My 57 Rimless

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the old oceanic 57 rimless, it has 2 1" holes in the overflow box. Both the drain and return lines under the tank are 1" pvc. In the overflow the return pipe is 1" with a 1"x3/4" thread with locline attached. I built my own durso with 1.5" pvc reduced to fit into the 1" bulkhead. I used oversized pvc for the durso because in my experience it helps quiet things down. The way I have it setup is in my opinion very quiet. I'll see if I can find some pictures and if not I'll try to take a few for you when I get home from work tonight. If I remember correctly the Deeoblue tanks are drilled for a 1" drain and 3/4" return.

I really like that stand. Great work!

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build so far! You sure have come a long way from the first nano build!

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the old oceanic 57 rimless, it has 2 1" holes in the overflow box. Both the drain and return lines under the tank are 1" pvc. In the overflow the return pipe is 1" with a 1"x3/4" thread with locline attached. I built my own durso with 1.5" pvc reduced to fit into the 1" bulkhead. I used oversized pvc for the durso because in my experience it helps quiet things down. The way I have it setup is in my opinion very quiet. I'll see if I can find some pictures and if not I'll try to take a few for you when I get home from work tonight. If I remember correctly the Deeoblue tanks are drilled for a 1" drain and 3/4" return.

I really like that stand. Great work!

Thank you. This tank has a 1.5" hole and a 2" hole. I'm not sure what one is supposed to be the overflow and what one is supposed to be the return. On a bio-cube I didn't have to know about this stuff. It's very exciting to learn. I think the 2" is the overflow and the 1.5" is the return. I think that's they way I'm going to use an unless someone tells me differently.

Thank you. I've very happy with how it's turned out. I'm looking forward to building the doors. I might start that tomorrow.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far! You sure have come a long way from the first nano build!

Thank you. It's going to be a major improvement. We don't have a TV in our house. The tank is our TV. The Bio-Cube was perfect for our studio apartment. Now that we bought a house it's time for a tank that is more appropriate in scale for it. I'll be starting to set the stand and tank in place this weekend.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This tank has a 1.5" hole and a 2" hole. I'm not sure what one is supposed to be the overflow and what one is supposed to be the return. On a bio-cube I didn't have to know about this stuff. It's very exciting to learn. I think the 2" is the overflow and the 1.5" is the return. I think that's they way I'm going to use an unless someone tells me differently.

Thank you. I've very happy with how it's turned out. I'm looking forward to building the doors. I might start that tomorrow.

The bigger hole should be the drain. The actual hole in the glass will be bigger than the actual plumbing. The 2" hole will fit a bulkhead for 1" PVC and the 1.5" hole will take a bulkhead for 3/4" PVC

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to start making the doors today. The doors will be flush with the face frame. The rails and styles are made from 1x stock. I ripped them down to 2-1/2" wide. I have a 3/8" bead on the inside edge. The center is 1/4" MDF.

I used a router to make the 3/8" bead and a 1/4" slot about 1/4" deep for the MDF panel. With a biscuit jointed I made slots on the 45 to have a stronger joint.
IMG_3239.jpg

It's always important to dry fit before gluing anything. If I had an attractive sump using glass would be a great look. It's my first sump so I'm not expecting it be worth looking at.
IMG_3240.jpg

Once everything fits properly glue all the joints.
IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

Clamp and let dry.
IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the tank and stand into it's final spot today. I had a good friend of mine come over to help me. It's a perfect fit for out living room.

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6435.jpg

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's perfect. Now get her wet.

I can't wait to. I have a large shipment coming from BRS. I hope it arrives this week so I can't start putting things together this weekend. I also purchased a second Radion from sailfintang last night.

My plan is to have it setup, cycled and everything from my current tank transferred by April 25. It will be a couple more weeks before I have water.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many things ordered I can't wait for them to come in so I can start setting it up. Here's what I have coming

- A second Radion G2 from another R2R member.
- Jebao DC-9000 Return Pump
- Maxspect Gyre XF130 from Marine Depot
- 15lbs BRS Pukani Dry Rock. Most that I could order :( I hope they send it as one piece like a requested.
- 80lbs Fiji Pink Arag - Alive
- BRS 150 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit
- 1/4" Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump Kit
- BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor
- DIY Aquarium Screen Top
- BRS 4"x8" Filter Socks
- Bulkheads Schedule 80
- Overflow and Return parts

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some things of the same things. I got the water saver kit, Gyre coming. Also ordered GEO Cal reactor, Co2 tank, AP carbon doser regulator, marco rock with shelve rock, a bunch of stuff from BRS, Apex Probes, modules and API T5s and Your kessil gooseneck plus one more LOL

Im too anxious I can wait. Ive been tracking all the shipments. By Monday hopefully

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many things ordered I can't wait for them to come in so I can start setting it up. Here's what I have coming

- A second Radion G2 from another R2R member.
- Jebao DC-9000 Return Pump
- Maxspect Gyre XF130 from Marine Depot
- 15lbs BRS Pukani Dry Rock. Most that I could order :( I hope they send it as one piece like a requested.
- 80lbs Fiji Pink Arag - Alive
- BRS 150 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit
- 1/4" Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump Kit
- BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor
- DIY Aquarium Screen Top
- BRS 4"x8" Filter Socks
- Bulkheads Schedule 80
- Overflow and Return parts

Schedule 80 bulkheads may not fit the holes in the tank. They are normally a little bigger than the schedule 40 that the tank is drilled for. Let me know how the gyre works in the tank. Still deciding if I want to try one out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back