OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schedule 80 bulkheads may not fit the holes in the tank. They are normally a little bigger than the schedule 40 that the tank is drilled for. Let me know how the gyre works in the tank. Still deciding if I want to try one out.

You are correct about the schedule 80 not fitting. Are these things I can get at Home Depot or Lowes?

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything came in from BRS tonight. It was a pleasant surprise when I got home. I was never notified that it was shipped. I had one major items missing. The Pukani Dry Rock. I'm greatly disappointed. It's kind of a key ingredient to starting the cycle. All of the bags of sand were frozen solid and one of the bags of sand was cut wide open on one end. Should this be of concern?

Tomorrow I'll be stopping in at Home Depot to pick up some piping to start the plumbing this weekend. What type of piping do people prefer? What type of glue is used to fasten PVC piping together?

I'll also be picking up the glass to make the sump. I really wish I didn't have two meetings in NY on Saturday. I'd spend the entire weekend setting up the tank.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct about the schedule 80 not fitting. Are these things I can get at Home Depot or Lowes?

Unfortunately not that I have seen by me. If you have a decent LFS close by they should have them.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything came in from BRS tonight. It was a pleasant surprise when I got home. I was never notified that it was shipped. I had one major items missing. The Pukani Dry Rock. I'm greatly disappointed. It's kind of a key ingredient to starting the cycle. All of the bags of sand were frozen solid and one of the bags of sand was cut wide open on one end. Should this be of concern?

Tomorrow I'll be stopping in at Home Depot to pick up some piping to start the plumbing this weekend. What type of piping do people prefer? What type of glue is used to fasten PVC piping together?

I'll also be picking up the glass to make the sump. I really wish I didn't have two meetings in NY on Saturday. I'd spend the entire weekend setting up the tank.

Call BRS and ask them for an RMA form. They will refund you.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422590205.529503.jpg

Use these two. Get the grey solvent. Looks way better
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422590241.863752.jpg

Use this for threaded pipes

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't be too concerned about the frozen sand myself. If their was any die off it will help jump start your cycle. As far as plumbing I like using schedule 40 pvc. I think it turns out much "cleaner" looking with the rigid pvc as opposed to poly pipe or similar. This is the pack I normally pick up for gluing pvc http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-8-oz...obileweb_pip_rr-2-_-100345577-_-100151579-_-N some people will say their is no need to prime in our application, but for how easy it is I like to do it correctly the first time. Only other tip I would give is to dry fit everything. Best of luck with it.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your build as I am also currently doing a DBP 57 rimless but I bought the one without the over flow box and I'm drilling the glass for the plumbing also love the stand awesome quality build

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your build as I am also currently doing a DBP 57 rimless but I bought the one without the over flow box and I'm drilling the glass for the plumbing also love the stand awesome quality build

Thank you. Will you be doing a build thread? I'd love to follow along. You are so smart for drilling the tank yourself. The over flow box is the only part I don't care for on this tank. I thought about modifying it, but have decided not to.

I'll have a big update on Sunday. Yesterday I picked up almost everything else I will need to complete the plumbing. I really wish I didn't have a meeting today.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have started a build thread so far it's mostly the stand build which is not near as nice as yours I live in an apt. And have to build in the living room so limited on what I can do

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is complete. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'm glad I waited for all the equipment to come in before I started putting the baffles in. The filter sock compartment had to be a little bigger, but the return pump compartment could be a little smaller. I'm looking forward to putting water in for a test. Here are a couple progress photos and the finished product.

I used blocks of 2x and some painters tap to support the glass while I applied the silicone.
IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is almost 100% complete. I just need to get a reducer to connect the return pump to the GFO/Carbon reactor. I'm so pleased with how the sump and stand turned out. It's certainly better then I have eve expected.

Right side of sump
IMG_6438.jpg

Left side of sump
IMG_6439.jpg

I love this led strip I found. It's flexible with a sticky back and a switch that I mounted on the front of the cabinet so it's easy to turn on.
IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

It's a great fit. It's well organized, bright and accessible.
IMG_6467.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back