OP
OP
Nomadic1

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really thats very interesting. I think my tangs would starve without it. They absolutely love the stuff. I feed my clowns spectrum pellets and very recently has he been eating them. Do you frag and of your sps?

When the tank was in its prime, with large SPS colonies everywhere, yes, I did frag things often. After a while, the frag racks got to be really full and distracting from the display, so, I set up a 400 gallon trough in my garage to grow out frags. For a couple of years, it financed my hobby :)

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the tank was in its prime, with large SPS colonies everywhere, yes, I did frag things often. After a while, the frag racks got to be really full and distracting from the display, so, I set up a 400 gallon trough in my garage to grow out frags. For a couple of years, it financed my hobby :)
I was looking into doing that myself. You were talking in past tense though so I'm assuming you frag no more? I trying to get to know as much people for frag swaps and such haha

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person a few years ago. It truly is a beauty!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! That Lokani colony was INSANE. Thats a dream coral if I ever saw one. The raspberry prostrata is pretty amazing too.

OP
OP
Nomadic1

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! That Lokani colony was INSANE. Thats a dream coral if I ever saw one. The raspberry prostrata is pretty amazing too.

Thanks! I got the lokani as a frag, it had come from The Coral Nursery via my LFS. He hasn't had it available in ages. It took years to get to that size.
The raspberry prostrata is gone too. The last guy in town that got a frag of it from me so long ago lost his colony 2 years ago, before I felt my tank was ready for SPS again. I have not been able to locate a frag of it again, as the person I got it from originally as a frag has been out of the hobby for almost a decade now. If anyone knows someone selling either, let me know. The closest coral I have been able to find to it via web search was the Paletta pink and blue prostrata, found in old threads on another forum that shall not be named.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beautiful tank. That 30K Lokani was so so pretty.

In terms of filtration is the skimmer and the Phosphate reactor the only things you use? What about GAC/Carbon? Refugium/Organic Carbon dosing/Biopellets? Seem like a pretty simple setup in terms of filtration if skimmer+GFO is only used; and great results.

Look forward to more pics. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates? :D

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a gorgeous tank - very nice! I enjoyed seeing the various stages and changes throughout the years.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning reef; love it. :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the Tek 8 fixture with the ReefBrite strip, or have you upgraded lights?

OP
OP
Nomadic1

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary,

Yes, same lights that I've been using since setting the tank up, and added the reefbrite XHOs about 2 years ago. I am not sold on LEDs whatsoever, given the poor performance I've seen in my 90 gallon with AI lights.

The only upgrade I would consider for THIS tank would be an ATI sunpower with the two XHO reefbrites, and, that is also likely what I would do if I were to ever upgrade to something larger.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kirk. Certainly no indication you need to change what you have, that's for sure. I know you are meticulous with your husbandry, but the lighting sure isn't hurting that tank. I was just curious. As you know, I am still assembling equipment (and waiting for) my new tank and I am still trying to decide on the lights.

OP
OP
Nomadic1

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You went with a 120, right, Gary? I'd stick with T5s...or, at least a hybrid fixture, and by hybrid, I mean mostly T5s...not an LED fixture with T5 supplements. Good luck with your build. I can't wait to see that ReefSavvy tank.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, A 125 (48x24x25"). I am leaning towards the 48" ATI Powermodule Light Fixture, 3x75W LED & 8x54W T5. I just haven't pulled the trigger on ordering it yet. My intention would be to use the 8 T5s for my main lighting and supplement with the included LEDs. If I do go that route, I would be losing the canopy, so it would be nice to have everything in one fixture. I just wish it didn't cost over $2,000. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back