS

here it is to end the dispute.

the photoshop one, and the real one look very similar. however, look closely. they are NOT the same. photoshop is an amazing tool. but all actinics are are blue lights. and lighting can be affected my PS. here is the story:

i photoshopped the supposed "original" pic under daylights. here it is:
meltingpot-1.jpg

(and trust me... this wasnt that easy, had to play with the LEVELS and stuff a lot.) this was mad photoshopping, and if you look very very closely, the colors are more BLUE in the one I PHOTOSHOPPED. also, no matter what i did, the background in my PHOTOSHOPPED one couldnt get as dark as the background in the PIC IN QUESTION, becuase the pic i did SHOP was a daylight pic.

the end. ive seen this coral in person and it ISNT photoshopped. the melting pot under LED actinics is what gives it the amazing color in the photo ktar posted. hope this helps

Last edited:

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and lastly. the pics match, probably because ktar took the daylight pic... and then flipped the actinics on, and snapped another one. the camera (phone) he was using, was probably on a tripod or sitting on something giving them the same angle.

and lastly, it seems like most people who have gotten it (texas) are quite happy.

-dan

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and one last note. it seems like the pic in question is more out of focus. just my observation tho.

carry on (im sure im banned for these posts but w/e)

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jjjo: In ktars defense, I too think the coral is quite vivid in the first and second pic. Also, if it was set up to a tripod, the pics could very well be same angle and size with different lighting. For fun and my usual skeptical curiosity, I overlayed an opaque layer to see how the 2 images matched up - exact. I was interested in confirming which is the more accurate depiction of the colony.. we'll see later when more pictures surface.

SS

BTW: The argument based on background shade leads me to refer you to this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_X5uR7VC4M

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i have never seen that vid. but, i wanted to defend a friend of mine. IM SO SICK OF PPL CRYING PHOTOSHOP to every nice coral out there

Texas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what it is.You like or you don't.Pictures will come in time so will more frags.Mine is growing fast but has lost some color due to bulb change.I just want to say I do have alot of chalices and the Melting pot is by far one of the brightest chalices I have.Its also one of the only chalices that throws out tentacles all the time and eats alot.I feel very lucky to have it.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most pictures people show you anymore have been post processed in some sort of photoshop type of software, the camera can not always see what your eye see and may need some touching up and balancing.
I see nothing misleading about the pictures posted of this coral. I think its pretty sweet looking, and its a shame the colony got hit by the acan or whatever scared it up like that. Keep givin it the tlc ktar, its a hot piece.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It getting a lot of TLC rite now and it is starting to grow again. Not to mention it took almost 3 month after fragging to start growing again. Ian has receive my last frag and i will not be fragging the chalice until as least a year. I will take a good pictures once i get the color to pop again.

good news, now I can harass Ian for a frag once his grows out heheheh :D

do you hear that Ian! feed that baby! feed em!

Texas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my frag from a few months ago.Lighting in the picture is 4 t5 actinics.I will post new pictures in the next few months after I get the new bulbs and it colors up a bit.It will be cool to see how much it has grown in the next few months.I have not seen any of the other frags to compare to mine.So maybe the others can compare to mine.

frags061-1.jpg

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Texas! Mine is under 250W Radium 20K and does not look as nice as yours! I might have to start another frag tank and light with T5's only!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back