Moving, thoughts on drying rock out

bolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving from CA to TX and stopping for a week in Vegas. I have a 20 gallon that’s been running for almost two years. Fighting bubble algea and aiptasia. Thoughts on tossing the sand and drying out the rock? Would the water be fine sitting in jugs for two weeks before the tank is up and running again? I have two clowns and a Halloween urchin I would be trying to keep. Will they be ok to go back in the tank or is the tank basically going to have to recycle?
thanks for the help!

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving from CA to TX and stopping for a week in Vegas. I have a 20 gallon that’s been running for almost two years. Fighting bubble algea and aiptasia. Thoughts on tossing the sand and drying out the rock? Would the water be fine sitting in jugs for two weeks before the tank is up and running again? I have two clowns and a Halloween urchin I would be trying to keep. Will they be ok to go back in the tank or is the tank basically going to have to recycle?
thanks for the help!
Personally what I would do is keep some rock with the water and fish just enough to give some filtering benefits. Then once you settle down dry out half of it at a time. Once the first half is completely dry scrub it then return it to the tank then dry out the second half. Recycling the tank won’t be necessary you might see a tiny ammonia spike just make sure you add some carbon to keep it down.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about buying some bio media to seed from your tank. It can easily be kept with the fish for that amount of time. It should help with any cycling worries.

Back