Moving a goby shrimp pair

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried searching for a while on this. I have a pair in an old a 180?200? Liter tank I'm moving to a 1000 liter. While there are threads for catching them that all seem to end up at the inverted bottle trap method of which I'm still trying to work out catching as the tank will be torn down once they're out as the last hold outs.

My question though is adding them into the new tank so in a way they aren't separated in this much larger system and have to find each other. I've not been able to find anything on this!

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby and shrimp pairs usually hang together.they will likely find each other. Just try to release them in close proximity to each other.

rustingsteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved shrimp goby pairs several times. If you're simply tearing down the tank, leave them for last. I actually just moved two goby shrimp pairs last week when consolidating two tanks into one. They're both happily on opposite sides of the tank in their respective burrows.

• Check to make sure the shrimp isn't on any of the rockwork
  • Remove all the rockwork
  • Drain tank until maybe an inch or so water above the sand.
  • Dig up the goby and shrimp. You might have to sift through the spot they burrowed in but typically they'll pop up eventually.
  • I usually keep the shrimp and goby in a seperate container of water but I typically place them first in the new tank
  • If you're so inclined, set up some rock/rubble where the shrimp can dig a burrow, start an initial dig for them under the rock/rubble. Then place the shrimp in that spot. They'll typically start digging out their burrow there. Might have to coax them back to the spot though.
  • Once the shrimp is digging, either use a shot glass or some pvc pipe and drop them into the spot where the shrimp dug their burrow.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried searching for a while on this. I have a pair in an old a 180?200? Liter tank I'm moving to a 1000 liter. While there are threads for catching them that all seem to end up at the inverted bottle trap method of which I'm still trying to work out catching as the tank will be torn down once they're out as the last hold outs.

My question though is adding them into the new tank so in a way they aren't separated in this much larger system and have to find each other. I've not been able to find anything on this!
I moved mine and they found each other again. Shrimp ended up wedging himself in a rock, I moved the rock and caught the goby in my hand. Took them a day or so then they made a hole together

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what I'm mostly left with. I didn't want to go this route for fearing of losing oxygen or potentially smashing one..but this weekend if definitely time and as I'll be doing some sand work on my new tank once it's doen it will be time to break thos one down and move these guys in.

I didn't think they would take to a pre started burrow but will definite try it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back