OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a dosing pump with 4 heads. I'm going to be using the Triton method. Does anyone have any recommendations?

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at what just came in!!! It's the XF-130. I love the metal case it came in. They are great for shop storage. I'll be posting more pictures of it installed and a review.

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hard to find fitting also came in today. It's from Grainger. It's a T for 3/4" to 3/8" so I can T off my flexible return line to the BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. I had to order 12 and only need 1 maybe 2 so if anyone needs some just let me know.

IMG_3325.jpg

ewenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One small suggestion i want to make from my personal experience. Output the drain hose from your reactor into the filter sock. This will immensely help keep your sump floor cleaner/dust free from the GFO, if you end up running it, or even carbon dust. It is inevitable that those 2 items will eventually grind themselves, even at flow so low it looks to not be moving. It might clog up your filter sock a bit faster, but if you change it out, clean it every 1-2 weeks or so to prevent nitrate/phosphate factory anyway, you shouldnt have any issues!

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One small suggestion i want to make from my personal experience. Output the drain hose from your reactor into the filter sock. This will immensely help keep your sump floor cleaner/dust free from the GFO, if you end up running it, or even carbon dust. It is inevitable that those 2 items will eventually grind themselves, even at flow so low it looks to not be moving. It might clog up your filter sock a bit faster, but if you change it out, clean it every 1-2 weeks or so to prevent nitrate/phosphate factory anyway, you shouldnt have any issues!

Thank you for the advice. Consider it done :)

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I can't decide if I should use my bio pellet reactor or go with Chaeto that I had planned. I already have the bio pellet reactor and it would allow me to use that chamber of my sump for a frag tank. But I really wanted to try Chaeto. Does anyone have experience with both and what are your recommendation?

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. With Chaeto, you'll need gfo. Pellets, you'll have to test for nitrate/phosphate.

ewenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, chaeto in most fuge's wont be able to generally keep up with all the demands of nutrient export. You would need a fuge probably half the size of your display tank, and a ball of chaeto to nearly fill it. But, some, is better than none, with or without biopellets. The slower the phosphates build up, the more time between water changes. :) As long as you dose the necessary items, and keep nitrates to a minimum.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, chaeto in most fuge's wont be able to generally keep up with all the demands of nutrient export. You would need a fuge probably half the size of your display tank, and a ball of chaeto to nearly fill it. But, some, is better than none, with or without biopellets. The slower the phosphates build up, the more time between water changes. :) As long as you dose the necessary items, and keep nitrates to a minimum.

Thank you. I am kind of leaning towards using the space in my sump for a frag tank. I'd love to be able to grow out some corals to sell. Might be a better way to go.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Gyre last night. It was very easy to set up. I've read that some people have a hard time with the controller. I found it very easy to use. I love the flow it provides. Even at 50% it's enough for this tank. I currently have it mounts horizontally on the left side of the tank. It doesn't have a very large footprint on the inside and certainly minimal on the outside. Aesthetically it's more attractive then my Vortex MP10. It also provides more even flow then the MP10. I'm looking forward to see how the corals respond once I get them in there. I also love how it has moved the sand around. It makes it look very natural. One disappointment is that it doesn't have a night mode. That's one thing I love about the MP10 is automatically slows down at night. I might put this on a timer to shutoff at night.

You can see how the sand has been pushed around.
IMG_3337.jpg

I love the ridge behind my vertical rock.
IMG_3338.jpg

If you have any questions about this unit please let me know. I'd be happy to answer them.

ewenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the rig you built for that upwards facing rock on the right side facing the tank. How did you affix the rock to it? Drill a hole through the rock and stand it on the pvc jig? I am very interested in this design

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the rig you built for that upwards facing rock on the right side facing the tank. How did you affix the rock to it? Drill a hole through the rock and stand it on the pvc jig? I am very interested in this design

I used a small pointed chisel and small flat head chisel to make a hole in the bottom of the rock about 4" deep that was slightly smaller then the 1/2" PVC used. Once I felt I had enough rock removed I hammered the PVC into the hole. I left it long and cut it off when I was done. The PVC fit very tight so there was no glue needed. It sits in the center base of the stand also without glue so it can be rotated if desired. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is still in my Bio-Cube, but I thought I would share it. Our clowns are laying eggs again. I hope to raise them this time.

IMG_6525.jpg

Look at the size of her belly!!!
IMG_6534.jpg

I also picked up this guy today.
IMG_6542.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back