My coral looks like this after acclimation

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I got this coral from my local fish store and this is what he looks like after I just acclimated he. Also I don’t know the name of this coral because the fish store said this was an easy coral for beginners. Do you think he looks normal for just being acclimated. How long will it take him to open up. Also could someone help me get a name for this coral when it was opened in the store it looked a little like gsp except it was like brown.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I got this coral from my local fish store and this is what he looks like after I just acclimated he. Also I don’t know the name of this coral because the fish store said this was an easy coral for beginners. Do you think he looks normal for just being acclimated. How long will it take him to open up. Also could someone help me get a name for this coral when it was opened in the store it looked a little like gsp except it was like brown.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take some pictures with the white lights on? Really hard to see any details with those pics

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I know it's a lot to throw at you at once, but when you get some free time in the coming hours/days, you might want to read some of the great articles on the coral and New to Saltwater forums about coral care (including lighting/flow) and particularly about dipping to avoid introducing unwanted pests into your tank :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cloves? gsp? ,both will take a bit to settle,moderate flow/light ;)

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first coral? No matter the coral, it can take time (hours or days) for new corals to acclimate to a tank. I would also ensure your tank is ready for corals :)
Yes my tank is ready I have been waiting 10 months.
Temp 79.3

DKH is 7 low

Calcium 420

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a similar issue with Green Star Polyps. I am introducing my third frag as the first two were killed by an ammonia and hair algae spike. But it is taking a a while for them to reach out and show their pretty neon green.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I will get some pics

image.jpg image.jpg

How did you acclimate to your tank? My LFS keeps their alk higher than mine at around 10 - 11 dkh. I keep mine around 8 dkh. If I don't drip acclimate my new frags they don't fair well. I also put them in lower light to begin with. I've killed more coral with high, intense light than with low light.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate to your tank? My LFS keeps their alk higher than mine at around 10 - 11 dkh. I keep mine around 8 dkh. If I don't drip acclimate my new frags they don't fair well. I also put them in lower light to begin with. I've killed more coral with high, intense light than with low light.
Okay thanks

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why did you waste time acclimating it. I have never done that with a coral. Just pull it out after it’s been dipped and washed off and glue it where you want. Never had any problems from mushrooms to acropora

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you waste time acclimating it. I have never done that with a coral. Just pull it out after it’s been dipped and washed off and glue it where you want. Never had any problems from mushrooms to acropora
So just don’t acclimate and they should be fine

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes. pull them out and right into the tank. Well right after you dip them for a few mins in any dip you might be using.
that's how I do mine. Dump them in a cup. Dip them in bayer for about 5min wash them off with tank water real good so no dip goes in the tank and straight into my tank.

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought small Frag of GSP last week and its only just started to open after almost week. just give it time and leave it were it has good flow GSP love high flow areas of the tank mine now lives under the wave maker on the back wall thought this be best place for it and can be controlled lot easier on the main rockwork other wise it has tendency to smother the whole rock scape if not kept controllable

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back